With the DMV inspection complete I now have my title and applied for my tags. With the temporaries taped front and back and being street legal I took it immediately to the local Freightliner shop to have the brakes looked at. The light has been on and there was a loose component at the rear left wheel set that was hanging loose. Being a major safety system I thought it best to let the pros work on it. I will get her back this week and I'll start on the roof raise.
While all that was going on I finished up the ash galley countertop. I dragged the log out of the woods myself, milled it, assembled it, finished it and attached all of the components. Now I'll put it in storage for when I need to install it (gonna be a while). Here are some progress pics:
Milled, assembled and gorilla glued:
The underside showing the 3/4" plywood strips gorilla glued in plus the 3" angled screws pulling the pieces together:
The topside after gluing showing the intentional unevenness and cracks. I distressed the surface and antiqued it with the 'ol vinegar/steelwool mix. I left the chainsawed edge on the side that will be exposed, an affect I repeated on the sink cutout:
A detail of the live edge with bark still attached, and you can see some of the distressing I did with fake wormholes and scratches:
Finished with a dozen or so coats of polycrylic...love the low VOC and the finish is sooper hard:
Undercounter sink cutout:
Sink attached with faucet and soap dispensing accessories attached:
All in all a decent turnout with the countertop. That ash is damn hard stuff to work with. The sink cutout matching the sink footprint was a challenge for sure. Hopefully you can see how the opening is distressed like the edge.