Old 12-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Huh? What just happened?

Demonknight...Come on over! I'm sure we can find something to do around here!...especially now that I have the bus!
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the update/story. It was tough dealing with: "When we last left our hero, he was sitting all night in the Denver Airport waiting for a flight to . . "
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

CONGRATS!! THATS A GREAT LOOKING BUS!! Sounds like you got a GOOD 8.2!!! Those were nicknamed "fuel pinchers" because of the decent fuel mileage.

Also its normal for those to fire up on half a crank!

Now its time for DEMOLITION!!!!!!!!!!
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

OH.. I LOVE THE NAME "SILVER SNAIL"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK THATS PERFECT!!!
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #25
Skoolie

The tough thing right now is that the weather absolutely blows...literally! High wind warnings and such. Which means all kinds of crazy cold wind chills, so there's no work that can really be done. So now I have to stare out my living room window and dream...so close, but yet so far. Of course, as soon as the weather breaks and I can work outside, I have some snowbird friends of mine that said I can use their shop (and tools) for the next two months while they're away! So I can't work outside because of the cold, and I can't work inside because my friends' travel trailer is in the way...although it's their space! I'll miss them when they are gone, but having an enclosed area with power to work in will be nice!

The next steps will probably be something like this:
-remove seats!
-remove seats from a donor conversion van
-install new seats
-work on getting some better heat...maybe flush the coolant. The bus just never really seems to want to get very warm. I have no idea why.
-at least for the next couple months I want to put some kind of wall up behind the 5th window. I can't do anything major to the body until my friends come back from Texas and this will give me a real idea of how much space I'll really have when I do the cutting.
-get tunes and video installed. I really want to rip into the floor right away, but making it into a family transporter is the first priority I think. Maybe in late January or early February I can rip into the floor. That'll give me a little time for the ol' Obama $$$ to start rolling in!

The ultimate goal is to make my bus look like a nicer version of this one I had a link out to an eBay listing awhile ago...which I nearly bought. It will look something like this...but pulling a horse trailer!

I'd really like something like this...
But this one's a little rich for my blood...champagne tastes, Boone's Farm budget!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n1599960355_30163972_7010549.jpg (16.3 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg 17536_1232720230366_1599960355_30575120_5425790_s.jpg (4.2 KB, 554 views)
Old 12-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Great story & great bus! Welcome to the madness & enjoy your new "baby"!

CONGRATS!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #27
Skoolie

Last night, Lesa and I got 6 of 11 rows of seats pulled. I'll have to post up a pic. Although, you all know what that looks like! We tried the air impact wrench up top and socket down below. It worked well, when it worked. When it didn't, it just didn't. So we took the grinder to the rest...and they were out! We just need to get the seats out of the donor van when we get home. We just made a 400+ mile trip to Christmas at in-laws. The bus ran like a top! vanguy_67's suggestion to put a winterfront on it for better heat was fantastic...thanks again! The wife and kids were very happy with the heat! I was dying it was so hot! Amazing what a little cardboard can do.

Although, it was almost the trip that wasn't. I guess that sometimes the brakes get a little moisture on the drum and the shoes will freeze to it. It's happened on my Suburban because I'm a fan of parking brakes. Usually, just a little gas and they unstick themselves. However, air brakes seem to be different...somehow. I had to call a guy to bring over a blowtorch (should have taken a picture...flames shooting out from under the bus!). But a little heat, and they were unfrozen and away we went...getting 9.8 mpg on one leg of the trip!

I was pretty sure that there was frozen air lines, but it the mechanic said I wouldn't have 125 psi air pressure! I'm not sure what the bill will be. I don't think too much. He was there 20 minutes and they are pretty reasonable. I don't think that I need a blow torch of that magnitude, but I'm going to get one of those mini torches for next time.

Over and out...
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #28
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Great story, good pictures! I will look forward to more progress reports and pictures as the build progresses. I spent several years in Enterprise, Kansas near Abilene as a kid. As I recall, Goodland is so flat you can play pool pretty much anywhere, fields, roads, yards, etc.
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #29
Skoolie

It's pretty flat out here...that's for sure! Although, north of town there are some really nice hills to torchure my Cross Country Team with! They're the only hills in Sherman County I think!

But we have made some progress on the bus. I think I mentioned pulling out 6 rows of seats. If I didn't, we did. That was before our trip back to Eastern Kansas to pick up kids from their stay with the non-custodials. We ended up sleeping in the bus two of the three nights we were gone. The first night was just my wife and myself (and the dog). We had the electric blanket on low and we were all kinds of warm. A little snuggling too. The next night was on the road with the kids. I was just too tired to drive, so we pulled over at the rest area and camped out. It was chillier because when the bus wasn't moving, the heater temps really dropped off. The motor just seems to run incredibly cool. I'll appreciate that in the summer I suppose!

I know that I owe some pictures. I'll get some tonight.

I also made progress getting the seats out of the donor van. My neighbor owns a salvage yard and had a full size Chevy conversion van laying around. He said I could have the seats and whatever I wanted from it for $75 if I pulled it myself. So I spent the better part of yesterday pulling the 4 captains chairs and electric sofa out. I'll have to go back for the seat bases, seat belts, and some lights and switches for the couch. The seats are in fair shape. I'm hoping with a good shampoo and some seat covers, no one will know the difference.

The next project will be finishing the seat tear out, and installing the new seats! I'm hoping to have a new driver & navigator seat lined up too!

Pictures forthcoming!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSkewlHauler
The motor just seems to run incredibly cool. I'll appreciate that in the summer I suppose!
I've been wondering for a while if a previous owner pulled the thermostat and left it out. Back when I was a kid, some cars had winter 'stats and summer 'stats, and sometimes owners just left the winter 'stat out in the summer.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote