Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #121
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Re: the wait is over

Just to clarify, the fuel leak I had was NOT due to the over flow. It was a leaking fuel line on a unit that was only about a year old. Might be one of those things to put on your yearly check list.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #122
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: DT466E

Great build, lots of great ideas... love the jeep, i have a buggy myself.
Keep up the awesome work!

Chris

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO!!!
https://www.facebook.com/NilesSkoolie
NilesSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #123
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

It's been a really long time since posting/updating. I still try to read up on everyone's build. But finding time to update sometimes is hard to find. I haven't done a lot to the bus in the past year.

I guess I can start an update with the generator. I never could get it to work out right on the bus so gave up on that. Most of the time it rides on my trailer and runs fine. It's actually little more peace of mind too, after hearing about couple of incidents with the Yamaha. So... I hated the fact I'm always stuck bringing the trailer if I want power going down the road. I didn't want to spend a second fortune on a generator. I did some internet reading on onan's. Found a nice website http://www.smokstak.com these guys can answer and help fix onan's. Anyway, found a nice older unit that I think will work out nicely. I cleaned it up and runs perfect. I will probably have to wait till spring to get it mounted up under the bus though.
Before cleaning it up.
20141013_125023 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr
It's a 5000 watt genny. It'll run two rooftop AC's. So Eventually, if I run across a good deal on another rooftop air, I'll add a second one.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #124
Bus Nut

Something I just did this week I hope that works out well, is backup camera's. I have wanted to add them for a long time, but just couldn't stomach the price. So.. I decided to try the cheap route and see how it works out. I was checking out the option's on amazon, and decided, why not. I have it installed now, but don't have any real world experience till probably spring.
So here's some pics.
$45 kit on amazon. 7" color monitor, one backup camera, some wiring.

20141108_185954 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

I knew from reading that I would need a longer cable to the rear of bus. It sounded like RG6 cable (cable tv wire) would provide a better video signal then the rca type wire that came with it anyway, for that distance. I had some cable already and bought the rca type ends for the RG6 at home depot. Seems to be work pretty good.

20141109_165125 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

Rear camera mounted

20141109_140434 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

The camera needs a 12v source. I still had the white strobe light on top that never gets used. So I clipped it's power wire and used it for the camera. Kinda nice, I can shut it off with the switch now at the driver seat if I want.

While searching amazon I found some really good reviews on another small camera for $16. So ordered it too. I placed it on the driver side mirror bracket to try and get rid of any blind spots on that side.

Looking out driver seat and looking in mirror, you can't even see my truck parked next to bus.

20141110_163024 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

Now looking in video screen you can see the truck bed in the blind spot.

20141110_163013 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

I'm $61 into this. I pretty sure the weakness will be night driving. But I rarely do that anyway. I update next year if it was a good investment or not.

edit: $68 I forgot about the RG6 connectors.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #125
Bus Nut

We really didn't use the bus as much as I hoped for this year. So my goal for this winter or most likely early spring is to fix some things that didn't work out and try and finish what didn't get done. It seemed like as soon as we started using it the build part never really got finished.

We did do our annual trip to North Dakota to visit family. We usually spend 7-10 days over the July fourth week. It's much easier with the bus having our own space. I hadn't spent much time going over the bus until the week before the trip. I had decided I should really change the rear diff fluid. I hadn't changed it and who knew when it had been done. Plus it has made a few popping noises, and I wanted to see what the fluid looked like.
First I pulled the drainplug, and this came out...

2014-06-24_08-39-45 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

So now I really had no choice and decided to drop the carrier. I was really nervous about how I would get it back in. The advice I got from a truck mech friend of mine about getting it out was to put a piece of 2" foam under and let it fall. That worked out great. To my surprise I found the popping noise.

A Detroit Locker!

20140624_191914 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

So now my worries were set aside. The pieces of metal that came out of the drain hole where old pieces of broken axle, that they didn't get out of the case when repaired. Quite a bit of water also came out. No damage was found and time to put back together. I had also did some checking at the same time about regearing. That is in the plans for spring also. I have a 4.44 and I can have it changed to 4.10's pretty reasonable priced. Vanderhagg's in Des Moines said they would trade me carriers, and swap my detroit in for $5-600. As of right now the best cruising speed is 62 mph with a top speed of 72. 4.10's will bump that up to about 67 mph right were I want to be.

Getting carrier back in. 4 gallons of diff fluid later.

20140625_111923 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr
Old 11-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #126
Bus Nut

After getting the rearend back together, I had just a little time to add a couple more AC lights and outlets.

One up front,

20140624_110041 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

and one light and outlets in my daughters bunk, for charging phone, computer, tablet... everything a 14 year old needs.

20140624_105751 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

This Pic shows one of the things I messed up and will have to fix this spring too. Do not use the contact glue I used to glue pink foam to roof. Glue eats the foam, and 2 years later starts to fall down.

Traveling down the road in 95 plus degree and high humidity the AC just doesn't keep me cool in the driver seat next to the doghouse. So I tried just adding the curtain between the back bunks and the front. It helped some, but not enough for me. With the bigger genny I'm hoping I can get a second AC added and should be plenty cool going down the road. Being parked the one 15,000btu AC cools the bus good. Just not traveling.

Also in this pic I finally made a real bathroom door this summer. We had still been using a piece if 1/2" pink foam on hinges since I stopped on the bus build.

20141028_103814 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr
Old 11-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #127
Bus Nut

The trip went well. Kids can't get enough of the farm.

20140702_132437 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

Started to head home July 5. I posted in millicent about the next problem. 2yrs, 6500 miles one of my rear retreads decided to come apart. 40 or so miles north of Mitchell SD. I got real lucky on the whole situation, and everything turned out good. Talked to my tire guy on the road. He told me to bring tire back with me and he would make things right.

20140705_173330 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

We spent the night in Cabela's parking lot. Nice place!! They even have a free dump station if you need to use.

20140706_080548 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

Got tire swapped out the next morning and started for home again.

We made it to just the West side of Des Moines on the interstate when it came to stop and go traffic on a Sunday. An accident. Meanwhile the brake pressure alarm (hyd brakes) started to go off on the dash. All I have to say is really loud and annoying. The driver side rear caliper when hot, decides to leak a little and drop pressure a bit. I turn off the key and drive the last 25 miles home no problem. I love my mech diesel.

Couple weeks later, tire guy sends mobile truck over. I have him drop all the rear wheels and tires and put on blocks for me over the weekend. Reason being, I can replace rear calipers while he changes out my spare. I check with the Orilley's down the street from me. They actually carry the caliper and even on the shelf. $60 some bucks!! I couldn't believe it. The other cool thing is, all 4 calipers on bus are exactly the same. Just move the bleeder to the top side. I wish everything was that standard.

New caliper. Easy change after wheels and tires are off.

20141028_103620 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

Tire shop comes back Monday, and puts it all back together. He also doesn't charge me a dime even for the extra work. Says tire shouldn't have came apart and apologizes.

New retread

20141028_103523 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

When I bought the tires front and rears I really wasn't wild about retreads. But he talked me into them. I would have bought them anyway because of price though. I just couldn't warrant the difference in price for new vs. retread, as few miles as I put on them. They should... dry rot before I wear the tread off them.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #128
Bus Nut

So this just about gets me caught up I think. I had one more captains seat that I was going to put on the other side of our table. After this year's trip I could not stand the driver's original bus seat. I must be getting older, because I don't remember it bothering my back as much as it did this year. So I changed seats.

20140802_124542 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

I hope this seat will be better. But I don't have high hopes for it either. I'm thinking I'm going to be needing something with an adjustable lumbar support. This doesn't either.

20140802_143911 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

I think a bench type seat at the table will be better anyway.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #129
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz
I found mine at Hoglund in Marshalltown and they were great to deal with.
I just looked at the Hoglund site and they have a nice selection of used buses at very reasonable prices. From what you saw during your inspection of the buses and tearing yours apart, do they seem to have much rust on them? Love your conversion!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #130
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolaeeter
I am so jealous that you have yours registered as an RV already. We have to have just about everything done - and inspected - before they will let me get it changed on the title to an RV here in SC. But so be it - we will do what we have to do.
HV,
Did Hoglund do the title work for you to change it over to an RV or did you have to take care of that?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote