Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #1

The Sandbox

Hello this is me and my wife's bus, "The Sandbox". It is an '82 International Thomas built bus with a 404 MV gasoline engine. The conversion is not completed and still evolving.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/The-Sandbox

ADMIN: Moved it and added the link for ya

Old 05-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

If this question was directed at me....

No I never lived in Hope. I grew up in Anchorage, currently live in Kodiak, and will soon be moving to Valdez.
My Bus Blog (hasn't been updated in a LONG time)
AK-Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #3

Who's the owner of "HOME" bus...?

I lived in Hope, AK and the "HOME" bus was park in town for a little while. It was a younger dreadlocked dude, but I can't remember his name. He didn't convert it but bought it from the guy who did. Anyway, just seeing if he posted the pics of "HOME" or the the guy who converted it did.

What do you guys out there think of the lay-out of my bus?

I run everything electrical w/ Solar and the rest with propane and it's got the ammenities of a motor home(hot water, fridge, oven, furnace, toilet, tub, and water filtration). I also have a small cast iron wood stove in it also.

peace
Old 05-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
The Home Bus

If I'm not mistaken, the Michael and Millie from

http://www.mobilehomestead.com

were the owners of the Home bus.

They are currently converting another bus, the progress of which conversion can be seen at their website.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #5

I am 100% positive that the HOME bus was purchased by a dreadlocked dude that ended up in Hope, AK in winter of '99. I lived in Hope and he parked it 50 yards from my cabin. I hung out in it several times, but found that it wasn't comfortable for having guests over. There was a dining table up front, a large kitchen, and a large bed in back. Very nice craftsmanship though. I am a music junkie and love to see live music and take my bus. Having the living/bedroom up front allows for a nice "hanging out" area w/ bathroom in the middle. Putting the kitchen in back and having access from both doors helps for ventilation and a roomier feeling(in my opinion). Anyway, seeing if I could track that guy down so he could check out the bus my wife and I built.

thanks for the info and link
Old 05-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Skoolie

Yup….”Home” was our last Bus.
I did the conversion out on Homer Spit. I forget the guy’s name we sold it to …nice guy though.

He was at the time living in a motor home up in Girdwood and found out we were selling’ Home’…. zipped on down to Homer & bought it.

I miss the nice wood stove I put in that bus….
Old 05-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Skoolie

I checked out your pics …I like your setup.
Rear kitchens are nice …when we move back to Oregon next year sometime; I’m building a 35-40 foot 5Th wheel trailer as a home base we’ll park somewhere.
It will have a rear kitchen.

“Home” wasn’t really designed for visitors…. I’m a somewhat ‘Social’ sort of guy, but I’m more concerned with having a rig setup with the stuff I want …so I tend to design our living spaces with only Millie & I (and at the time I did ‘Home’, our daughter Becky’) in mind.
That roof extension was Becky’s Bed Room…. below it was a couch that our big Labrador “Chewy” confiscated for his living space.

I liked “Home” …but it was more a cabin designed to take an Alaskan winter than a really nice ‘Rolling Home’.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #8

Very nice craftmanship I remember!!! Nice job!!! Your new project is looking like it's coming along nicely...We built 'The Sandbox' in Alma, CO which is the highest incorporated town in N. America(10,578 ft.) So I know what's it's like building in high winds and cold elements. Not a whole lot of fun, but well worth it. Anyway what part of the lower 48 you guys headed to. We have been living in New Orleans for six months, but moving back to Colorado by July. We're thinking of moving to Lyons which is 20 minutes North of Boulder w/ 1800 people. Elevation is only 5,300 ft too which means we can have a garden.

Good Luck and hope to see the new one in person one day!!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:12 AM   #9

We were thinking of Oregon too, but for now Colorado. We lived in our bus last summer for about 5 mos. and still need to finish up a few things before living in it permantly. I'm a tile contractor and Colorado has treated me well with the $$$$. I would like to purchase some property and live in the bus while building a cabin, but for now too broke to buy anything. Idaho still has affordable land, but not a whole lot of work that pays.

peace
Old 05-09-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
Bus Nut

You guys sound like me as well. I live in OR currently but cannot afford the taxes and overall cost of living here anymore. I grew up in CO and am seriously considering moving back. I am also looking at Idaho. The most affordable land in CO seems to be around Pueblo from what I have seen. I am stuck here for a while though becaues it takes money to move.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:03 AM   #11

One bad thing about Colorado is it's drying up more and more every year. I know wild fires are evolution, but sketchy if thinking about purchasing land. One good thing about Idaho is it's elevation is better for gardening. Looking to homestead one of these days and Idaho seems to be the place. Colorado has the $$$ so that's where I'm headed back to now.

What part of Colorado are you from Busone?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Skoolie

Millie, Becky & I used to live in Boulder CO back in the late 80's...neat place.
I bought my first Split-window VW Van to live in there...never drove a VW before so we thought our reverse gear was broken (did'nt know you pushed the gear stick down to put it in reverse)
We used to pop her in Neutral ...get out and push when we wanted to back up

Oregon expensive ????
Hahhh !!! Try living on an Island in southeast Alaska....
I cant wait to move and get to a place where a head of wilted lettuce doesn't cost close to $4.00....or a out of date steak that costs $12.00 a lb....
Old 05-10-2004, 09:24 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I grew up really close to Chatfield resivor in unincorporated Jefferson County. I actually can remember when that area was farm land and cows used to roam where cookie cutter houses are now. About the only area I could afford back there is around Pueblo. I am not sure about it though because of the drought and wild fires. This fall I am planning a trip to visit family and we will check out the pueblo area. On the way I also want to look at Idaho Falls and Twin falls.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote