Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: the no name bus

whats a 3/4 bus?
it would be a good idea to fix the mechanical issues before you do the other work...

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

I'm only going to say this one time and I won't argue about it if you don't want to hear it: Please find the period (.) key on your keyboard. Those unpunctuated and uncapitalized sentences are really hard to read.

Welcome to the site!
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
the is no bus junk yards around here
Except for the body work, for the most part, a bus is a truck. Get to know the local truck parts guys and mechanics (the old ones, not the parts changers or the "If it ain't in the computer, It never happened" guy").
If there is a truck wrecking yard nearby they can also be a lot of help. Don't go in and say "I have a bus" .Take the part with you and say "Do you have something like this?" There again,IMHO older yard, older guy is better. Note: Old junk yard guys may have the same disposition as their dog.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
I'm only going to say this one time and I won't argue about it if you don't want to hear it: Please find the period (.) key on your keyboard. Those unpunctuated and uncapitalized sentences are really hard to read.

Welcome to the site!

I think he's missing a few keys on his keyboard.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

I'm missing abuncabits in my brain...
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Yes Sir, If you don't use the period and some caps we"ll fine you 300 peanut shells........
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Wow, that's like night and day.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89chevy8.2
Haha aint that the truth.

Does any one happen to know a good control panel for 12v and 110v, possibly wilth a battery tender.

P.S. Im still working on getting the pics of my bus up here, my phone is being stupid if you know what i mean.
Photobucket is your friend...
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Haha aint that the truth.

Does any one happen to know a good control panel for 12v and 110v, possibly wilth a battery tender.

P.S. Im still working on getting the pics of my bus up here, my phone is being stupid if you know what i mean.
I picked up a nice one from Progressive Dynamics that has the AC and DC panels as well as an AC/DC converter and three stage battery charger. Nice unit and the battery charger wizard is one of the better ones.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Adaptor cable or the plug in from the 110v to the other elect connection.. always have one of those.. i just use the short plug in that goes on the end of the shore power extension cord.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

http://www.bestconverter.com/ carries several different brands and has pretty good prices. Very informative website as well. You might want to look at several models. We like the PD4045 45 Amp Inteli-Power Mighty Mini Power Center by Progressive Dynamics. This is the best fit for our needs. We prefer to stick with 30 amp power. We have no problem running at that amount. We do not have several air conditioners sitting on the roof nor are we total electric. We've lived with 30 amp service for several years now. We also tend to pay less for a 30 amp site than a 50 amp site.

The current campground we are in (like many others) doesn't give a fig if you are using a 30 amp adapter on your 50 amp plug and "only using 30 amps"... you will be charged for a 50 amp if they catch you (and they do catch folks). They also had a few electrical fires from folks using adapters and overloading the circuits. So they actively look for adapters. Also the vast majority of the public campgrounds we have frequented in over 30 years of camping/RVng has had 15/20/30 amp service. Suits us but might not suit you. We all have different needs and use our buses in different ways. We do carry a 30/50 amp adapter so that we can plug our 30 amp cord into a 50 amp plug. Handy for when we stay in mobile home parks.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Since we are on the power issues I think i am going with the 30Amp mighty mini (https://bestconverter.3dcartstores.com/ ... p_353.html). I think this should do me well, does anybody know of a transfer switch to go from batt to genny to shore power?
That's the panel I'm using also. It will power one AC unit as well as your other RV stuff if you don't go nuts with the appliances. Home Depot carries 15/15 amp duplex Siemens breakers that will fit that panel but I had to go to an electrical supplier to get a 30/20 amp main breaker for it.

Our generator isn't built in so we have one receptacle for power input and either shore power or the generator can plug in, but not both, so no transfer switch needed.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

I'm using a Marinco three prong locking receptacle mounted outside on the driver's side of the rear of the bus. I can power the bus electrical panel either by plugging into shore power or the generator but not both at the same time. It's not as elegant a solution as a dedicated transfer switches but works for us so far. Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-Standard- ... B0035ODZJ6

That receptacle takes an extension cord with a standard L5-30 plug. The plug locks onto the receptacle by giving it an eightth turn.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=l5- ... 84E48CEA49

I just installed a Trimetric battery moitor to keep track of both my starting and coach batteries. Haven't quite figured out all the bells and whistles yet but it looks like a useful piece.

http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/TriMetric

I check the level in my water tanks by looking under the bed.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
... It's not as elegant a solution as a dedicated transfer switches but works for us so far...
May not be elegant, but it's idiot-proof! Takes only a few minutes to switch the plug from the power pole to the generator. It's how we had the Class C set up. In the 5 years we were in the Class C we only plugged into the generator when shore power went out on us once (maybe twice... it's pretty rare). Other times, the power was out only for 1 hour or less. We prefer the idiot-proof method. We do have our "off" moments.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Roach --- thanks for the info & links. Had the same basic set-up on a little Toyota Odyssey and loved the simplicity of it. Planning on doing the same on this build. Thanks again.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Bus Nut

While one large would work the RV bylaws call for a Black tank for toilet and kitchen waste and grey for shower and bathroom sink... Yes,
kitchen is considered black because of the food scraps that got down the drain... The toilet I think you understand that one.....
Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
O yea do you have to have a black tank an a grey tank? Can you just have one big like say 75 gallons an install pee traps to keep the smell from coming up?
Yes, you can have a single waste tank. There are no "rules" that say you must have separate tanks for grey and black. The Standards & Regulation for Recreational Vehicles are not rules but guidelines that do not need to be followed even by those who are members of the RVIA and slap an RVIA sticker on the RV (says so right in the front of my book). By going with a single waste tank you can forget about being able to "dribble" your grey water in areas/times that allow it. Grey water is often used to "rinse out" the sewer hose (dump black first, then grey to help rinses the "black water" solids out of the hose). You need to install P-traps on your drains no matter what tank you are draining into. All waste tanks smell. sometimes the grey will smell worse than the black. A waste tank just stinks. Since we full time in campgrounds with full hookups, we leave the grey tanks open and only open the black when we need to dump. A shower tends to flush solids from the kitchen sink out of the grey tank.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

has long has it not yellow ,must will let u in ,, koa,will and most older ones will...it just can't be yellow
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Bus Geek

I have talked with a bunch of (private) campgrounds over the phone this summer...only 1 asked for a picture before they would accept a reservation, none came out and said no school buses or even asked

All nat. parks and campgrounds will let you in...it's public land

If I am ever told no school buses...i will get contact info and post it at several of the review sites and just find somewhere to stay for the night...don't lose sleep over it.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

I've never been turned away at any place yet. Don't want to stay in those kind of places anyway with people who think they are better. I have parked in many places next to some expensive rigs, and those people nearly alway come over and have tons of questions about the conversion. There are some hateful people out there, but the one's I've met so far have been really friendly.

As for a single tank, that is all I have due to space underneath. My bus has a mid-ship engine and I only had room for one. But no big problems with that because I don't dump any water on the ground anyway. Like Lorna said though, be sure to put traps on every drain.