Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #81
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: The Silver Snail...

Nice, That is a great look. I'm gonna look into that style door once the rain slows down and summer gets here. Any detailed pics you have from construction would be totally helpful.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #82
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

I can't view (enlarge) those attached images.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #83
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

Unfortunately, I really don't have any "work in progress" pics. I was doing most of the work myself, so I didn't get many pics taken. I'll answer any questions you may have though! I can go back and take pics of stuff if anyone is interested. One thing I will say, is that I really wish I'd have removed the hinges. It looked like it was going to be a bigger job than it really would have been. Each of the bolts holding the hinges on came out very easy. I didn't want to take them out for fear they would've been tough to remove. As it was, I had to make swiss cheese of my hinge side door frame. I think it turned out ok because of the strips used to hide the screws, though.

I'll post some new pics in a different way. Hopefully, those pics will upload better and be more visible.

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #84
Skoolie

...and another month goes by and nothing really new to report. I never did post new pics did I? I will do that sometime.

I do actually have something new to report...I ordered a $14 back up camera off feebay. I thought about getting two, but I really doubted how well it would work for that price. But I finally got it hooked up today. It works great. So well in fact, that I ordered another one! My plan is to mount them so that one of them will give me a wide view, then the other one will "zoom in" on a yet-to-be-installed trailer hitch. It sounds good in theory.

Also, I got 8 new speakers, EQ, and an amplifier. I still have some tweeking to do with the system and figure out a permanent mount for my TV, but it's getting closer to being able to be put together. I'm hoping to have all the panels back on before summer hits. I want to use it!

Ben.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #85
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzcruzzin
When I was in the Navy these are the bunks that we used and this is the style I will be installing in my bus in the future of course my bus is only in the planning stage.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasshaw/2426461183/
They are 3 bunk beds the mattress lifts up and there is storage, of course the larger Navy ships had personal Entertainment systems installed TV and DVD and stereo. Just another Idea for more space in the bus conversion.

.. Mini-hijack .. funny enough, last time we were up looking at the New Jersey I was eyeballing those same style bunks and thinking about using that design as well .. there is a very similar "skoolie design" version in the book "Bus Conversion Floor Plans" by Ben Rosander (book is a collection of other books and plans from many sources) using 2x6's as the frame of the bunks and under-bunk hatches ..

.. Back on topic .. the Silver Snail looks like she is coming along nicely .. slow progress is still progress and you are miles ahead of me .. lol .. I'm still shopping for the "perfect project" ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #86
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
the larger Navy ships had personal Entertainment systems installed TV and DVD and stereo
I was on a carrier, we were lucky if the air vents that go to each bunk worked. Our lockers were at the back wall of the bunk. You had to be laying in the bunk to get at anything, we didn't have the standing lockers either.

The Constellation CVA 64 was decommissioned in 2003
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Somewhere --- When were you on "The Connie"? I was an Airdale on the flight-deck of the Kitty Hawk from '63 thru '66 and she was our sister ship for a couple of the three tours we did in the Tonkin Gulf. And, BTW...welcome home.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #88
Skoolie

Good gravy...I haven't been here in forever. I feel so old with all the new people. It's totally awesome. Hopefully, I'll be about to stay in touch and maybe get some work done on the Snail this spring!

My door is great. I love it. I still need to do something about the gap down at the bottom I have a plan for it, I just haven't had the time to execute that plan. But I really love the door and visibility...and durability.