Old 08-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #321

Year: 1989
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: Cummings
For fastening with bolts, you can also use a center punch and hit the bolt between threads close to the nut as possible. Changes the pitch of the thread and its like cross threading it so nut can't loosen.
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #322
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Or just use nylock nuts so they can be removed easily in the future.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #323
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use the nylon stop nuts for anythng in a high vibration area and ive never had one come loose.. but i can take them loose if I need to... of course with bolts comes the need to drill which sometimes can be a pain to get a drill bit into the right spot to make a hole.. so I guess welds can be made in tighter places.. I still prefer bolts...

im glad im gay.. no worries of a divorce.. oh crap wait my kinda marriage is legal now. im too busy running a business and building a bus and having so mucn fun at it that theres no need for marriage or divorce... im also good at making run-on sentences..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #324
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
When did you say the last time your bus was started/turned over?
It does sound like an electrical issue but maybe the engine is stuck at the bottom of a compression stroke?
Try turning the crank over with a decent sized breaker bar and socket but just cause you can't doesn't men that's the problem. I have seen some shutdown on the wrong compression stroke and it gets messy after sitting to move them again but my diesel skills are more heavy equipment than buses.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #325
Skoolie

My bus started two weeks ago on the old batteries. I run it every two weeks like religiously. Then I had that dead battery issue with the old ones and took them in for a charge. That's when I found out the CCA's were way low.

Still, I reinstalled the old ones and they cranked her up just fine. When they didn't again the next time I traded them in and replaced them. Now I have the same starting issue with the new ones.

I tested them and they each have 12.47v no-load. I checked the neutral ground on the frame and while it feels very solid with no play. It's pretty rusty, should I remove it and clean it up? See:

And here is the positive lead at the other end. As you can see it's pretty oily and nasty down there. I'm sure all of this grime is conductive, could it be involved? Would cleaning it help?

This is from the bottom looking almost straight up from the height of the frame, the red arrows are pointing to the positive lead (you can actually see some of the red insulation through the grime!):

Here is a second view from a little higher, camera is more towards the front and looking more towards the rear. The positive lead terminates with a solid bar (red arrow) and has other wires bolted to it (other red arrow):

Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #326
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I use the nylon stop nuts for anythng in a high vibration area and ive never had one come loose.. but i can take them loose if I need to... of course with bolts comes the need to drill which sometimes can be a pain to get a drill bit into the right spot to make a hole.. so I guess welds can be made in tighter places.. I still prefer bolts...

im glad im gay.. no worries of a divorce.. oh crap wait my kinda marriage is legal now. im too busy running a business and building a bus and having so mucn fun at it that theres no need for marriage or divorce... im also good at making run-on sentences..

-Christopher
"Not that there's anything wrong with that!" Helloooooooo Nnnnnnnewmannnnnnn!
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #327
Bus Nut

Without a doubt, I would clean those connections, particularly the ground. Start with the ground; disassemble, wire brush good, apply some dielectric grease, reassemble. That just might solve you're problem. I would attack the positive side too, regardless of whether the ground is the real culprit or not. Clean engines are much easier to diagnose, repair and keep cool.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #328
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yeah man clean up those connections for sure.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #329
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
All battery connections should be dry and clean (shiny metal) to transfer the full amperage of the battery. I wouldn't use a nylock on any current carrying connection due to the possibility of heat melting away the nylon and making it's thread locking abilities null and void. If I have my preference, I'd use a star lock washer. It bites into the connection (making it better) while locking it in place. Second choice is a standard lock washer. I spent my career as a marine tech doing battery connections in the harshest environment one can (salt water commercial boats) imagine. Keep em clean, keep em dry and all is good .
I agree with cleaning up things a good bit. Looks like your skoolie has seen some neglect in the cleanliness dept. A trip to the car wash (serious use of degreaser) might be in order once you get it runnin'.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #330
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78