Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #261
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
whats the cost difference between the DIY kit and a pro doing it. the difference in the rigidly of the chassis and noise going down the road must be stellar.
Depends on where you are and apparently. I can't get anyone interested in the job so will probably buy the diy kit if I do the foam. I may just buy some foam board since 98% of the time the bus will be in central Fl.

GREAT vids, man... Always looking forward to the next installment.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #262
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Just spent an entire afternoon going through this thread and watching all the videos. I am known by my friends and family as being pretty handy but I am in AWE. This is an incredible job you are doing and so is the documentation. Thank you.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #263
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Now your just showing off! I love your work well thought out. Did you ever consider trying to make the wheel wells go away in the build. I have 9" from tire to bottom of the inside of the wheel well. I'm thinking it cant have half that in wheel travel. And what ever else distance it needs to clear the flat floor wheel well could be done with a lift kit blocks and longer brackets on the air bags. new shock brackets. Upfront as well to keep it level. Getting u bolts made would be no problem.

I saw one bus get the wheel well cut in half height wise is what Got me thinking I could do this.

Just curious I need to remove the rear wheel wells for my project so the floor is completely level.
I did think about lowering them early on, but with the floor plan I have in mind, they'll be just fine to build right over them.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #264
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Great video of the spray foam! That pro spray goes on so much nicer than the DIY 2-part kits. It surely helps that the operator has hours of experience under his belt as well. When I did my bus with the DIY kit (I used firring strips in the same way you did, btw) I ended up with far more waste than you seem to have. It does the job, though!
Quote:
whats the cost difference between the DIY kit and a pro doing it. the difference in the rigidly of the chassis and noise going down the road must be stellar.
Thanks Jatzy.....Yeah, the firing strips are going to be nice to attach the cabinetry. How many Kits did you use doing your bus?

Geo Jeff....It was actually just a bit cheaper to go this route, rather than the diy kits. The Kits are around $700 a piece, and to get the thickness that I have would of taken at least 3 kits I believe. I'm mostly 2 3/4 inches thick give or take.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #265
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Depends on where you are and apparently. I can't get anyone interested in the job so will probably buy the diy kit if I do the foam. I may just buy some foam board since 98% of the time the bus will be in central Fl.

GREAT vids, man... Always looking forward to the next installment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snonut View Post
Just spent an entire afternoon going through this thread and watching all the videos. I am known by my friends and family as being pretty handy but I am in AWE. This is an incredible job you are doing and so is the documentation. Thank you.
EastCoastCB...thanks for watching man!!

snonut....Thanks for the kind words! I'm happy you enjoyed your afternoon!!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #266
Skoolie

Hey guys.....Here's the next episode of Transcendence!

Old 10-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #267
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 6CT8.3
Rated Cap: 76
Dude I wish you were around before I started. I could have learned so much in such a short time. Your videos are gold, and the work is amazing.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #268
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_bertha View Post
Dude I wish you were around before I started. I could have learned so much in such a short time. Your videos are gold, and the work is amazing.
Thank you.....I agree. I've searched the interwebs like a mad man before I started work on my bus and couldn't find much out there. My hope when I started my channel was that I could show others that this kind of work can be done by about anyone if they are just a bit crafty. You definitely don't need to be a professional of anything to achieve good results.

Thanks for the kind words and for watching the videos!!
Old 10-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #269
Mini-Skoolie

I've been snooping around this site for weeks now. Trying to learn all I can before I take the plunge and buy a bus. Your posts are amazing. I really really appreciate the videos. It's helped to make all the things I've read and seen in pics make a whole lot more sense. When I finally start my own build I hope to do the same and give back to this awesome community and hopefully help inspire future members just as you have (this is the first time I've ever made a comment on this site!). Looking forward to the next upload. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jukes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #270
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes13 View Post
I've been snooping around this site for weeks now. Trying to learn all I can before I take the plunge and buy a bus. Your posts are amazing. I really really appreciate the videos. It's helped to make all the things I've read and seen in pics make a whole lot more sense. When I finally start my own build I hope to do the same and give back to this awesome community and hopefully help inspire future members just as you have (this is the first time I've ever made a comment on this site!). Looking forward to the next upload. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words!

I also find that videos are much better at documenting and teaching others how to achieve something. It seems now days if you have a question about anything....someone on youtube can usually provide a quick answer.

Thanks so much for watching the videos...it's nice to know you've been inspired by them.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #271
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
I completely agree. I had a slight idea on how to cover my front emergency light holes and then i seen how you did transcendences' and was confident i could now do it after watching your video on yours. You are a great teacher. You should totally make "how to" videos or "how it works" as well as bus episodes that you currently do. The snippet of you talking about sheet metal and clecos was a great.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #272
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: 1T8
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: Dunno, big though.. Hauls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
Work began on taking apart the donor front end. I then had the springs re-arched and new bushings put in. I ordered new seals, inspection caps, and pins.
10354185_10203297546112901_4035523946218659031_n by wesslewis, on Flickr10426343_10203297546392908_6225511050561868450_n by wesslewis, on Flickr
WHere did you get the inspection hub covers at? I want to get a pair....
TN Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #273
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
I completely agree. I had a slight idea on how to cover my front emergency light holes and then i seen how you did transcendences' and was confident i could now do it after watching your video on yours. You are a great teacher. You should totally make "how to" videos or "how it works" as well as bus episodes that you currently do. The snippet of you talking about sheet metal and clecos was a great.
Thanks BurlKing.....Super cool to hear your've gained confidence from watching my videos.

Very cool you mentioned "how to" videos. I'm a didgeridoo crafter and I've actually just recorded a video showing how to make a didgeridoo. I'm going to start a didgeridoo section on my youtube channel so others can actually hear them being played to help decide on their purchase.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:47 AM   #274
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Redneck View Post
WHere did you get the inspection hub covers at? I want to get a pair....
How do you know if they need to be arched. Is just just a ride height measurement. What was the cost.

Do the bearings go out even when there full of oil after so many miles?
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #275
Skoolie

Quote:
How do you know if they need to be arched. Is just just a ride height measurement. What was the cost.

Do the bearings go out even when there full of oil after so many miles?
I think it's standard procedure when rebuilding leaf springs. I brought in two sets that were in fairly bad condition. They rebuilt, and made 1 good set from them. Bearings will last a very long time as well as they are properly maintained.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #276
Skoolie

Episode 28 is now showing on my YouTube Channel....

Old 10-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #277
Skoolie

Here's the latest installment of Transcendence.....
Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #278
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Man, you're really moving along now!
I for one, REALLLLLLY can't wait to see this thing when you're "done".

Especially if you could be persuaded to head south for a weekend or two!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #279
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
That floor makes a great ceiling, I have to tell ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
Here's the latest installment of Transcendence.....
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #280
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Man, you're really moving along now!
I for one, REALLLLLLY can't wait to see this thing when you're "done".

Especially if you could be persuaded to head south for a weekend or two!
I hope I can continue this momentum through the winter. I may have to do a few other things that will take up a bit of my time though...Blah blah blah....all I really want to do is keep working on the bus!!
MuddaEarth is offline   Reply With Quote