Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: THE ORIENT EXPRESS

Kinda like Reeves which while its an ACE Hardware, is unlike any ACE hardware I've ever been in. The one in Clayton (original store) is a great place and in one of the original buildings in Clayton. But I prefer to buy my Lodge from the factory outlet store in South Pittsburg, TN (I-24 exit 152 S.Pittsburg/Kimball). Right now, I have more cast iron than I need. Some of it is old unmarked Lodge.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #72
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Kinda like Reeves which while its an ACE Hardware, is unlike any ACE hardware I've ever been in. The one in Clayton (original store) is a great place and in one of the original buildings in Clayton. But I prefer to buy my Lodge from the factory outlet store in South Pittsburgh, TN (I-24 exit 152 S.Pittsburgh/Kimball). Right now, I have more cast iron than I need. Some of it is old unmarked Lodge.
Seems that Ace stores have some freedom about what to stock, here in SoFla I know 5 or 6, each of them has it's own sort of niche stock items tucked between the regular Ace stuff.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #73
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

While it does have it's third world charm, I don't think I'd really care to share my living space with a bucket of human waste, no matter how much kitty litter it was mixed with.
They are indeed quite simple to build, since taking a dump in a bucket isn't a particularly complicated thing.
I don't really have any firsthand knowledge of these things and would really like to keep it that way.

I'm always quite baffled by people's fascination with these things.

Quote:
... just comment positives or negatives.
Well, just my comment/thought.

Tom
Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #74
Skoolie

IMHO, if you are willing to use a bucket you could as well go behind a tree...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You need to take into account WHERE you will dump it at. If you have a rural home that you can build a humanure compost pile, that will work fine. You might have problems dumping it in a trash can at a private or public campground. Human waste is considered "hazardous waste" and is why the EPA gets involved with RVer's who practice illegal dumping of their grey and black tanks. Has nothing to do with the chemicals that may or may not be in the tanks. Mother Earth News has articles on using pit toilets and dealing with the contents. Buy some of their books and read a lot!

For me... I will gladly take my little Traveler 910 and dump the black tank into the sewer pipe every so often. A CHEAP alternative (possibly cheaper than building a pit toilet in your bus) would be to buy a portable cassette toilet. For $80 you can have a nice high one where your knees won't be even with your eyes when you sit down! And they both will use "regular" toilet paper. We had one for years. You can dump them into any regular toilet or, with care, into a sewer pipe. We rarely used chems and "sloshed" it a bit before dumping to make sure the TP wasn't in "globs" which can cause a yukky splash back.

These things are handy. We have used ours during power outages (no water), bathroom rebuilds, potty training the kids as well as camping.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Global-Pas...oilet/12321234 $80 delivered to your local store
http://www.walmart.com/ip/COLEMAN-FLUSH-TOILET/13848611 $68 delivered to your local store
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

You may be able to do a search on the forums here for composting toilets. I remember a couple of years back we had quite the discussion. Whatever format you decide upon, do yourself a favor and create a mock up first for comfortable seating position. Especially that corner configuration. You may have less space than you imagine.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

I have to second the rec for a "porta-potty" if you are not building in a holding system. Had one on my old Blue Bird and it was simple, clean, odor free and relatively easy to deal with. Can even be tucked away when not in use. And given the "new" attitudes regarding waste disposal, you're much less likely to encounter any hassles at dump time.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

My only recco for the composting toilet is to separate the liquid waste from the solid waste. Something like this would make it fairly easy to incorporate into a homemade unit. I have built and used a homemade unit, and currently use a Nature's Head model.

Whether you go the composting route or with the standard RV-style flushable toilet &tank, you'll eventually develop habits and routines for dealing with it so it just becomes part of life. No worries.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #79
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerforhire
Also if on the road the waste could be deposited into a trashcan discretely. however im not 100% on the legalities of that, but diapers and kitty litter are thrown into the refuse all the time, so it should not hurt a thing.
Size matters!.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Depends on you situation I suppose. I've been experimenting with the kitty litter-in-a-bucket method for the past 3 or4 days and the conclusion I've come to is that if I have the opportunity to pee outside somewhere then the bucket it feasible as a limited use option. But man, you go through a lot of kitty litter trying to soak up all that pee! Though I must say, not having ready access to a dump station makes this option pretty convenient. Also, it doesn't smell at all. I am thinking of also getting one of the cassette style toilets like Lorna is describing in case I find myself in a place where I have to dump in a sewer. I suppose I'd have to decide ahead of time which toilet to bring since I would not want to have to carry both.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote