Skoolie

The Lincoln is $549

Shop Lincoln Electric 120-Volt MIG Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder at Lowes.com
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #282
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
We just can't seem leave you alone-- so here goes.

Bed frame material is vert strong and will support quite a bit of weight if it is assembled with bolts and nuts or bucked rivets. It is not a satisfactory material if it is welded (unless done with an oven to control temps). The problem stems from the fact that bed frame material is highly crystaline in nature, almost like steel castings. Welding melts the crystals at the site of the weld and produces an interface between the welded and the unwelded portion which is subject to rapid fatigue and complete failure. Using welded bed frame material to support tanks of liquids or under floor compartments is not a safe practice.

Find a metal provider in your area and purchase mild steel materials of the appropriate shape and size and you will be good to go! Jack

Thanks Jack! But, I have seen/heard of folks using bedframes successfully, or so they say. To me it "looks" the same...cuts, grinds, and drills the same, that is.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #283
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I hear what you are saying, but I'd recommend that you chat with a certified welder about the issue before you try to weld bed frames. After all, I might be the guy behind you when your s*** tank drops off
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #284
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Jack is right...forget bed frames for the reasons stated...crystiline metal...aka:...bubbles. Crap metal. You need to mate metal with like metal for reasonable results.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #285
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
We just can't seem leave you alone-- so here goes.

Bed frame material is vert strong and will support quite a bit of weight if it is assembled with bolts and nuts or bucked rivets. It is not a satisfactory material if it is welded (unless done with an oven to control temps). The problem stems from the fact that bed frame material is highly crystaline in nature, almost like steel castings. Welding melts the crystals at the site of the weld and produces an interface between the welded and the unwelded portion which is subject to rapid fatigue and complete failure. Using welded bed frame material to support tanks of liquids or under floor compartments is not a safe practice.

Find a metal provider in your area and purchase mild steel materials of the appropriate shape and size and you will be good to go! Jack
You can even dumpster dive at a LOT of fab shops. Scap is worth ZILCH and I know of several in my area where I can get steel and even some other metals FREEEEE!
The shop I worked in for over a decade throws away any angle, flat bar, round bar... anything shorter than 48" and often pieces that are nearly full length for seemingly no good reason. Worth a shot, for sure man.
I haven't paid for a piece of steel pretty much EVER, I just know where to look.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #286
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman6631 View Post
The Lincoln is $549

Shop Lincoln Electric 120-Volt MIG Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder at Lowes.com
Yeah, thats the same price as a Hobart 140, and the Hobart is a better machine. I've even seen the 140 on sale before for LESS than $500. Like $479 IIRC. Last time they were on sale a Rural King I think thats what they went for.

For $500, though, you could probably even find a nice lil used Miller.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #287
Skoolie

Well doods, I've heard you all and I do appreciate all of the awesome input! I will review it all again and again.

Thanks also for the intel on dumpster diving those shops. I don't know where you guys are but most dumpsters around me are locked up tight. It's rare that I've found one that likely has what I need that is accessible. But, I will check the local fab shops specifically.

For the budgetary reasons stated above I went with the Lowes purchase of the Lincoln Pro Mig 140. It gets good reviews on multiple sites and will do 5/16" mild steel. I did find a few decent one's on craigslist, Miller and otherwise, mostly otherwise, but since I had that big gift card I had to go there for this purchase. It ended up costing me ~$200 out of pocket. All I need now is some gas!

Check it out!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #288
Skoolie

One question I did think of, which will be painfully obvious to most of you, is whether or not the mig rig I have will be ok for sheet metal. The previous discussion focussed on stick welders, since I brought them up to begin with, which are not ok for sheet metal. Will this mig be too hot for sheet metal?
Old 06-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #289
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
Cool

According to your trusty Lincoln-Pro-Mig 140 Spec PDF
[ http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...480-1/e726.pdf ]

ON the manuals, I don't know which one is yours:
Operators Manuals | Lincoln Electric

you should be alright with welding 24-gauge steel sheet, that is according to some conversion table about 0.025" or 0.635mm - I would hope you have nothing thinner on your BUS!!
[ M E S T E E L ]

Otherwise it is time to break out your trusty OxyAcetylene-equipment OR your TIG-welder!! You don't have either - you better have another gift-certificate for Loewes!!

Please, have a look at your manual according to material and thickness you use different size wire and quality.....

Though it says you DON'T weld 1/4" in one go on gas - have a look at this youtube clip - apparently there is tricks to go with...
[ ]

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some tricks for thinner skin too!!

NOW - it is time to google/youtube/forum your way into the details/mods/tricks of your new toy!!
GO MAD!!

Lincoln itself has at least a weeks worth of stuff for beginners to read up upon!! They have excellent beginners support!

Education Center

Welding How-To's

POWER MIG 210 MP - From Box to Weld Video
[I know it is the bigger brother - but I am sure you will learn something!!]

Lincoln

MIG Welding Forum

Read/Watch/Listen/TRY - repeat!! ASK/ASK/ASK!!

There is NO stupid questions - (...well, there is ONE - the ONE you DON'T ask!!)....

Learning curve is about 87 steep! Meaning - you should become good in no time!!

HAVE fun!!

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #290
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
looks like it can do gas and non-gas flux-cored (which is what i got) and i welded 20ga steel today with my lincoln just fine.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote