Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Re: the wait is over

I did a short quest on googling dual alt. but have ran out of time for now. Most everything I saw was pertaining to running both alt. to run the same battery. My thought is complete seperation of the two. Anyway I will do some more searching later.

Jak, thanks for the compliments. I was orignally planning on painting the top white, I figured I would just roll the top. However, now that the bus is painted, and have had time to look at it, I'm not sure I can bring myself up to painting it white. Reason being? It would look like a skunk when its done. The bus doesn't have a name yet, but I really don't want it nick named Pepe Lepew or something like that. So I think I might go with the restoluem sliver/alum. color. I'm planning on doing a PVC pipe (painted flat black) on the roof for extra water storage as well. I already have a 42 gal fresh water tank that will be in the bus. I really like the looks of the flat nosed buses and the extra room inside. But your point about departure angles was one of the things I was worried about in a flattie too. I plan on taking my bus off the beaten path quite often.

Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Its been way over due, but I have finally managed to get back working on the bus. I've gotten the bathroom, kitchen, and the area where the bunk beds will be framed up. I'm hoping it will come together alittle more quickly now. Its amazing how long it took to decide exactly where the shower and toilet were going to be, and for the tanks underneath would work in that position.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Don't know if I mentioned it, but I put down 1" pink foam on the floor and a 7/16 sub floor over that. I probably have about 2/3 of the laminate floor down. I finally got my windows this week, and got three of them put in this weekend. It diffently would have been easier if I had done them when I skinned the windows. But it all comes down to money in the end. I just seem to work on it when I have enough extra money to put towards the bus. I kinda of like it that way, I don't feel like I'm on a schdule or time frame, so it makes it more fun.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #44
Bus Nut

We've been busy this summer, but I finally got the roof resealed up and painted. I did the white elasticpaint down the center, then the aluminum rustoleum on the rounded over parts. I'm happy with the way it turned out. I tried starting back in on the interior last weekend, but it was just to hot and humid. Upper 90's and enough humdity to cut with a knife. So instead I went down to the local stick and staple dealer and bought a 15,000 roof top air. I got the hole cut in this past friday, and a kid from work came over yesterday and helped me lift it onto the roof. Got it temperary hooked up with an extension cord, until I get the inside wired up. Now I think I can work inside it again.

Nate
Old 07-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Makes me want to get out my coat just looking at it Nice unit!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Brrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!! Looks chillin in there!!!!!!!!
movin right alone
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #47
Bus Nut

After seeing some of the road trip pictures of some of your buses , it really has lit a spark under my @$$. I am really hoping to have it mostly travel ready before winter, so I can plan a few spring trips. Anyway here is some pictures of the progress.

Nate

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Looks great, I love the black paint! I've been considering black when I finally get mine and this lets me know how it will look. I also like how you skinned most of the window openings and put in RV windows.
What did you use to adhere the insulation to the ceiling/walls? Also, what did you use to glue the carpet to the insulation? I like the result, it looks good. Put some polished aluminum rims on her and she'll look awesome!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

wow looks great, do you think with the black it will get to hot? or do you think the roof insulation will counter act the extra heat from black?

its looking great keep up the good work

gbstewart
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

love the carpet! lol mine came carpeted but i shudder at the though of looking behind it
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Thanks for all the postive comments! I know I have been pretty happy so far. Seems like alot left to do, and never enough time. I'm not very good at using the quote option.
As far as glue I used the Dap brand contact cement.

I got it at menards for about $23 a gallon. It took two gallons, one to glue the foam to the ceiling, and one to glue the carpet to the foam. It took alittle bit to figure out how to use it. Whatever you do, don't apply directly to the foam. It will melt it instantly. When I glued the foam to the ceiling I applied cement to the metal ceiling with a roller. Waited 3-4 min. for it to tack up then applied foam. That seemed to work. When I glued the carpet to the foam, I sprayed the cement on the carpet (using a automotive paint gun) again waiting for the glue to get tacked up. I hope it holds up over the years. So far I'm not planning to put bows up. However if it eventually it looks like it starts giving loose I will probably add runners. I would feel alot better if I hadn't used any pink foam. But that brings up the point of the black paint. I think I need the extra insulation. The AC is diffently cooling the bus off in mid 90's temps without the foam on the ceiling. It was just right for my wife, but I like it cold, like a meat locker. Now that I have it insulated the temps here have dropped off to the low 80's and so did the humidity. I know its because I bought the AC unit. Anyway I'm still a fan of black, and yes I really would like to get some nice alum. wheels. I've talked to one of the county mech. who works on all their equipment, and he informed me on how to change out the daytons for bud style wheels. He said its not hard, just takes money. Thats alittle way down the road though.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #52
Bus Nut

The other thing I thought I would mention, is to follow the directions about being well ventilated. That stuff is nasty. Fumes usually don't bother me. Sunday when it was still in the 90's, I thought I could tuff it out and apply it with just the AC going. After about ten minutes of inhaling toxic fumes, I'm still not sure what exactly I was licking off the floor. Just kidding.. I quit and waited for this cooler week to work on it. I also didn't mention the side walls. I applied the carpet to a 1/4" chipboard and then screwed it to the walls. I'm going to run another panel of some sort on the bottom of the wall, which will hide my electric runs when I get to it.

Nate
Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Got some more done on the bus this weekend. I can't hardly believe we are going on a week of perfect weather. Low 80's no humidity. This next week is suppose to be the same. I can only hope, it makes working on the bus alot easier. Couple Pics.

Nate

Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Looks awesome!! What kind of carpet did you use? Where did you purchase it from too?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Everything looking great. Won't be long till those dreams of Spring road trips turn into reality!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Looks like a great job of laying on the carpet! That oughta cut down on noise. How did you put it on?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Thanks for the compliments! I worked on the bunkbeds this weekend. I decided to make a hinge for the lower one. That way I can get to the furnace, and not try and squeeze my way to it.

Nate
Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Got some more done today. I finally found a good deal on a countertop. Menards had a 10ft that had the last 18inches broke. They had $20 obo. I only needed 7ft, offered them $10 and I came home with it. Worked on the shower as well.

Nate
Old 08-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

thats some nice looking counter tops!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel