Old 05-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #251
Skoolie

Good point Tango...rebuilding would be just that and wouldn't likely be worth it. I just wasn't sure if the interior were accessible at all.
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #252
Skoolie

Ahh, and thank you Jack, I wasn't aware of the new fittings.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #253
Skoolie

I've been struggling a bit with designing my below deck, external storage boxes. I envy the coaches and their sweet lift up doors, etc., and while I don't want to replicate them I do want and need the compartments to be weather tight and secure.

I have two shuttle doors (that came with my awesome window purchase) that I'm going to convert into doors for this purpose, but I was wondering about using p/u truck tailgates instead, or as well. They're plenty strong and secure, I'd just have to fabricate the two hinge mounts and locking points.

How crazy/stupid is this wild hair?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #254
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
If it was made to stand (support ring on the bottom) than up is it.
If it was made to be restrained on its side (DOT ) then that is it.
If you re-build for what you need then you will never (unless a buddy that's helping and not really) find a place to fill it.
Some things are a strict standard for a reason? Search codes for your area on the www?some states have an age limit on the tank itself as well.
Don't want to buy and install a 20-yr old tank just to find that no one will fill anything older than 12?
There is also a discussion around that is talking about mandating tank inspections for DOT mounted every 4-6 yrs. money for the state but money out of pocket?
To me? Your best bet is to go talk to your local propane supplier (not the grocery store/gas station BBQ exchange places ) the ones who actually run trucks and refill tanks and cylinders for a living. They will give you better local advice as for as an acceptable tank. If they charge it then they are responsible for the gas and you are responsible for the tank not holding in a crash,vibration rub through but they are responsible to verify the tank condition and install before filling for camper/RV, roadworthy type things.
I don't know you man but rebuilding a propane/ NG tank is not a good idea and if you are that good. Then I hope you have the stamps to go with or you are better off buying what you want from the start?
Little story to go with this?
Natural gas is new to the area I live in but not to the area I grew up in (texas) gas company came in a job I was on building everything downstream of them and had a muck up from there factory and asked if my welder could help. I was waiting on them to give me some gas so I said yeah. Man did the simple job easily and inspection time came and they asked for the welder's stamp/cert. and all.because they saw a weld that wasn't factory but as good or better but wasnt painted to perfectly match the factory.and we didn't have there cert.
There system didn't pass and they had to jump through all kinds of loops then and later on just to keep working in the area with the inspectors questioning there choices
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #255
Skoolie

Thanks Mr. Roger...I actually think it was a pretty stupid question on my part. Of course you don't tear open propane tank and rework the guts...sheesh!

Forgive the wasted space!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #256
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I need that welding class!! I never thought about looking for a beginning welding class.. great idea! I wont know until I use one or the other or both.. but I just need to take the plunge, learn some technique and then starting putting some metal together..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #257
Skoolie

I went to the Virginia School of Metal located between Charlottesville and Richmond. Depending on where you are in Ohio you could prolly make this. It's a weekend course of two 8 hour days. Can't say enough...

I left with all the basics I need to do a decent hack job on my bus...just don't look behind the curtain at all the nasty welds, please!

https://www.vaschoolofmetal.com/
Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #258
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
That's what they make grinders for.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #259
Skoolie

Roger that Robin!

I bit the bullet on a truck tailgate. I found a good deal on one for $40, all I need to do is buy the handle for $20 and install it.

Then I get to figure out how to install it on the bus after the roof raise! It has to be secure, obviously, and I have to work with its curvature but I should be able to fabricate hinge and latching posts fairly easily, then it's just a matter of weather sealing it.

It's 5' wide which gives me just over a foot on each end, provided I center it which I might not considering I am planning on putting the potable water tanks in the garage. If I place them to one side as planned then there is no need to center the gate. If I don't center the gate then I'll have more access all the way to the corner on that side.

It came off an '01 Silverado 1500 and is 21" high which has got to be typical. Still, I was planning for a 24" height in whatever rear access solution I came up with in order to reach the full height of the bed platform. I'll prolly keep the bed at ~24" because I need that much height in the garage for the WVO system I want to eventually install.

Speaking of which, does anyone have experience with a WVO conversion? My WVO plan is to put two 50gal tanks plus the centrifugal filter and membrane filters all in the left side of the garage (when facing front). I'm guesstimating on the height I'll need based on some pics and videos I've seen. My plan is to keep the components in the garage which the tailgate will make fully accessible from the rear (I'll also get at them from above with the hinged bed platform).

I thought for a long time about how to create a gravity-feed system but the height required made it really impractical (approaching 4'). So I then started to consider installing two little 12v diesel pumps between the two tanks which made putting them in the 24" garage more do-able. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

As always, THANKS in advance!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #260
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Interesting idea with the tailgate. I'm not sure I correctly understand your intentions, so forgive me if it's the same thing.

When you're doing your raise, what if you left the entire rear wall intact and ended up raising the door 2' higher with the rest of your roof? A taller rear door?

And ok, I don't really understand if the tailgate is like a footboard on the bed to hold things underneath or on the outside of the bus somehow? I must have missed something, but I do like your innovative ideas. A 5' wide tailgate entry to underbelly storage?
Sorry, I usually get exactly what you're saying. Still making nice progress by the way. And on another strange subject, I have no idea what that was there for a while where I'd be posting on another thread and it would end up on your thread.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote