Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #161
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
This is great. It sure is satisfying to get those rivets in and have a solid panel in after isn't it?

Are you getting all the trapped metal chips from drilling out between the layers?

I see you are squrting some sort of sealant between the layers. Spray both the facing surfaces with the cold galv compound, let it dry (it dries really fast) then add your sealant. You may even want to hit each empty rivet hole with a shot of cold galv for extra corrosion protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
Hello everyone....I hope you guys are enjoying the videos of my progress. Here's Episode 15 coming at ya!!

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #162
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
This is great. It sure is satisfying to get those rivets in and have a solid panel in after isn't it?

Are you getting all the trapped metal chips from drilling out between the layers?

I see you are squrting some sort of sealant between the layers. Spray both the facing surfaces with the cold galv compound, let it dry (it dries really fast) then add your sealant. You may even want to hit each empty rivet hole with a shot of cold galv for extra corrosion protection.
Yep....it feels real good to see it finally going back together after so long.

Yes.....I'm drilling the holes and removing the panels, deburring, sealing and installing. My sides skins are galvaneal, so they should be good. I did have them outside and they got rained on a couple times holding the moisture between them. I've sanded the corrosion off and will treat them with a metal prep and apply a good coat of epoxy primer after they are installed.

Hopefully that'll keep them preserved from the weather.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #163
Bus Crazy

Nice work! That is shaping up nicely. The more raises I see, the more I am convinced that's the way to go.

Are you using aluminum rivets? Any worries about galvanic corrosion? Or am I being a mother hen about the whole thing?

Also, has anyone here ever used steel rivets? I would think that bucking steel rivets would be a whole new world of hurt.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #164
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Nice work! That is shaping up nicely. The more raises I see, the more I am convinced that's the way to go.

Are you using aluminum rivets? Any worries about galvanic corrosion? Or am I being a mother hen about the whole thing?

Also, has anyone here ever used steel rivets? I would think that bucking steel rivets would be a whole new world of hurt.
Thanks....Raising the roof really isn't hard, it's just a lot of work. I say "Do It", you will be amazed at how much bigger it feel inside.

I'm using steel rivets and they aren't bad at all to buck. My girlfriend did a great job. You're right..dissimilar metals would be a problem in the long run.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #165
Skoolie

For those of you following along....Episode 16 is now showing for your viewing pleasure.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #166
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Great work, watched all of your videos. ive learned quite a bit from you, so thank you.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #167
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
Great work, watched all of your videos. ive learned quite a bit from you, so thank you.
Thanks for watching....I've never considered myself a very good teacher,
I'm more of just a do'er, But I'm super happy these videos are appreciated and inspiring others.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #168
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Great job and I loved the video! If you are in western Kansas maybe you can come to our next Colorado Skoolie meet up.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #169
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
Great job and I loved the video! If you are in western Kansas maybe you can come to our next Colorado Skoolie meet up.
Thank you....A meet up in Colorado would be great! When is the next one? It'll be a while yet before Transcendence will be on the road.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #170
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
We try to get together about once a year, so probably next year around this time would be our next meetup. We talked about meeting at the Great Sand Dunes National Park, but we have not finalized anything yet, so it may be somewhere else. I will try to let you know when we actually plan something.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #171
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
We try to get together about once a year, so probably next year around this time would be our next meetup. We talked about meeting at the Great Sand Dunes National Park, but we have not finalized anything yet, so it may be somewhere else. I will try to let you know when we actually plan something.
Very cool.......Transcendence may be close enough by then!! Let me know!
Old 06-18-2016, 12:55 AM   #172
Skoolie

Here's another update video........
Old 06-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #173
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
damn man, did you get that done in one day??
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #174
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
damn man, did you get that done in one day??
About a days worth of work spread out over 3 days.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #175
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Great build, great craftsmanship. I'd love to check out your bus if you ever hit up Seattle/Portland.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:35 AM   #176
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
Great build, great craftsmanship. I'd love to check out your bus if you ever hit up Seattle/Portland.
Thanks.......I believe my first destination will be around the portland area. Keep in touch!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #177
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
WOW!

I just checked out your latest video, now I have to go back and start from the beginning! Super rad build, skills, and attitude, bro! I will be pestering you with all kinds of newbie questions as time goes by! Keep up the good work, you are definitely inspiring me and the rest of the fam up here in the frigid North!
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #178
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post
WOW!

I just checked out your latest video, now I have to go back and start from the beginning! Super rad build, skills, and attitude, bro! I will be pestering you with all kinds of newbie questions as time goes by! Keep up the good work, you are definitely inspiring me and the rest of the fam up here in the frigid North!
Definitely start from the beginning......it's been quite the adventure! Thanks for the kind words and I'll be happy to help out anyway I can as you attack your project! I wish some of those frigid temperatures would make their way down here....it's been super hot here!!
Old 06-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #179
Skoolie

Hello again everyone....Here's the latest on Transcendence.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #180
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You tha man, Lewis!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote