Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #101
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I don't like them and very seldom will click on a link for a video.
I live in an area that doesn't really have an option other than to use an air card for internet. Speed isn't to bad most of the time for anything except video. But, I do have a monthly limit that I tend to start getting near about the third week.

I know, I know, I'm probably only one of five people to be in that situation. I think I was only one of two truck drivers that didn't smoke. I also don't drink, smoke funny cigarettes or speak Spanish.
This is a very good point you make, Thanks.....Quite a few folks are probably living out on the road boondocking somewhere and have limited access to wifi or internet. Soon I hope To be one them!

I'll definitely take note of this and post pics of my progress also.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #102
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Put my vote down for both.
I do like the videos though if only one.
Just better for how I learn

I'd greatly appreciate any documentation of roof raisage.
No real good videos of it on youtube that I've found.
When I do the raise, I'm going to do my best to document it very well.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #103
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel View Post
Even though Crowns were sold primarily in the Pacific states, they were built to effectively deal with rusting conditions. Things like using a thick marine plywood floor bolted to the frame instead of a steel floor that would rust.
I hear this all the time, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. Here are the reasons why:

1. The plywood may very well resist salt spray well, but it has to be supported by many steel beams, which will eventually rust if driven anywhere outside of the west coast. Road salt will embed itself between the plywood and beams and do away with them. The plywood alone won't contribute much support to the overall frame to keep things together. I have a sailboat. It has marine plywood. Though better than normal plywood, the stuff doesn't last forever. I have plenty that is in need of replacement.
The galvanized metal floor in my ol' salty Thomas - although rather rusty now - is still incredibly strong. It is essentially made up of about 20+ c-channel beams all welded together with additional 2.25" square tubing every 5 feet or so.

2. Though aluminum doesn't rust, it is still susceptible to galvanic corrosion. This is especially true when in contact with salt and other metals. Wherever insulators have worn through there will be holes in the aluminum and elsewhere (especially around the wheel well) I would expect to see pitting after 15 years driving the mid-west United States or Canada.

3. The place you'll find the most damaging rust is the undercarriage. As far as I know a Crown's undercarriage is all steel, like every other vehicle on the road.

4. I know these aren't as common, but I would DREAD having a Crown with the pancake engine up here. It's in the perfect spot to be constantly splattered with road snot. It's hard enough working with the big chassis bolts once they're rusted. I can't imagine what the engine would look like...

With all that said, I don't think Crown's are of inferior construction by any means, I just don't think they're any stronger (but they are certainly more stylish). Also, it does sound like they're built for specific regions. They do come with neat options, though. Air ride, big engines, 10-speeds, etc..

Now, the fact is that anyone on this forum won't be driving the damn thing as far as it drove during regular service, so one in decent shape should last perfectly well in any part of the world. No chance a local bus company would consider them, though.

Of course, all this must be taken with a grain of salt (hehehe). No Crown's exist out here. Would someone with a Crown drive out to the salt states/provinces and drive a school route for 15+ years please?

EDIT:
Oops.. sorry this was so off topic. I didn't realize the thread had come so far since this topic was brought up. I just found it in my email
Old 03-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #104
Skoolie

Just a quick 1 minute time lapse of of a beautiful winter day and working on Transcendence in preparation for the roof raise. It's best watched on YouTube with full screen.

I'm getting real close to cutting the top, just have to fab the jacking system and get it in place.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #105
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Very cool, thanks for uploading. You have quickly become my favorite subscription.
I'm definitely not as talented as you are. You make it look so easy, man!
Nice work on the mustang, too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #106
Skoolie

Quote:
Very cool, thanks for uploading. You have quickly become my favorite subscription.
I'm definitely not as talented as you are. You make it look so easy, man!
Nice work on the mustang, too.
Thank you so much!

I'm sure you have all the talent needed for anything you set your mind to. Just do it....There's no better teacher than failure.

Also....I'm hoping to get part two of the mustang video completed soon. I'm having a real good time learning to edit video. Stay Tuned!!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #107
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Just speaking for mysel I make all this up as I go
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
I'm getting real close to cutting the top, just have to fab the jacking system and get it in place.
The scaffold screw jacks I used worked great, and are available for rent or purchase anywhere.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #109
Skoolie

Here is a video update of the Roof Raise Tooling and installation.
I'm super close to getting this thing raised! Stay Tuned!

Also.....I'll post some pics tomorrow for those of you who like those also.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #110
Bus Geek

Awesome as usual, keep up the excellent work and videos, man.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #111
Skoolie

Quote:
Awesome as usual, keep up the excellent work and videos, man.
Thank you! I'll definitely keep on posting.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #112
Skoolie

This is the mechanism I'm using to raise the roof.
IMG_1144 by wesslewis, on Flickr

This is what it looks like when installed/welded in place.
IMG_1147 by wesslewis, on Flickr
Old 03-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #113
Skoolie

Hey everyone.....Here is a quick time lapse video of the roof raise.

I'll have another video as well as some photos detailing the specifics of raising the roof. I have to finish editing the video but should be up soon.

This was an awesome experience and feels great to have accomplished this. If you are questioning whether or not to do this, I totally recommend doing so. It's not difficult, just a lot of time and labor. If you haven't already, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more updates.

I hope my upcoming video will inspire others in many ways!

Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #114
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Nice Vid...Nice Work! --- And it appears you staggered your cuts. That is precisely what I was advised to do by a retired BB engineer many years ago when I made inquiries about raising my roof. It minimizes the potential of creating a "weak line".

Thanks for sharing!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #115
Bus Geek

Way to go man! I love it.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #116
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Most Excellent!!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #117
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks for the video.

I just did pics. The video was able to show way more detail of the raise.

One end then the other.....

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #118
Skoolie

Thank you everyone!

Yeah, staggering the cuts on the pillars is a great way to distribute the load without creating a fault line for failure. I've had much experience with aircraft and automotive framework that definitely helped me make this decision.

I really enjoy making videos of the build process, I think in many cases it helps to better answer questions people may have in their minds about a certain process. It does seem to better detail things. I'll try to add photos also.

It was pretty cool seeing it raise in the time lapse, I'm glad you guys like it.....Thank you!!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #119
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Great job! I like the timelapse. I wanted to initially cut my rear at the same line you did on the rear, but the rear engine bus seems to have significantly more structure at the low end of the window frames.

You'll have a nice clean line on the rear end! (how often do you get internet strangers complimenting your rear end, anyway?)
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 AM   #120
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65
I love seeing how you did the roof raise. more and more wish i had tried it on my bus, it would have saved me some headaches
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote