EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
I hope you will get much more knowledgeable replies than I can offer, but as a first suggestion I will tell you how I did it. I cut off my lines in approximately the same place you did in the one you thought was to short. I inserted a fitting with barbs on one end of the elbow and pipe threads on the other end of the elbow in each line. Prior to inserting the barbed ends in both lines I screwed in an extremely short piece of pipe in between the two pipe thread ends of both fittings. I then inserted both barbed ends into both of the lines (the fitting at this time is U shaped) and tightened the clamps on both barbed ends. You can drain the radiator coolant into a clean container before you start the whole process to minimize the mess.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #23
Skoolie

Thanks JA Savage.

What you did WAS my plan, I just left out the "drain first" step which seems so obvious now. I hoped clamping it up an down stream would eliminate that step.

My elbows are both barbed at each end, but you say yours are threaded on one end? Also, were you able to get your solution out of the way and into the heater cabinet? That's a big goal of mine but I don't see how to do that.
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #24
Skoolie

Ya we all leave out first steps. I found elbows with 1 barbed end and a threaded end at a local hardware store, it may have been ace or another chain I don't remember exactly, but they are out there. I can't help you with getting them out of the way into to the cabinet because I am not sure yet whether I will put a chair or something else to cover it up, so it is still poking out a bit. If I do not cover it with something else then I think there is enough slack to push it under the cabinet and seal it off if I wanted to. I hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #25
Skoolie

One other thing I forgot to mention is, if you drain your radiator use a clean container if you want to use the coolant again. I disposed of the the used coolant and put new coolant in because the bus had been out of service for awhile. If your bus has been used up until you bought it and you want to reuse the coolant make sure that you collect it in a clean container.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #26
Skoolie

Thanks again JA Savage!

When I take the next decisive stab at it I'll look into the bottom of that heater box again because I can just see the two copper pipes sticking down from that heater coil. I'm hoping to connect them there once I remove the rest of the piping that was running rearward to the heater. Hopefully I'll be able to connect them there from "T" to "T" where they exit the bottom of the heater.

There's not a lot of room to work in there but it would sure make for a clean and tidy connection, one that is fully inside the heater box and safely out of my way as I'm planning on couch seating immediately behind the driver's seat that will house the electronics.

And roger that on the coolant!

Wish me luck!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #27
Skoolie

Hey nat_ster (hoping this gets to you....),

I just got to the part on your build thread about removing the windows BEFORE doing all the grinding, etc., as the sparks will pit the glass...unfortunately it was AFTER I did a lot of grinding and have now pitted the glass - F'up #???

I was able to razor blade off the burnt embers but left pitting behind. Do you know if there is any remedy for it? Is there some kind of polishing regimen I could use to improve the glass surface even a little? Or take it to a glass shop (DOH!)?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

I have had the same problems with Windows on my service trucks. I've talked to several glass shops and they said there isn't anything they can do. I'm not saying there isn't anything that can be done, that's just my experience. I would be interested if there is a solution. That sucks!
Eric
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ya...grinders will do a real number on glass. All those little white hot pieces of metal pit the glass and there is nothing that can be done short of replacing it...except for just living with it and accepting a lesson learned.

Ouch...sorry bud.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #30
Skoolie

Honestly it doesn't appear to be that bad "to me," but that's just me, a noob, so what do I know?

Of course the driver's side windshield got it pretty bad, naturally. Do you know what it will be like while driving? Is it likely to empare visibility greatly? As she sits I can see through it very easily and didn't even notice it until I touched the glass and felt the stubble.