Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #291
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 6,453
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Well, with a gift card I can see why you'd go with that one, for sure. guess I overlooked that part.
I almost bought the Lincoln myself.
Enjoy!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #292
Skoolie
 
Jman6631's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 187
Thank you all again and again!

And now for something completely different...I'm heading into a divorce and need to officially valuate my partially disassembled, not yet rebuilt bus. I assume (there's that word!) it is worth zilch at this point or pretty close to it.


Does anyone know how I could get a value on it as-is? I'm going back to the dealership where I bought it but they may not know either.


ANY help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #293
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 3,368
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
why so much welding? why not just bolt and rivet the hanging stuff under the bus? welds seem so rigid for something that is likely to want to flex a bit as you run over bumps and such in the road... i understand welds for the roof raise ribs but for under-belly hanging stuff just seems like id Bolt it up...

as far the the valuation.. why not just use a nominal figure? if the D is gonna get messy then the Ex will try to take it for reasons other than value so a lower number is better.. if you have it in pieces.. ie in the middle ofa roof raise, nn-running, cant pass state inspection, then you make a really good case for a $500 bus...

id sure not be working on it anymore till that mess was over... at least not working on it in a method that will put it back together or increase its value... as the Ex may want to try and wait it out and then take it from you just to be nasty... even if she "SAYS" thats not he intention....

the dealer only knows what they sold it to you at.. in pieces makes it much tougher as its obviously not worth what it was bought for...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #294
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,197
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman6631 View Post
Thank you all again and again!

And now for something completely different...I'm heading into a divorce and need to officially valuate my partially disassembled, not yet rebuilt bus. I assume (there's that word!) it is worth zilch at this point or pretty close to it.


Does anyone know how I could get a value on it as-is? I'm going back to the dealership where I bought it but they may not know either.


ANY help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Lower than Scrap Metal value, Coming from someone who rotates wives like a farmer rotates crops you price everything at low ball garage sale prices.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #295
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,787
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Dump the bus for scrap and next time marry the Lincoln or Miller rather than some knock off brand.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #296
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 525
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I weld daily for a living and I want all of my storage,tank frames and anything I build underside to be bolted and I am using 12-guage unistrut for most (1-1/2"x1-1/2")
It flexes it moves and twist,can support most of what I want under my bus and can be adjusted or reconfigured later with NO welding involved?
Hence the name. Universal
Love it
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #297
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,773
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Really good stuff. Excellent call.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #298
Skoolie
 
Jman6631's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
why so much welding? why not just bolt and rivet the hanging stuff under the bus? welds seem so rigid for something that is likely to want to flex a bit as you run over bumps and such in the road... i understand welds for the roof raise ribs but for under-belly hanging stuff just seems like id Bolt it up...

as far the the valuation.. why not just use a nominal figure? if the D is gonna get messy then the Ex will try to take it for reasons other than value so a lower number is better.. if you have it in pieces.. ie in the middle ofa roof raise, nn-running, cant pass state inspection, then you make a really good case for a $500 bus...

id sure not be working on it anymore till that mess was over... at least not working on it in a method that will put it back together or increase its value... as the Ex may want to try and wait it out and then take it from you just to be nasty... even if she "SAYS" thats not he intention....

the dealer only knows what they sold it to you at.. in pieces makes it much tougher as its obviously not worth what it was bought for...

-Christopher

At long last I can finally get back to some of this. I've had a really busy and slammed summer. Lots of travel coast-to-coast, then the divorce is taking a lot of energy out of me. Any, thought I'd give you a reply at last...

I like the welding because it seems stronger and more permanent. I can see bolts loosening, even with loctite, from all the vibration and bouncing so welding seems better IMHO. I also figure that's one reason they used so much welding on the structure and frame.

I did get the valuation from the dealer who sold it to me. They say they do this all the time not only for their own purchases (duh) but also for other people who call them. My original salesman was awesome and responded quickly. He did some research and then sent me the valuation on letterhead, coming in at $500, so, nicely done there cadillackid!
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #299
Skoolie
 
Jman6631's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I weld daily for a living and I want all of my storage,tank frames and anything I build underside to be bolted and I am using 12-guage unistrut for most (1-1/2"x1-1/2")
It flexes it moves and twist,can support most of what I want under my bus and can be adjusted or reconfigured later with NO welding involved?
Hence the name. Universal
Love it
Wow, Jolly Roger, thanks...way to blow my fantasy! How are you keeping the bolts from rattling loose and backing out?
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:34 PM   #300
Skoolie
 
Jman6631's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 187
Ok hosers,

I listened, I learned, and I got the Lincoln MIG-140 and finally set her up for a test drive today. Add one cheap-o cart from HF and viola, we're welding baby!





Ok don't laugh...I already have gas tank envy...I ditched the chains that did little to no good and opted for a bungee cord instead...





At first my welds were no better than the flux-core ones I was getting from that sooper cheap-o gasless HF welder that I unloaded to make way for this one. Lots of spatter and really inconsistent beads. I was pretty disappointed but then after fiddling with the settings things got better. Take a look at this:





I was getting better looking welds, at least a consistent pattern. But the beads are too bulbous so I must have had the wire speed set too high. I was following the Lincoln settings on the box, figured I'd at least start there. That and still hearing my weekend warrior instructor telling me I'm going too fast must have combined to build those unnecessarily thick or "tall" beads. It'll get better (right?).
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.