Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #201
Bus Nut

You're looking at approximately 30-35 4x8 panels for a 40' flat-nose (it really depends how much of the original window area you'll be insulating). Not sure what your ultimate use scenario is for Transcendence, but I'd recommend you also consider using polyiso panels, especially in the ceiling/roof. The extra 60% gain in R-value (R-13) may prove worthwhile. You could probably get away fine with R-8 in the walls/floor.

BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #202
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
You're looking at approximately 30-35 4x8 panels for a 40' flat-nose (it really depends how much of the original window area you'll be insulating). Not sure what your ultimate use scenario is for Transcendence, but I'd recommend you also consider using polyiso panels, especially in the ceiling/roof. The extra 60% gain in R-value (R-13) may prove worthwhile. You could probably get away fine with R-8 in the walls/floor.
I plan on living in it full-time for a very long time. I've done a roof raise and deleted pretty much all the windows.....Check out a couple links in my thread for my YouTube updates if you'd like to check it out. I'll definitely look into the polyiso for the roof. I definitely want this to be well insulated. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #203
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
I plan on living in it full-time for a very long time. I've done a roof raise and deleted pretty much all the windows.....Check out a couple links in my thread for my YouTube updates if you'd like to check it out. I'll definitely look into the polyiso for the roof. I definitely want this to be well insulated. Thanks for the info!
I've actually followed your entire awesome build here and on YT. I just couldn't remember if you planned on full-timing and in what climates. You're probably looking at 40 panels for your bus.

If you can afford the investment, spray foam insulation is really the way to go; much higher R-values, structural rigidity, vapor barrier, etc. Costs between professional installation and DIY kits are a wash. Save yourself the hassle, chemical exposure and clean-up by hiring a company to do it for you. Guess-timating a cost for your build between $2-3k. So, not cheap. But those who have done it say it's definitely worth it.

I'm sure others will chime in here.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #204
Bus Crazy

My memory is that some folks on this forum have reported getting professional spray foam quotes and perhaps jobs for ~$650-900. Don't take my word; see if you can turn them up. 30 panels x $15 is $450; which is the better bang for the buck I don't know but the two costs aren't worlds apart.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #205
Skoolie

Quote:
I've actually followed your entire awesome build here and on YT. I just couldn't remember if you planned on full-timing and in what climates. You're probably looking at 40 panels for your bus.

If you can afford the investment, spray foam insulation is really the way to go; much higher R-values, structural rigidity, vapor barrier, etc. Costs between professional installation and DIY kits are a wash. Save yourself the hassle, chemical exposure and clean-up by hiring a company to do it for you. Guess-timating a cost for your build between $2-3k. So, not cheap. But those who have done it say it's definitely worth it.

I'm sure others will chime in here.

Good luck!
Thanks for following along!! I've posted pretty much this same question to some fb groups also. After talking to a couple folks...I'm definitely going to check into spray foam. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if I can find a contractor around here that can do it and get some estimates.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'll keep you up to date on what I find out.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #206
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
About a grillion of them.

I went with 1 and 2 inch boards. 2 inch first, then 1 inch for a 3 inch total on walls and ceiling. The floor got 2 inches and plywood. I faced the foil out on both sides where there was 3 inches.

The strapping boards were pivotal in aligning and holding in place with HVAC tape.

The envelope was completed with poly plastic sheeting held to the strapping boards with frp rivets, but otherwise allowed to float.

Things I learned:

Great stuff sucks, don't bother except for the occasional gap fill near the wheel wells.

Buy a hot knife, heck buy a few from harbor fright. Just tape the momentary button to on and rest it on something that won't set on fire.

Pave right over holes and cut them out after.

Get the thin mylar tape and the knife will cut thru it. Aluminum HVAC tape sucks for this purpose.

Use your knife to cut radius serrations through the boards to match the curve of the roof the best you can. Try to balance the number of cuts to the least possible.

You can use strips of foam like chinking in a log cabin.

The 2" boards fit between the chair rail inner wall and outer wall, it helps a lot with draft.

Carpet adhesive tape, the pressure kind not the heat kind, from home depot, works fantastic to bond the foam blocks together. Its got peel backing on both sides, and some thin reinforcement thread in the adhesive. Once applied its basically straight adhesive and a couple threads. It will gum up everything you cut it with, eventually. I use a new utility blade and slice it ever so gently and it cuts. Its really great at bonding.

I feel the foam block approach is superior to spray foam but there is more labor. When I picked some walls apart for a test, they were bone dry after rainstorms, snow, condensation, and general abuse of the environment for several months.

I think the slight air gap between the steel skin and the outside facing silvering on the foam is actually desirable, and tends to happen on the arc of the ceiling steel.

Whew long post. Look thru my project to get more foam ideas if you want.

Oh yea the only reason I picked polystyrene vs the fancier higher r rating foam was the cost difference. The higher r value would be nice but because of the way it is installed I think the finished r value is not much different for the same 3 inch thickness.

Quote:
I'm brain storming on different types of insulation to purchase for Transcendence. I originally was considering spray foam, but upon further research, I decided to go another route. I'm considering using 2" polystyrene rigid foam insulation with an R8 value. For those of you that have insulated this way.....How many sheets did it take to do ceiling, floor and walls? What are your thoughts on this?

Here's a link to what I'm thinking about......
https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...05025382820645
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #207
Skoolie

What gauge steel are you using on the sides?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
jbohall001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #208
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
About a grillion of them.

I went with 1 and 2 inch boards. 2 inch first, then 1 inch for a 3 inch total on walls and ceiling. The floor got 2 inches and plywood. I faced the foil out on both sides where there was 3 inches.

The strapping boards were pivotal in aligning and holding in place with HVAC tape.

The envelope was completed with poly plastic sheeting held to the strapping boards with frp rivets, but otherwise allowed to float.

Things I learned:

Great stuff sucks, don't bother except for the occasional gap fill near the wheel wells.

Buy a hot knife, heck buy a few from harbor fright. Just tape the momentary button to on and rest it on something that won't set on fire.

Pave right over holes and cut them out after.

Get the thin mylar tape and the knife will cut thru it. Aluminum HVAC tape sucks for this purpose.

Use your knife to cut radius serrations through the boards to match the curve of the roof the best you can. Try to balance the number of cuts to the least possible.

You can use strips of foam like chinking in a log cabin.

The 2" boards fit between the chair rail inner wall and outer wall, it helps a lot with draft.

Carpet adhesive tape, the pressure kind not the heat kind, from home depot, works fantastic to bond the foam blocks together. Its got peel backing on both sides, and some thin reinforcement thread in the adhesive. Once applied its basically straight adhesive and a couple threads. It will gum up everything you cut it with, eventually. I use a new utility blade and slice it ever so gently and it cuts. Its really great at bonding.

I feel the foam block approach is superior to spray foam but there is more labor. When I picked some walls apart for a test, they were bone dry after rainstorms, snow, condensation, and general abuse of the environment for several months.

I think the slight air gap between the steel skin and the outside facing silvering on the foam is actually desirable, and tends to happen on the arc of the ceiling steel.

Whew long post. Look thru my project to get more foam ideas if you want.

Oh yea the only reason I picked polystyrene vs the fancier higher r rating foam was the cost difference. The higher r value would be nice but because of the way it is installed I think the finished r value is not much different for the same 3 inch thickness.
Thanks for the lengthy post....Some great info there!! I'm still a bit undecided whether or not to use spray foam. I've heard so many different stories, good and bad....I just don't know what to do!

I've checked out your thread pretty extensively....thanks for posting good stuff and keep up the great work!
Old 07-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #209
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbohall001 View Post
What gauge steel are you using on the sides?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I used 20 gauge....If I had to do it again, I probably would have used something just a bit thicker. I was trying to keep weight down, but the panels are just a bit floppy. Once insulation is in though, it'll help stabilize it better.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #210
Skoolie

Ok guys and gals, people of all ages......I have just finished another update video. Grab a soda and some popcorn....this one is a bit lengthy....enjoy!
Old 07-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #211
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Great video! I love watching you work with metal. How do you decide when to weld your metal components together and when to bolt them together?
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #212
Bus Nut

Great work on the rear door! It's nice to show the group that fabrication can be done with basic tools.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #213
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
Great video! I love watching you work with metal. How do you decide when to weld your metal components together and when to bolt them together?
I'm not sure.....I guess I just question the function and purpose of the piece/part I'm working on, then make a decision of what would work best for the scenario at hand. I have had a lot of experience in designing/building Hot Rods and also a bunch of sheetmetal and heavy structure fab work in the aircraft industry also, of which I'm very thankful for. This kind experience definitely plays a part in the decision making I'm sure.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #214
Skoolie

Quote:
Great work on the rear door! It's nice to show the group that fabrication can be done with basic tools.
Sometimes I wish had the awesome sheetmetal tools I'm used to using in the Hot Rod shops I work in occasionally.....But, one of the things I wanted to do, was to show others that simple tooling can work just fine, sometimes you just have to be a bit creative! It's cool you noticed the simple methods I implore to get this project completed....Thanks for watching!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #215
Bus Crazy

Mudda -

I decided to spend an hour and a half last night re-viewing all 21 of your YouTube videos. Man, your skills are transcendental! I am learning new stuff about sheet metal work every time I look at them. Great stuff; keep up the work and thanks so much for documenting it.

One thing, and it's not unique to you. I've seen this many times on YT. The playlist is in reverse order, so one has to put in some work wrestling with it. Anything you can do, or does the Tube just insert the newest one at the top whether you want it to or not?

Anybody have a good one-liner to convince the wife that a GoPro is a necessary tool?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #216
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Mudda -

I decided to spend an hour and a half last night re-viewing all 21 of your YouTube videos. Man, your skills are transcendental! I am learning new stuff about sheet metal work every time I look at them. Great stuff; keep up the work and thanks so much for documenting it.

One thing, and it's not unique to you. I've seen this many times on YT. The playlist is in reverse order, so one has to put in some work wrestling with it. Anything you can do, or does the Tube just insert the newest one at the top whether you want it to or not?

Anybody have a good one-liner to convince the wife that a GoPro is a necessary tool?
Upload a few grainy, low-res vids with her in them and maybe she'll INSIST on an upgrade?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #217
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
A couple of thoughts on insulation. At one point I was looking into shipping container homes and did tons of research. Unfortunately my wife shot that down but a lot of that information works on a Skoolie. I plan on painting the interior of the skin with an insulating ceramic paint like SuperTherm prior to insulation. I know that there are skeptics out there but only because there are miss informed. It will not replace standard insulation just help it. Do the research for your self. There is very minimal cost for what you get. I think HD is even selling a similar product now.

As a general contractor I can tell you that nothing beats the spray foam. One major way to cut costs is to work with the contractor and find a way to meet him at a job site he is already doing. This eliminates the setup and cleanup cost. Have your rig ready to spray so there is no prep cost. Do your own cut off and clean up. By doing all this easy work you can cut the cost down to about one third.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #218
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Mudda -

Thanks so much for watching them. I'm glad you've learned something from them and thanks for the kind words!

I actually set up the videos that way so that when someone visits the page the newest video is displayed first, so people that have already seen the others don't have to do what you did to find the most recent one uploaded. I never thought about the order they pop up in the playlist though....I'll check into it and see if there are different settings I can play with.

You need a one-liner?

Just go buy it and say.....Please forgive me!
It's always easier to to just do it and ask for forgiveness later!

Ok...just kidding!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #219
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
A couple of thoughts on insulation. At one point I was looking into shipping container homes and did tons of research. Unfortunately my wife shot that down but a lot of that information works on a Skoolie. I plan on painting the interior of the skin with an insulating ceramic paint like SuperTherm prior to insulation. I know that there are skeptics out there but only because there are miss informed. It will not replace standard insulation just help it. Do the research for your self. There is very minimal cost for what you get. I think HD is even selling a similar product now.

As a general contractor I can tell you that nothing beats the spray foam. One major way to cut costs is to work with the contractor and find a way to meet him at a job site he is already doing. This eliminates the setup and cleanup cost. Have your rig ready to spray so there is no prep cost. Do your own cut off and clean up. By doing all this easy work you can cut the cost down to about one third.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure I'm going to spray foam after talking to some others. Thanks so much for the info......I'm actually going to be calling around tomorrow to get some quotes, so I'll mention meeting them at the site and shaving and cleanup myself. I'm still just a bit away from it....but I'm getting really close!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #220
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I actually set up the videos that way so that when someone visits the page the newest video is displayed first, so people that have already seen the others don't have to do what you did to find the most recent one uploaded. I never thought about the order they pop up in the playlist though....I'll check into it and see if there are different settings I can play with.

You need a one-liner?

Just go buy it and say.....Please forgive me!
It's always easier to to just do it and ask for forgiveness later!
You don't have to do anything at FB on my account; I was just more pointing things out than anything.

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" may well apply here.