Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #281
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
That floor makes a great ceiling, I have to tell ya.
Thanks....sometimes everything is better when they are rightsidedown, or is it downsideup?!?

MuddaEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #282
Skoolie

Here's the latest on the Transcendence project.....Thanks for watching!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #283
Skoolie

Hello everyone....just uploaded Episode 31!
Old 11-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #284
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
Looks great and nice video...I will have to check out the others. I appreciate the vids with no narration as I can figure out how to do most things by watching and would rather enjoy the music.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #285
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I have no words that can express the joy , the pleasure the the the, I have no words in watching a true craftsman , My hat goes off to you sir.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #286
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Loved the video on the wood stove installation. Your skills at making and using templates is very inspirational. I do have a couple of related questions about the video. What is the purpose of the dead space you built in to the right side of the fireplace framework? Related to that is why did you make a door for the dead space? I thought the door was a beautiful but why a door instead of just a beautiful panel covering that space?
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #287
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
It's humbling seeing your level of craftsmanship, the speed in which you're doing it, and the fact that you're documenting it all and condensing your work into such good quality videos with so many little details included.

Really enjoyed this latest video, and feel like I learn a lot with all of these.

One question: How did you determine the spacing/clearances between your wood stove and the surrounding walls? Did you take any special precautions to avoid fire hazards?

Keep up the great work! I look forward to chasing your shadow.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #288
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
I'm sure you have all the talent needed for anything you set your mind to. Just do it....There's no better teacher than failure.
Was hoping to get thru the entire read before making a smartassed comment but this was too good to pass up.

No more expensive teacher than failure either. What's the used market like for roofless buses when I totally butcher one?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #289
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Oh, wow. I finally came across this thread. Apparently I have been out of the loop for a while.

I will read the whole thread, but right now I'm too eager to hear how much money the new leaf springs cost you, and where you bought them.
My Millicent definitely needs new springs.

While I'm at it....
An observation from 27 years of driving 18-wheelers: I never saw a broken leaf on a steer axle, and some of those trucks had gone far more miles than any 20 year old school bus.
And I suspect I know why: The big rig springs are usually much longer, but with fewer leaves. They are more... supple.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #290
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
Loved the video on the wood stove installation. Your skills at making and using templates is very inspirational. I do have a couple of related questions about the video. What is the purpose of the dead space you built in to the right side of the fireplace framework? Related to that is why did you make a door for the dead space? I thought the door was a beautiful but why a door instead of just a beautiful panel covering that space?
Mudda,
A further question that I've been wondering about and trying to troll an answer for is, ...

What do you do about your stove chimney while driving down the road? How do you keep the rain out of it? I haven't seen a cap for it. If you're driving and it's raining ... it needs to be water and wind proof yet still removable with relative ease.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #291
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Typically, buses with wood stoves usually have the chimneys taken down and a chimney cap put in place to seal it up when OTR. A live fire in wood stove going down the road is a VERY Dangerous thing...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #292
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Typically, buses with wood stoves usually have the chimneys taken down and a chimney cap put in place to seal it up when OTR. A live fire in wood stove going down the road is a VERY Dangerous thing...
I'm not quite that stupid tho it would be cool to see ... from a distance!!

Even without a fire, I figured the chimney has to go out of the ceiling less there will be ashes EVERYWHERE in very short order. All that air tho should make getting a fire started.

Hey, anyone have a forge on board?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #293
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
My uncle use to have bus years ago. He had a fire place in it and said if you did not seal the chimney off completely before traveling it would blow the ashes into the bus. I don't think he had a air tight stove so I don't know if that would matter.
Rain though seems like a simple angle back cut off pipe like semi truck stacks would be okay? build a tractor flapper up there with a control rod coming down to open and close your chimney. I imagine it will need to have a lip around it so when you close it it comes down a couple inches past the top of the chimney stack to get a descent seal? Or at least stop the air from pressurizing the stove. Its more than just closing a flew. May get lucky and it becomes self cleaning at 60 mph out go the ashes.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #294
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I once installed a power-venter device on the outside wall of a shop for a wood stove.. It worked really well.. had a speed control related to stack temperature and thus it also acted as your chimney damper.. seems like somethig of such would allow you to not have to remove and reinstall your chimney.. you could vent out the back of the bus with a length of pipe... this device you used double wall pipe and went through the sidewall if you were within 1 inch of combustibles.. or you could use single-wall if you were in a non com,bustible wall.. (we were in a block wall).. the device then hung on the outside wall and the blower blew the smoke out sideways...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #295
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I have no problem with ash blowing around in the bus as long as the stove door is shut tight and the air-intake damper is closed. I usually don't cover the chimney hole when driving unless the weather is expected to be especially foul.

What I don't have is a good means of blocking the chimney when the extension is pulled off, which just leaves an open hole. Stuffing it with grocery bags has worked. All summer I had the extension removed and a piece of poly vapour barrier wrapped over the hole with a big pipe clamp holding it in place. The chimney is Selkirk twist-lock, so it'd be nice to have a sealing cap that also twists on.

To MuddaEarth: Is there a name for that cardboard/paper/whatever that you use for stencils? It looks real nice to work with.. Better than the brown cardboard I keep using. Does it come on a roll?

Another question: aren't you constantly almost burning the bus down with the indoor welding? I'm scared to weld indoors with all the wood and such.. but it would be nice to get those perfect fits. Any tips to mitigate combustion?

Amazing job on that wood stove install, I should add!
Old 12-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #296
Almost There

Engine: 8.3 cumnins
So along the debate of what to do with chimney pipe while otr. What if you used chimney pipe made for the marine industry? Along with leaving the damper closed while driving, would this keep the wind from being a problem?
My thought is that in sailboats where wind is much heavier and they still use their heat.. Thoughts?
I really dont want to have to climb up and remove pipe every time I want to go somewhere.

I just bought my bus (I'll be posting an intro and build thread sometime in the next few weeks) and as soon as insulation is done I want to do the stove so I can continue to build through the brutal Wyoming winter.

And by the way I absolutely love your videos, great pace, fab skills and music. You know when you are binge watching something on Netflix and the bummed feeling you get when you catch up to the show in real time...? I'm there with your build. Hope to see some new ones soon. Huge inspiration.
Adventure Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #297
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Bus View Post

I just bought my bus (I'll be posting an intro and build thread sometime in the next few weeks) and as soon as insulation is done I want to do the stove so I can continue to build through the brutal Wyoming winter.
He's a tough act to follow; luckily I don't have a bus yet so I don't even have to give it a half a$5 try. No pressure but I hope to see good stuff from you. If you can make a bus Wyoming winter proof then I'm copying you.

I don't mind, even like snow but 0°F is about all I can take. The bus has wheels after all. I just don't want to have to turn tail and run if I find a good spot.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #298
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
He's a tough act to follow; luckily I don't have a bus yet so I don't even have to give it a half a$5 try. No pressure but I hope to see good stuff from you. If you can make a bus Wyoming winter proof then I'm copying you.

I don't mind, even like snow but 0°F is about all I can take. The bus has wheels after all. I just don't want to have to turn tail and run if I find a good spot.
Ha! I make zero claim that my bus will be nearly as good as his. It will be a slow process as it gets dark here at 4:30 right now and I get off work at 4 so mostely just weekends and as funds allow after the holidays. Still haven't removed those pesky seats yet.
Oh and not only does my bus need to be Wyoming winter proof, but needs to be Texas summer proof as well, my parents and family are in Texas so I forsee summer trips with the bus down there. So insulation is going to be important. Going to try and save up the estimated 1400 for spray foam as that's the only way I forsee it working. I may run out there and go snap some pics of it tonight and start a build thread as I'm sick on the couch anyway, may as well get something going even if it's just digital dreaming for now.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #299
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Bus View Post
Ha! I make zero claim that my bus will be nearly as good as his.
I'm thinking about stalking the guy and breaking his thumbs in the middle of the night just so my work will look a little better. But as I'm just learning to weld and self taught at that, I might need to take his thumbs off at the elbows.

Quote:
It will be a slow process as it gets dark here at 4:30 right now and I get off work at 4 so mostely just weekends and as funds allow after the holidays. Still haven't removed those pesky seats yet.
About the same here for sunset. Fricking sucks!! This is what worries me. Even if I wasn't working at all and could build 24/7 I don't know how quick I can get it done.

Quote:
Oh and not only does my bus need to be Wyoming winter proof, but needs to be Texas summer proof as well,
My god, you are an idiot!!

I left FL in '99. Spent 5 yrs in SC on the way to MD. It's too damn hot here. But I damn sure don't want the WY winters either. I'm running out of places to move. Next stop, WA.

Quote:
Going to try and save up the estimated 1400 for spray foam as that's the only way I foresee it working.
Oh there are plenty of ways to make it work. All you have to do is convince Bill Gates that he's your dad.

Is $1400 realistic? Only quote I've seen is here and he said $2k. Not that I've gone looking (yet).

Quote:
I may run out there and go snap some pics of it tonight and start a build thread as I'm sick on the couch anyway, may as well get something going even if it's just digital dreaming for now.
You should do that unless it's a Flat Nose RE with a 300hp engine. If it is, I'm going to have to add you to the hit list. It's nothing personal, it's just I don't have one yet.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #300
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post

You should do that unless it's a Flat Nose RE with a 300hp engine. If it is, I'm going to have to add you to the hit list. It's nothing personal, it's just I don't have one yet.
Well... It is in fact a 1992 rear engine flat nose 40 footer with 8.3 liter engine that I practically stole for 2200 bucks. But it's not all rainbows. Got some rust spots from its life in Lincoln Nebraska and now there is something leaking from the engine all over my driveway that I haven't noticed before . The guy has another for sale just like it if your interested.

Oh and don't break his thumbs until we have learned everything we can off him.

But give me an hour or two and I'll do a new build thread instead of hijacking his.

And if anyone has thoughts of using marine grade chimney and exhaust instead of removing the stove pipe every time I'd love to hear if you guys would think it'll work.

/Joel