Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Is it an auto tranny? Try moving the shifter around. Or try neutral.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #72
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Not sure about the Thomas buses. However, on a Bluebird there is a small deadbolt below the rear door latch(for security). If it is in the locked position, the starter will not engage.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
I'd say that's a reasonable assumption about the switch being bad and sounding the alarm when the ignition is engaged. There are a bunch of people that have dealt with this same problem in the recent past, but I skimmed through that part. I've gotten to where I like the alarm when I forget to latch a door properly so I don't plan on disconnecting mine.
Does you switch have two wires or just one?
You didn't happen to paint before replacing the switch after cleaning?
It's got to be something simple and right in our faces. It always is.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #74
Skoolie

Thank you all, sdwarf36, wauto and Robin97396!!!

It is an auto tranny and I do think I moved the shifter a couple of times but will try that again. There is no deadbolt at the rear door but I will also check that just to be sure I haven't looked over anything.

My build-out plan is to eliminate the door from the height of the garage roof/bed platform and up while skinning over the rest of the rear (removing all windows). I'll still have exterior access to the garage but only as high as its "roof," if you will.

I did not paint or do anything other than remove the switch housing, photograph it and then put it back. There are two wires feeding it. Here's the pic:

Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Now you've got me scared to take mine apart.

Everything looks right. The only thing I can see is that the protective cover around the switch looks like it needs to be grounded to the bus body. I'm sure you've already replaced everything where it was, but my guess is it's not grounding properly.
There are a number of people that were recently dealing with this same problem. I don't understand why they haven't given their account on the safety switch problem, because this sound identical.
I would suggest starting a new thread named with the specific problem you are having, such as "Emergency door safety switch removal" and I think you'll get some responses.
Personally I would try making direct contact between the two wires leading to the switch to see if that activates the buzzer. The fact that there is no sound at all would indicate a fuse maybe?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #76
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
On my Thomas, there are multiple points that will prevent the ignition circuit from completing:

Side door
Engine bay door
Rear emergency window

What are the colors of the wires feeding that device? Blue and purple? They should also have tiny white letters and numbers on them. The switch usually completes a circuit instead of breaking it, so when the button is pushed, power gets connected.

That switch though, since it has a buzzer, may do the reverse.

Hold on a minute. I still have mine right here. Let me do some tests.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #77
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
Okay, on that switch, if the button is part of the way out, it makes a connection from one of the incoming wires to ground, completing a circuit which should fire off the buzzer. Further up the the line of the 2 incoming wires should be a splice, a red to one and a yellow to the other (it could also be pink to one grey to the other)

Well it turns out my buzzer is fried so I can't test if it is also a relay that's normally open or normally closed.

If you're feeling adventurous, cut and isolate the 2 incoming wires so they dont touch each other and don't touch a ground. See if it starts. If it doesn't, connect the 2 wires to each other and see if it starts. That's the only 2 outcomes that can happen there. My bet is you have to connect the two to keep the start signal going to the starter solenoid.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #78
Skoolie

Success!

Sort of...I took the switch housing off and inspected it. All looked in good order. I took special note of one of the wires going to the buzzer because the wire coming off of it looked kinked. It wasn't so I put it back together and refastened it to the wall and voila, she started up on the first turn just as strong as always. ???

I wish I knew what I did to fix it, but other than simply removing the housing and putting it back on I really didn't do anything definitive. The only weird thing that happened is that now the bus will start no matter if the switch is engaged or not. She'll start with the rear door completely open or closed and latched, and the buzzer does nothing.

RHOMBUS: Thanks a million for the details. I am feeling adventurous and I plan to follow those wires to see where they lead and what they turn into. My hope is to completely isolate that entire switch and buzzer connection at the starter.

I was thinking that it's "prolly" better to isolate it where it starts rather than leaving unneeded wiring running all the way to the rear to potentially (however small) cause an issue in the future once I've got her all completely built out and sealed up. Do you know how I might be able to isolate it at the starter? Would you even recommend it?
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Leave the wire intact minus the dead ends in case you need/want something later unless you are having problems with it (broken wire) then take it out and remember you have room for one more in there? I opened all of my bus ways looked at isololated and added and built to accommodate an accetable/workable portion later if needed.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

I'm glad to hear you got that worked out.

Yeah, those wires could power some lights or something later. Or maybe you'd like to keep that buzzer hooked up so you can freak out guests from your control panel. Well, to much work to get it working again.
My wheel chair door has three switches on it so I don't even want to mess with it until something doesn't work. Besides, sometimes I need the reminders.