Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Re: The Silver Snail...

Got the parking brake toggle switch done! Now my DVD works like a champ. Yes, I am a nerd.

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #62
Skoolie

I remembered the other night that a few years ago I bought some white indoor/outdoor MTX bookshelf speakers. They're identical to the Realistic ones I was using to "test" my system. Both of these speaker pairs have mounting brackets with them. So the easiest thing to do was mount a pair down low, near my feet, and up high behind the driver seat and on the passenger side. I got them all in and wired yesterday...dang!!! Not that I need it loud, but it will really put out clean, crisp sound. I was impressed.

The Realistic (Radio Shack) speakers are an 8 ohm Minimus 7 model (nearly older than sound itself), and the MTX are also 8 ohm model mp41w. I really didn't want to use 8 ohms speakers, but that's what I had lying around. I don't think it'll do any harm to the speakers or the head unit, just decrease the power a bit. As loud and clear as these got, I don't think I want to know what the 4 ohm speakers would sound like...eh, who am I kidding, of course I want to know! Eventually, the MTX units will be moved toward the rear of the bus and I'll get some different speakers for behind the driver area. I'll need to build some cabinets first.

I also played with the navigation part of the unit...it was cool. My DROID has Google Maps and I like it a lot, but this on board navigation gives a speedometer-like display that I can use to check my speedo and stuff. I like it. I didn't even have to put the antenna outside the bus...no holes! I mounted it up high inside the upper bulkhead and it works well.

Other things I found whilst playing with wires, my driver side mirror would also frost over. I was supposed to have heated mirrors. I never looked close enough to discover than the mirror that's there isn't heated. The wires are there, but the mirror isn't a heated one. That will need to be replaced before winter. Also, my AM/FM antenna is shot. I ordered a new one this morning for $22. It's the same style that was there. I thought about getting something different, but I kinda like this set up.

Well, that's all for now. I'll probably be putting things back together the next day or two. That way, we can take it on the road baby!

Ben.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #63
Skoolie

Since I'm using this like Twitter or Facebook...

I just got the Silver Snail back from the doctor. 45 minutes of drive netted me a savings of $100 and two weeks worth of waiting. I called repair places in town and they wanted $300 to lube, oil, and filter my 8.2L DD. I called the next town over, a Detroit Diesel place, and they had time to do it TODAY and for $200! I don't know what a good deal on that normal runs, but I'm pretty happy with that price. I wanted to take her for a drive anyway, so the hour and half driving didn't bother me at all.

So for $200 I got both oil filters changed, both fuel filters changed, oil changed, an oil sample collected to send off, full lube job ( ), and a clean bill of health. I'm a happy camper!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

not bad. an oil change alone up here for my 7.3 is $100 and change. got that and rear diff done last service. but i doubt the idjits greased...
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #65
Skoolie

It's been awhile since I posted anything on the bus. But being that my one year anniversary of bus ownership is approaching, I thought I'd start up talking again...

Now that school is out for Christmas break, I plan to do a few things...and post pictures.

One project is my homemade winterfront. I'll be making it from some used co-op tarp and Wally World snaps. We'll see how it holds up. I'm heading out to Wyoming in a few days, so it'll get a good test. Another project...of almost equal importance...is to finally install my heated, power, leather seats from a 2000 Chevy Impala. I've had them since February of this year and they've just been riding in the bus. Time to finally lock them into place. I think I have my plan. We'll see. I also need to test out a rooftop AC unit I bought at auction for $15! If it works, I'll look like a genius...otherwise I'll have another piece of junk to get rid of! It doesn't have the inner control unit, but I've found one for $50 or so. I think it's cold enough now that I don't need to worry about installing the AC unit though!

Wish me luck!
Ben.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

does the 3 way 12v port work ok?
Old 12-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #67
Skoolie

Leonidas, I had the work done at a Detroit/Allison place, so they were probably a little higher than your average mechanic. But I'd had the bus for 6 months or so at that point and didn't know much about it mechanically, I thought I'd pay the money for the peace of mind factor. If I recall the bill was $200 plus or minus $5. They checked all the fluids, changed all the filters (2 oil, 2 fuel), checked u-joints, lubed suspension parts, etc. I kinda figure it's a once yearly job, so I just need to throw that into the budget. As much as I love tools and getting dirty, I figured at least the first time I should pay to get a clean bill of health. Next time, I'll probably do it myself, then take it to the dealer the following time. That way I double check my work and they have some kind of a record of what's going on with my motor.

Putterspitt, the 3-way 12v power port is a Wally World special. It works just fine. I plug my 300watt inverter into it as well as 2 phone chargers without any trouble. It's even seen a little moisture being on the dash near the window. (I kinda left the window open overnight once...or twice). I've been pretty happy with it. I tagged into a hot lead from the battery so that it's always on. Most of the stuff in my console is wired to come on only when the key is on...not even on accessory! So it took a little digging to find a spot, but I did. I think my radio is tapped that way too.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #68
Skoolie

I did get one seat in today! I'll post pics in the morning. I'm really pretty excited. The original seat wasn't bad...or so I thought. Once I sat in the new seat, I quickly realized how sucky the old one was! Heated leather is the way to go! I got a 20 AMP circuit breaker for the power adjustment part. I put the circuit breaker in the console with the other breakers. This will power both seats. I tried to copy (as best I could understand) the set up GM seems to use on their SUVs. Then I found an empty space in the chassis fuse panel and attached an inline 10 AMP fuse via spade connector. This will heat both seats.

I got the driver seat installed and functional. It is really awesome. I can't wait to get the navigator seat done tomorrow. WIth the wiring done, I don't think it'll be too bad to do the other seat. Somewhere I saw that someone took a minivan seat (Pontiac Montana IIRC) and used it as their nav seat. The reason being that it folded flat, then tilted forward. Since I don't have my door relocation project even on the radar yet, I think that I (my friend Dennis mainly) will try to make it so that my nav seat will do the same. Although, I think that we'll need to recline the seat, then put it forward.

I got two marker bulbs replaced too. I'll also need to work on my winterfront! PIcs shall be forthcoming! Tomorrow's gonna be a great day for busin'!

Ben.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #69
Skoolie

As promised...or in most cases, required. Updated pics!!!
Attached Thumbnails
front view with winterfront.jpg   driver seat.jpg   driver seat wiring.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #70
Skoolie

There's more...
Attached Thumbnails
seats down.jpg   outside looking in seat down.jpg   outside looking in seats up.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #71
Skoolie

and more...
Attached Thumbnails
passenger seat tilt.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #72
Skoolie

So that's been my last two days. Tomorrow I go seat belt shopping. A guy here in town has two old skoolies that have seat belts in all the seats. I think I can have them for a song. That will go a long way to making the passenger seat safer. Right now, there's no belt. There is also no locking mechanism to keep the seat from tilting forward. But I believe that the seats are heavy enough and the pivot point is such that it won't be an issue. Plus, it will encourage my navigator to wear his or her seat belt! Thanks to my friend Dennis, who did 90% of the thinking and fabricating on the seats. Also, thanks to whomever used the van seats in the same way...I never would have thought to do this by myself. Of course, when I relocate my door, it'll be a moot point, but it's cool in the meantime!

Ben.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #73
Skoolie

Well, we made it to Wyoming last night. It took awhile, but we made it! There were a few times with we were crawling over the pass on 287 from Ft. Collins to Laramie. But the Silver Snail didn't miss a beat! The roads were great until we got north of Ft. Collins...Wyoming got hit with 18+ inches of snow and the roads were a little icy...about the same kind of conditions as when I brought her home one year ago!

The new seats were a God-send. I'm really glad I got motivated enough to finally put them in. The only change I needed to make was to put a higher amp fuse for the heated seats. I'm not sure what they draw, but it fried a 10 amp fuse. I put in a 15 amp and it was good. The wire is rated for 17 amps and the holder for 20 amps, so I "should" be safe.

It was really nice to have my son riding next to me on the trip...instead of pouting in a back seat about how "stupid" this was. It was even kinda fun to let the dog ride up there for awhile, while my son ate lunch. Although, I really want to keep him off the leather! I did get the seat belt in for the navigator seat, but not for the others yet...which is fine. After our vacation, I'll be working on that.

Because the navigator seat turned out so well, I'm reconsidering my door relocation project for the summer. I've seen it done very well, and I'm sure that (with help) I could do just as good of a job. But with the navigator seat being so cool and functional, I don't see a "need" to move the door. Of course, with the bed pulled out, that may be different. Although, I suspect that for all intents and purposes it would be easier to make a set of external steps for the back door and utilize it. I've also seen some really nice front door modifications too, so it's certainly food for thought I guess.

One thing I'll be doing is changing the workings of the foldout couch. I really want more leg room in the center isle. If I remove the fold down back and make it into a fold up "footrest" like on a LazyBoy, it should afford me more leg room...and more walking room past it to enter and exit the bus. I realize that I'll have to build some kind of a leg to hold it up when I convert it to a bed, but I think the increased functionality will outweigh the negatives.

I've have to post a pic or two of the seatbelts and of the snow out here. It was really amazing to see last night!

Ben.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #74
Skoolie

I haven't done much work lately on the bus. I am going to scrap my door relocation idea in favor of putting a nice storm door in place of the bi-fold. The two doors I'm looking at are a Larson Secure Elegance and an Anderson 4000 Series. Both have a "triple lock" mechanism, laminated safety glass, and can be had in custom colors. I'm hoping to spend no more than $350 for the door. A little pricey, but it should provide me with some security and safety. I'm going to get a 32" door in black with brushed nickel hardware. This should match the bus nicely. I should have my income tax refund within the next week, so I'll order it then. The hardest part will be waiting two weeks for the door to come in!

I think I remembered who had the Montana seats...TRX. I just thought I'd throw that out there. I was also stressing about how I was going to find a 30" door until I recalled that he used a 32" door for his bus...which is (was) identical to mine. So thanks Chad!

As soon as I make some progress, I'll post some pics!

Ben.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Sounds like your making some good progress...the front seats look really nice
Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #76

When I was in the Navy these are the bunks that we used and this is the style I will be installing in my bus in the future of course my bus is only in the planning stage.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasshaw/2426461183/
They are 3 bunk beds the mattress lifts up and there is storage, of course the larger Navy ships had personal Entertainment systems installed TV and DVD and stereo. Just another Idea for more space in the bus conversion.
juzcruzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #77
Skoolie

Thanks. I'm really happy with how things are turning out so far. I still have a long way to go, but it's been a fun trip!

I pulled the trigger on my replacement for my bifold door. I ended up getting an Andersen 4000 series full view security door. It has the laminated safety glass. It's identical to GoneCamping's Larson Secure Elegance. I had to special order it, so it should be here by the end of the month! I ordered it in black with nickel hardware to match the bus. I can't wait to get it and install it. It cost a little under $350. But I really like the look on GoneCamping's (former) bus, and the idea of the safety glass couldn't be beat. We'll see if it's worth all the hype in two or three weeks!

Ben.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #78
Skoolie

I ordered a TV from Amazon.com last week and it finally came. This is the TV:

http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HL22XSL2-Bl ... 943&sr=8-4

It's not advertised as a 12V TV, but with the external power transformer, it should be an easy adaptation to life in the bus. Right now it's in the house and I'm lovin' it! It should go will with the rest of my A/V system. I need to get some cabinets built to mount the TV to, but that'll be "later." My door should be here in about a week. Once I get the new door on, then I'll figure out how to mount the TV and the amp I'm getting from my brother. I'm probably going to order new speakers this weekend too.

When it's all said and done, I'll have my 22" TV, 7" touch screen DVD/radio/Nav dual zone head uni and 8 speakers. I'm pretty excited to see how it all works out.

That's all for now!
Ben.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #79
Skoolie

Got all my "stuff" now! I just got the speakers this week and the door today. I removed the door and will put the new door on tomorrow! Here's a couple of pics:
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #80
Skoolie

...and 8 hours later (and a few choice words later), we have:
Attached Images