Old 07-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #211
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Great video! I love watching you work with metal. How do you decide when to weld your metal components together and when to bolt them together?
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #212
Bus Nut

Great work on the rear door! It's nice to show the group that fabrication can be done with basic tools.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #213
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
Great video! I love watching you work with metal. How do you decide when to weld your metal components together and when to bolt them together?
I'm not sure.....I guess I just question the function and purpose of the piece/part I'm working on, then make a decision of what would work best for the scenario at hand. I have had a lot of experience in designing/building Hot Rods and also a bunch of sheetmetal and heavy structure fab work in the aircraft industry also, of which I'm very thankful for. This kind experience definitely plays a part in the decision making I'm sure.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #214
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Great work on the rear door! It's nice to show the group that fabrication can be done with basic tools.
Sometimes I wish had the awesome sheetmetal tools I'm used to using in the Hot Rod shops I work in occasionally.....But, one of the things I wanted to do, was to show others that simple tooling can work just fine, sometimes you just have to be a bit creative! It's cool you noticed the simple methods I implore to get this project completed....Thanks for watching!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #215
Bus Nut

Mudda -

I decided to spend an hour and a half last night re-viewing all 21 of your YouTube videos. Man, your skills are transcendental! I am learning new stuff about sheet metal work every time I look at them. Great stuff; keep up the work and thanks so much for documenting it.

One thing, and it's not unique to you. I've seen this many times on YT. The playlist is in reverse order, so one has to put in some work wrestling with it. Anything you can do, or does the Tube just insert the newest one at the top whether you want it to or not?

Anybody have a good one-liner to convince the wife that a GoPro is a necessary tool?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #216
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Mudda -

I decided to spend an hour and a half last night re-viewing all 21 of your YouTube videos. Man, your skills are transcendental! I am learning new stuff about sheet metal work every time I look at them. Great stuff; keep up the work and thanks so much for documenting it.

One thing, and it's not unique to you. I've seen this many times on YT. The playlist is in reverse order, so one has to put in some work wrestling with it. Anything you can do, or does the Tube just insert the newest one at the top whether you want it to or not?

Anybody have a good one-liner to convince the wife that a GoPro is a necessary tool?
Upload a few grainy, low-res vids with her in them and maybe she'll INSIST on an upgrade?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #217
Mini-Skoolie

A couple of thoughts on insulation. At one point I was looking into shipping container homes and did tons of research. Unfortunately my wife shot that down but a lot of that information works on a Skoolie. I plan on painting the interior of the skin with an insulating ceramic paint like SuperTherm prior to insulation. I know that there are skeptics out there but only because there are miss informed. It will not replace standard insulation just help it. Do the research for your self. There is very minimal cost for what you get. I think HD is even selling a similar product now.

As a general contractor I can tell you that nothing beats the spray foam. One major way to cut costs is to work with the contractor and find a way to meet him at a job site he is already doing. This eliminates the setup and cleanup cost. Have your rig ready to spray so there is no prep cost. Do your own cut off and clean up. By doing all this easy work you can cut the cost down to about one third.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #218
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Mudda -

Thanks so much for watching them. I'm glad you've learned something from them and thanks for the kind words!

I actually set up the videos that way so that when someone visits the page the newest video is displayed first, so people that have already seen the others don't have to do what you did to find the most recent one uploaded. I never thought about the order they pop up in the playlist though....I'll check into it and see if there are different settings I can play with.

You need a one-liner?

Just go buy it and say.....Please forgive me!
It's always easier to to just do it and ask for forgiveness later!

Ok...just kidding!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #219
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
A couple of thoughts on insulation. At one point I was looking into shipping container homes and did tons of research. Unfortunately my wife shot that down but a lot of that information works on a Skoolie. I plan on painting the interior of the skin with an insulating ceramic paint like SuperTherm prior to insulation. I know that there are skeptics out there but only because there are miss informed. It will not replace standard insulation just help it. Do the research for your self. There is very minimal cost for what you get. I think HD is even selling a similar product now.

As a general contractor I can tell you that nothing beats the spray foam. One major way to cut costs is to work with the contractor and find a way to meet him at a job site he is already doing. This eliminates the setup and cleanup cost. Have your rig ready to spray so there is no prep cost. Do your own cut off and clean up. By doing all this easy work you can cut the cost down to about one third.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure I'm going to spray foam after talking to some others. Thanks so much for the info......I'm actually going to be calling around tomorrow to get some quotes, so I'll mention meeting them at the site and shaving and cleanup myself. I'm still just a bit away from it....but I'm getting really close!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #220
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
I actually set up the videos that way so that when someone visits the page the newest video is displayed first, so people that have already seen the others don't have to do what you did to find the most recent one uploaded. I never thought about the order they pop up in the playlist though....I'll check into it and see if there are different settings I can play with.

You need a one-liner?

Just go buy it and say.....Please forgive me!
It's always easier to to just do it and ask for forgiveness later!
You don't have to do anything at FB on my account; I was just more pointing things out than anything.

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" may well apply here.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote