Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Broken leaf springs aren't uncommon. I've seen quite a few with em at the many auctions.
One of my rear air springs is on its way out. They have a lot of weight put on them in their lives.
I can definitely see this happening on big vehicles like this. I've never seen it in standard passenger vehicles. I've worked in a body shop most of my life. Even on some of the worst wrecks, with the frame twisted up like a pretzel, the leaf was still in tact.

I would imagine as heavy as busses are and the longevity of their work life on the road, the springs become work hardened and become brittle over time. My bus was also a rural route bus for much of it life. It drove many miles on unpaved roads.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
So was mine, sort of. The entire county in Ky where its from is very rural. The air ride is nice, but I can see it making leveling the rig in a hurry sort of a pain in the butt.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

I think you were really smart to go with all new/used parts rather than trying to get that old bearing off of the spindle. I think if you had gotten the old bearing off the spindle would have been in bad shape if not weakened due to the heat of the burnt bearing. I just hope you got an axle with the same weight rating or higher from the donor. Some of those short wheelbase buses had pretty light duty axles under them.

Broken leaf springs on buses are fairly common. More than one leaf tells me whomever was doing the PM on your bus didn't catch the first break before the second one broke.

It would also probably explain why you had a leaking wheel seal and a dried out bearing.

Air springs can take a beating and not be the worse for wear that would destroy a steel spring.

As far as leveling an air ride bus, when one is setting up camp you need to level the frame of the bus and not the suspension. You want to support the frame so that any jiggle from the suspension is eliminated.

If you are trying to level an air ride bus for going down the road it is fairly simple depending on how many ride height sensors you have. This is best done with help so you don't have to keep rolling in and out from under the bus to take measurements.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I think you were really smart to go with all new/used parts rather than trying to get that old bearing off of the spindle. I think if you had gotten the old bearing off the spindle would have been in bad shape if not weakened due to the heat of the burnt bearing. I just hope you got an axle with the same weight rating or higher from the donor. Some of those short wheelbase buses had pretty light duty axles under them.

Broken leaf springs on buses are fairly common. More than one leaf tells me whomever was doing the PM on your bus didn't catch the first break before the second one broke.

It would also probably explain why you had a leaking wheel seal and a dried out bearing.

Air springs can take a beating and not be the worse for wear that would destroy a steel spring.

As far as leveling an air ride bus, when one is setting up camp you need to level the frame of the bus and not the suspension. You want to support the frame so that any jiggle from the suspension is eliminated.

If you are trying to level an air ride bus for going down the road it is fairly simple depending on how many ride height sensors you have. This is best done with help so you don't have to keep rolling in and out from under the bus to take measurements.
The little donor bus luckily had the same axle # and rating as my bus did. You're right about the maintenance.....seems some things weren't noticed on this bus. I also have a crack in the exhaust manifold that I need to get welded up. I have a friend that welds cast steel quite frequently....so It will definitely be cheaper than trying to buy a good used one.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #25
Skoolie

Spring of 2014 finally came around, so it was time to get to work. I started by jacking up the bus as high as I could so as to make things easier to work on. I used "good'ol hillbilly jackstands" to hold the bus in the air. These were hardwood tree trunks about 2 feet in diameter, they worked very well. While it was in the air I decided to pressure wash the undercarriage and the entire exterior. Things went really well and the whole front end was put back in place in a day and a half. I don't have many photos of putting back together, But it sure feels nice to have it running again!! 988856_10203113107902061_7135603639984186859_n by wesslewis, on Flickr
10290612_10203109343807961_1136039548216865496_n by wesslewis, on Flickr
10290635_10203113108542077_7215328898951507687_n by wesslewis, on Flickr10322717_10203312800734257_6977474684803767961_n by wesslewis, on Flickr10365746_10203312800454250_4619868499265085184_n by wesslewis, on Flickr10245297_10203110526557529_5076425281504142536_n by wesslewis, on Flickr10320574_10203113106902036_6325234132037008375_n by wesslewis, on Flickr10338261_10203113165383498_7594970272293929290_n by wesslewis, on Flickr
Old 01-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #26
Skoolie

And here's a couple of photos with it back on it's wheels right after the repairs!! This was a very happy day!! 10353131_10203327755308112_517468588135631662_n by wesslewis, on Flickr10377984_10203327755588119_8684364609227096343_n by wesslewis, on Flickr
Old 01-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Ahhh...A BB with a Cummins. Nice combo! What tranny?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Ahhh...A BB with a Cummins. Nice combo! What tranny?
It has the AT545 tranny in it.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
If you could find a 645 it would make a world of difference. The old 545's are pretty solid but another gear and lock-up put the 645 a world apart. But...just in case you are dead set on spending LOTS of money...the new gen 2200MH's from Allison are nothing short of awesome. Full lockup and six gears with double Overdrive. Very cool.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
If you could find a 645 it would make a world of difference. The old 545's are pretty solid but another gear and lock-up put the 645 a world apart. But...just in case you are dead set on spending LOTS of money...the new gen 2200MH's from Allison are nothing short of awesome. Full lockup and six gears with double Overdrive. Very cool.
Thank you for the info.....I'll definitely keep my eye out for the 645. That sounds more in my price range. the extra gear and lockup would definitely be a nice addition.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #31
Skoolie

This is what the interior of the bus looked like when I purchased it. It was pretty cool for a weekend getaway at the lake, but definitely not setup for any kind of long term living. No electric or running water, basically a big metal tent with benches and a wood burning stove.
It is now completely gutted and waiting for me to get started on the conversion.

IMG_4524 by wesslewis, on FlickrIMAG1738 by wesslewis, on Flickrphoto by wesslewis, on FlickrIMG_4443 by wesslewis, on FlickrIMG_4442 by wesslewis, on Flickr
Old 01-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Awesome! You've started with what most end up with!
Any plans for the roof hatches?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #33
Skoolie

I'm not positive what I'll do with them. I'm sure I'll leave them in tact though, seems they would be great for letting the heat escape. I'll have a platform on the roof for kayaks and other items for storage, so they can provide a way to the roof via a ladder. Skylights possibly! Do you have any other ideas?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
I'm not positive what I'll do with them. I'm sure I'll leave them in tact though, seems they would be great for letting the heat escape. I'll have a platform on the roof for kayaks and other items for storage, so they can provide a way to the roof via a ladder. Skylights possibly! Do you have any other ideas?
As much of a cheapskate as I am, I'm gonna pony up and buy two overhead ac/heat rv units to go where I currently have the two holes from the hatches. I am patching the holes with 14ga plate then cutting the 14" squares for the ac.
I just hate the chintzy construction of the plastic hatches. mine were both crakced at all four corners and leaked badly. I can't see replacing them.

I'm wanting to be WELL insulated, so I'm also ditching the school bus windows, paneling in and then installing insulated rv windows. The ac units and windows are pricey, but they are pretty much a necessity for me. I'll be in FL and Oregon in this bus and need all the thermal efficiency I can get.

My Ward also has a small screened air vent just behind the "cab' that I'm pulling off today to make way for an rv roof vent/skylight. I may put another vent midship too.
I will be doing a roof rack/deck too but I'll probably just have a ladder on the back bumper to get up to it.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #35
Skoolie

I'm planning on doing a roof raise to mine with a covered back porch area. I'll more than likely have a ladder on the rear also. My hatches are in decent condition, but I may reinvent them to a material like steel. Maybe configure them to resemble a submarine hatch with exposed bolts and whatnot. Who knows, anything is possible!

I'm also insulating and using RV windows, just having bug screens in them is a huge plus. I have been scrounging around for everything I can. I want to be able to use as much repurposed and found materials on this bus as much as possible. I have already gutted an RV to acquire many useful parts...windows, roof ac, central heater unit, cook stove, large propane tank, 80 gallon fuel tank for WVO and much more. I want the build of this bus to be a lesson in sustainability and to be able to showcase it hoping to awaken new ideas in others in a creative way.

I also plan on spending quite some time in Oregon, around Portland and the Yachats areas....whereabouts are you staying?
Old 01-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Good to see progress,
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm planning on doing a roof raise to mine with a covered back porch area. I'll more than likely have a ladder on the rear also. My hatches are in decent condition, but I may reinvent them to a material like steel. Maybe configure them to resemble a submarine hatch with exposed bolts and whatnot. Who knows, anything is possible!

I'm also insulating and using RV windows, just having bug screens in them is a huge plus. I have been scrounging around for everything I can. I want to be able to use as much repurposed and found materials on this bus as much as possible. I have already gutted an RV to acquire many useful parts...windows, roof ac, central heater unit, cook stove, large propane tank, 80 gallon fuel tank for WVO and much more. I want the build of this bus to be a lesson in sustainability and to be able to showcase it hoping to awaken new ideas in others in a creative way.

I also plan on spending quite some time in Oregon, around Portland and the Yachats areas....whereabouts are you staying?
We will heading out from Florida to Colorado in pring/summer and then on to the Eugene Or area.
I love your bus plans and your way of thinking.I love the sub hatch idea.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #38
Skoolie

Thank you.....I won't be ready to head out anytime this year I'm sure. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

If you find yourself in the Wichita KS. area while on your trip, give me a shout!! It would be cool to see your bus!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #39
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Good to see progress,
Thanks Bansil....I'm looking forward to spring when the weather gets warmer to really get this project fired up!! ;)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
I'll have a platform on the roof for kayaks and other items for storage, so they can provide a way to the roof via a ladder.
What ideas do you have for getting the kayaks on the roof? I've given it some thought over the years, but haven't figured out an easy way to do it yet. Any thoughts would be helpful!