Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Re: the wait is over

The red color came in 12ft. wide. I covered 4ft. by 8ft. panels then screwed them to the walls. The beige color came in 6ft. wide.

Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Got the shower walls lined and drain installed today. The drain is just stubbed through the floor for just right now. I think I will be moving onto the plumbing and electric. I'll finish the rest of the walls once I know I have all my lines ran. I'm trying to make sure I can get to all my water lines and electric fairly easy, by just taking a few screws loose out of a panel to gain access. I can do alot of things, but I'm no plumber. I have not been looking forward to this part of it.

Nate
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #63
Bus Nut

I got the faucets installed in the shower and kitchen sink. Also got the shower surround all caulked up. I went ahead and purchased a pex tool since I need to do work in the house eventually also. Got all my pex ran back to where I will have my water pump. I had to used water pumps however today I tried them out and neither worked. So a new water pump is on the list of things to get now. Nothing to exciting but a few pics.

Nate

Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Looks great.

Isn't pex great compared to working with copper?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Pex is a wonderful thing! I might have a chance on the plumbing not leaking with it. I couldn't sweat a copper pipe and not leak if my life depended on it.

Thanks

Nate
Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Got started alittle bit with the ac wiring, and a breaker box mounted. I decided to just go with a 100amp panel, mainly because it was cheaper to do so when you take in account this one came with breakers. Oh, it is intentionally mounted upside down too. I figured the electrons wouldn't mind doing hand stands. That and the door will open to the hallway rather the side of the bus. Also got some more walls covered around the shower.

Nate

Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Regarding all the carpet covering the walls and ceiling, how flammable is the carpet you are using? Just wondering if it will ignite quickly if a flame or spark hits it. If it is flammable the flame spread will be very, very quick and I'd hate to see anyone placed in danger since escape would be pretty much impossible.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #68
Bus Nut

I see your point. However, I really don't want to get into a debate on how safe my bus or anybody elses is. My bus still has the two escape hatches in the roof, the rear door will still be functionable, a side door, and front door. I'm not saying the carpet will never burn, but I will also only have only two possible open flames in the bus. Cooktop, and furnace. Which I plan on taking precautions on the end of my bus build before use. I guess it would be alot safer to leave it a metal tin box, but then I would have to wear ear plugs so I don't lose my hearing. I also work on high voltage powerlines for a living, maybe I shouldn't go to work tomorrow either because I might get hurt. The list goes on and on.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

I wouldn't be all that concerned about it.. carpeting like that generally doesn't catch fire very easily. If anything it'll char black before it actually catches fire.
kshamrock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #70
Bus Nut

That is a good idea on the bathroom floor. I'd say I'm already alittle dissappointed on the laminate floor. Before I got the roof completely sealed up, I got alittle water inside in a couple areas. Needless to say, you can tell on a few of the seams where the water was sitting. I'm glad I went with the cheap stuff. I forsee in a couple years I will do something different. I like the fact of how easy it is to sweep out the mess though. I'm not a very big fan of vinyl floors, so not really sure what direction I will go later.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #71
Bus Nut

Still slowly working at it. I put some switched 12v rv lights in where the orginal bus ceiling lights were.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #72
Bus Nut

I haven't posted in awhile, but thought I would post up a few pics. My first trip is planned for next week. About an 8hr drive away pulling a trailer with the jeep on it. I also got Insurance on it last week. Its with Farm Bureau, who I have had for years with my home and 3 vehicles. Insurance man came over and took pictures to keep on file. Said nor problem and had a policy in place for me the next day. $82/year.

Anyway, a few pics. Far from done but close enough to use for now.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Also got some new tires. Well, new steers anyway, and retreads for the drives. Bus looked funny for a day up on blocks. Gave me time to paint the wheels while the tires were dismounted.

A new generator showed up today too.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #74
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Nice Generator! And are you sure you have enough tread on those new drivers? Looks like you're set to go for many miles
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Dang, man - how much did those tires set you back? I'm dreading that expense.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #76
Bus Nut

A friend of mine owns the tire shop in town. But by no means did I get a huge discount. He's building a new house, has to pay for it somehow. I've never been a fan of retreads, but for my use, new ones just don't make sense. $230/tire drives, $330/tire steers, mounted/equal balance. I was going to take the bus up to his shop, but he just sent one of his guys over to my place. I'm also not fond of the fronts, but same guy that owns tire shop, has put them on his ragbraii/party bus the last couple times. Never had a problem with them. I don't even like saying it, but they are chinese made. Samson is the name on the sidewall. The drives are Bandag D4300 retreads. He has sold them for years and said he has never had one come back from coming apart. When I bought the bus, I knew I was going to have to put tires on it. I really hope to put alot miles on it now, and the last thing I want to deal with is tire problems on the road. I do have a almost new virgin goodyear I am going to carry as a spare.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Godd prices on the rubber...had to laugh at "almost virgin"
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #78
Bus Nut

thats funny, didn't even think about it.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #79
Bus Nut

I also debated and tried to hold out on the generator. I was hoping I would find a great deal on one, but it never happened. I thought I had that deal last weekend. Found it on craigslist, drove over hundred miles to find it was home to some mice. He bought it new in '08, and never had it installed in his horse trailer. It was a propane 5500w generac rv quiet type generator. He wanted $1800, with all the extras, but the mice were actually living in the generator part of it. For alittle bit more, I decided I could get the new yamaha. Plus, I like the fact it is an inverter type generator. My plans are to get it mounted under the bus, and hope to figure out how to add an extra gas tank with cap on outside of bus to fill. If I get that far, I figured I would order the remote start then.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #80
Bus Nut

Took the bus for its first trip last week. Alittle over 700 miles round trip. The bus performed flawlessly, and I couldn't be more happy. It pulled the jeep and trailer great, and for the most part I could run 65mph pretty easy. It would go faster, but I wasn't in any bigger hurry than that. Worked great at the campsite too. I really like the extra insulation, it kept alot of the loud camp sounds out too. Here's a pic of the bus in the campground as I was checking out.