Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
This is what the interior of the bus looked like when I purchased it. It was pretty cool for a weekend getaway at the lake, but definitely not setup for any kind of long term living. No electric or running water, basically a big metal tent with benches and a wood burning stove.
It is now completely gutted and waiting for me to get started on the conversion.

IMG_4524 by wesslewis, on FlickrIMAG1738 by wesslewis, on Flickrphoto by wesslewis, on FlickrIMG_4443 by wesslewis, on FlickrIMG_4442 by wesslewis, on Flickr
Old 01-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Awesome! You've started with what most end up with!
Any plans for the roof hatches?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #33
Skoolie

I'm not positive what I'll do with them. I'm sure I'll leave them in tact though, seems they would be great for letting the heat escape. I'll have a platform on the roof for kayaks and other items for storage, so they can provide a way to the roof via a ladder. Skylights possibly! Do you have any other ideas?
Old 01-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
I'm not positive what I'll do with them. I'm sure I'll leave them in tact though, seems they would be great for letting the heat escape. I'll have a platform on the roof for kayaks and other items for storage, so they can provide a way to the roof via a ladder. Skylights possibly! Do you have any other ideas?
As much of a cheapskate as I am, I'm gonna pony up and buy two overhead ac/heat rv units to go where I currently have the two holes from the hatches. I am patching the holes with 14ga plate then cutting the 14" squares for the ac.
I just hate the chintzy construction of the plastic hatches. mine were both crakced at all four corners and leaked badly. I can't see replacing them.

I'm wanting to be WELL insulated, so I'm also ditching the school bus windows, paneling in and then installing insulated rv windows. The ac units and windows are pricey, but they are pretty much a necessity for me. I'll be in FL and Oregon in this bus and need all the thermal efficiency I can get.

My Ward also has a small screened air vent just behind the "cab' that I'm pulling off today to make way for an rv roof vent/skylight. I may put another vent midship too.
I will be doing a roof rack/deck too but I'll probably just have a ladder on the back bumper to get up to it.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #35
Skoolie

I'm planning on doing a roof raise to mine with a covered back porch area. I'll more than likely have a ladder on the rear also. My hatches are in decent condition, but I may reinvent them to a material like steel. Maybe configure them to resemble a submarine hatch with exposed bolts and whatnot. Who knows, anything is possible!

I'm also insulating and using RV windows, just having bug screens in them is a huge plus. I have been scrounging around for everything I can. I want to be able to use as much repurposed and found materials on this bus as much as possible. I have already gutted an RV to acquire many useful parts...windows, roof ac, central heater unit, cook stove, large propane tank, 80 gallon fuel tank for WVO and much more. I want the build of this bus to be a lesson in sustainability and to be able to showcase it hoping to awaken new ideas in others in a creative way.

I also plan on spending quite some time in Oregon, around Portland and the Yachats areas....whereabouts are you staying?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #36
Site Team

Good to see progress,
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm planning on doing a roof raise to mine with a covered back porch area. I'll more than likely have a ladder on the rear also. My hatches are in decent condition, but I may reinvent them to a material like steel. Maybe configure them to resemble a submarine hatch with exposed bolts and whatnot. Who knows, anything is possible!

I'm also insulating and using RV windows, just having bug screens in them is a huge plus. I have been scrounging around for everything I can. I want to be able to use as much repurposed and found materials on this bus as much as possible. I have already gutted an RV to acquire many useful parts...windows, roof ac, central heater unit, cook stove, large propane tank, 80 gallon fuel tank for WVO and much more. I want the build of this bus to be a lesson in sustainability and to be able to showcase it hoping to awaken new ideas in others in a creative way.

I also plan on spending quite some time in Oregon, around Portland and the Yachats areas....whereabouts are you staying?
We will heading out from Florida to Colorado in pring/summer and then on to the Eugene Or area.
I love your bus plans and your way of thinking.I love the sub hatch idea.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #38
Skoolie

Thank you.....I won't be ready to head out anytime this year I'm sure. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

If you find yourself in the Wichita KS. area while on your trip, give me a shout!! It would be cool to see your bus!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #39
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Good to see progress,
Thanks Bansil....I'm looking forward to spring when the weather gets warmer to really get this project fired up!! ;)
Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
I'll have a platform on the roof for kayaks and other items for storage, so they can provide a way to the roof via a ladder.
What ideas do you have for getting the kayaks on the roof? I've given it some thought over the years, but haven't figured out an easy way to do it yet. Any thoughts would be helpful!