Old 03-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Have you cleaned your batter terminals? Check your ground wire to the frame? You might even get your battery checked out.
All of this stuff would be good for you to learn to do yourself. Maybe you already do. It's just good to know preventative maintenance in case this ever happens while you're out in the boonies.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #62
Skoolie

Definitely and thank you for the kick in the pants. Unfortunately I've run out of time tonight but I will get right back into this as soon as I get back.

Thanks again for the reply!
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #63
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International Genesis
Chassis: TS 3900
Engine: DT 408 190HP Turbo
Rated Cap: 2+1
After it went off, you may have a reset somewhere that needs tripped.
Remember my Disclaimer: I know othing about nothing, just saying
Old 03-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
do you have an ECM? If so, maybe a hard reset would help. Remove the neg cable from the battery for 30 seconds...... Just a thought.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #65
Skoolie

I do not believe there is an engine control module. This is a 1998 Cumins 5.9L, the last year they made the non-electronic version. But I'll check to verify.

Thanks for the response!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #66
Skoolie

So I've checked the batteries and each are showing 11.75 volts. A little weak but should still be able to start. Again, since I bought it in October it's started strongly every time without issue so this is a real mystery.

The issue followed me removing the rear door contact and housing, verifying it was ok and then screwing it back on. When I hit the ignition that rear sensor does not sound off to indicate the door is not closed (or rather the contact isn't pressed). After that it's a real head-scratcher because I did nothing else to the bus, she just all of the sudden won't start.

Here's a video of what I get when I turn the ignition:

https://youtu.be/duHxThS3tC0

The center warning light is for the brakes which do have a minor issue that I'll get to. The left warning light is for the oil pressure/water temp. Then there is a "P" warning light at the bottom right which you cannot see.

If memory serves all three of these have come on in the past and never impacted it starting, but I could be wrong about the "P" warning light. I've looked through all three of my manuals, Cummins, Thomas and Freightliner and none of them indicate what the "P" warning light is for.

This is pretty frustrating because I'm sure it's something simple but I cannot put my finger on it. Any ideas what I can try next?

THANKS in advance!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

The door safety switch you reinstalled may not be adjusted properly to make contact. You notice they have threads and lock nuts, or some do anyway.
If my guess is right there are two wires on that switch? Try bypassing the switch in case it went bad.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #68
Skoolie

Thanks! I'll try that, but I hadn't yet believing that if there is anything wrong with that switch won't it sound off? There just happened to be an issue with that switch when I bought it. It couldn't be started then but as soon as we figured it out and had it making good contact the bus started just fine and there wasn't an alarm going off anymore. Not hearing that alarm now led me to believe it wasn't that switch, but it's worth verifying at this point for sure.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Yeah, it could be a lot of things. I'm just guessing. Could it be that it's not grounding well after you removed it and cleaned that area?
You're getting lights but it doesn't crank. I'm going to assume you've cleaned the battery terminals and made sure your ground wire has a good connection with the chassie. You've checked your fuses.
When fuses are replaced with breakers in vehicles they reset automatically as far as I know.
Sometimes, and I mean once in a while, a starter gets stuck for some reason and a couple taps with a hammer on the starter casing will make it act like nothing was ever wrong. Just another guess that doesn't cost you much to find out if it works.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #70
Skoolie

Thanks Robin97396,

Just to clarify something, I've been operating under the assumption that if there is anything wrong with that switch that it would sound its alarm whenever the ignition is engaged. Is that a wrong assumption?

I need to completely remove that switch anyway so this is all good, I'm just a little unclear how this thing normally works is all. If I have my way I'll disconnect it from the ignition system all together and be done with it. I'll need to confidently trace the wiring to the ignition side and remove it there, but I'm not sure how that can be done properly without hosing the system and creating a bigger issue.

Does anyone know how to do that? How do people normally deal with this unnecessary switch?

Thanks in advance again - you doods are awesome!