Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
the wait is over

Hello all,
I've been lurking in the shadows now for probably over a year. Just dreaming about buses and trying to finish some previous started projects. My family live in central Iowa and have been around the Ragbrai buses since I can remember growing up. My wife and I have been talking about aquiring an rv now for quite awhile, to serve as tow rig for the jeep, and also family outings. We have two kids one's 9yrs and the other 5 mo. I've never been overly impressed with stick and staples, and it was a small feat to convince the wife as well. So this week the wait is finally over and we found our bus. So far we don't have a name yet, but are working on it. It is a 1995 thomas International, Dt466, 6+1 manual trans, 65 pass. I was to slow on an RE 8.3 cummins earlier this summer so I couldn't let this one slide by either. The 1 1/2 hr. drive home was perfect and it drove an easy 65mph all the way home without downshifting out of overdrive. I have been grinning ear to ear since the trip home. I have a few more weeks finishing the jeep, then plan on working on the bus gutting the seats, windows, skinning the openings, and hopefully paint, before the cold weather decides to blow in.

Thanks to all in advance for the advice and support.
Nate

I'm not really sure how to post pics

Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: the wait is over

sounds like you did your research and found your bus. congradulations!

yes stick n staples are not very nice unless they stay together lol!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummings

From one Central Iowan to another... Congrats and Welcome!
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Hex
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Congrats! I'd kill for overdrive on my Spicer!
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks for the welcomes. Also for the link Smitty. I'm not much of a computer person and sometimes it frustrates me to much. I can browse easily, but I don't have the patience for alot of the rest of it.

Scratchy, do you have any pics of your paint job and details. From your avatar it looks awesome. Which dealer did you find your bus? I found mine at Hoglund in Marshalltown and they were great to deal with.

Sorry don't have the time tonight to try and figure it out, but here is a link..

http://www.4x4syndicate.com/forum/viewt ... 9442#19442
Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Hvbuzz;

That's a really clean looking bus! I've always been particular to Cornbinders. I owned three 9400 series semis with 425 Cats. I loved them! The busses seem to have a good build to them as well. That overdrive will sure come in handy! Welcome to the Jungle, or as my beloved says, welcome to the nut house!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummings

Hvbuzz,

Yeah, I have more pictures, I've just been too busy lately to get them posted. You'll soon find out how that goes.

In regards to the paint, I rolled the top and the sides and shot the back and the front.

I purchased mine from Thomas Bus Sales in Des Moines. I watched Ebay and Craiglist for a long time. Found the best deal was 25 miles from my front door step... and they were great to work with as well. I'm sure glad I didn't jump on the first bus that I found. To all of folks out there still searching - patience is key.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Great looking bus and just the right size--for me! Toss me your source, finding one that size is proving a pain in the behind!!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Yes I'm slow learner.

Maybe I should have gotten a shorter bus. J/K

Thanks again Smitty.

My daughter decided she wanted to get a jump on the bus while I was working on the jeep this last sunday. So I gave her the cordless drill. She went to town and removed all of the bottom parts of the seats herself. I was quite impressed. I showed her the first one and she did the rest. I went back into the A/C garage while she sweated it out in the bus.

Seeria, I found the the bus here. http://www.hoglundbus.com/SchoolBus/Use ... ntory.aspx They had a few more buses in the 65 pass. size, but with the smaller 444. They had some newer ones with the 466 and mt643, but they were out of my price range. In case you wanted to know, I got mine for $2200 even though they were asking $3000.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz
Dt466, 6+1 manual trans,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex
Congrats! I'd kill for overdrive on my Spicer!
Well, I almost would. Now if it had a high roof . . .

Congratulations!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Hv;

I see you're into child labor too! Keep up the good work (or at least your kids ).
Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
Bus Nut

I figure I better take advantage of it right now, while she still thinks hanging around dad is fun. I already see in the not so far away future she won't find the fun in it anymore. I hope to finish the jeep this weekend so maybe by next week I can show some progress reports on bus. The only thing on the bus I got accomplised this week was pricing sheetmetal to cover windows. I can get 4 sheets of 4'x10' of 16gauge sheetmetal all for $237.20+tax. My buddies dad works at a steel wharehouse, and he said he could use a brake to shear them in half for me to get 2'x10' pieces at no additional cost. I thought that sounded really reasonable.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Goshen
Engine: 350

I am so jealous that you have yours registered as an RV already. We have to have just about everything done - and inspected - before they will let me get it changed on the title to an RV here in SC. But so be it - we will do what we have to do.
granolaeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Nice looking bus...

X2 on the child labor, my 15 year old son has played a huge part in building the bus and the Blazer/Buggy...

Speaking of Blazer, I saw the link to the 4x4 site... I'm a wheeler as well... Gonna use the bus as my tow rig for wheeling trips...

Good luck with the build...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Thanks dirtygoat. I have tried a few ways on towing the Jeep and trying to figure out camping. We usually travel out of state at least a couple times a year,wk or so at a time, to go wheeling. Last years trip was the last time the wife and I wanted to stay in our popup, on our car trailer. Something about primative camping (along side of a road) for three days straight, without a shower or pooper, just didn't fly well. Plus the jeep got a stretch, one tons, and 42's this year, so it wouldn't have fit on the trailer with the popup on it. We borrowed a good friends Class A a few times when he had it, and it was nice, other than the fact I couldn't ever see spending that kind of money on a box on wheels. So anyway, we got some done on the bus this weekend. Unlike yours dirtygoat all of our bolts going through the floor came right out with an impact. The wife and daughter ran the impact. I got the underside, funny how that works I can't complain though, at least they are helping. As far as the floor I'm really debating about pulling up the subfloor. I know and understand the reason for doing it. But I have been under that bus alot this weekend, and there are no rust holes even around the wheelwells. So I will have to think about it for a little while while I try and get the windows skinned in the next couple weeks.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 79
Rated Cap: 60

Good Luck, and have tons of patience! Its much like anything... we all start out gung ho, and then as time goes on, the excitement tends to sway. Just take it in small chunks. It will be a fun transition.

I have had many people say "why not just buy an RV?" and I tell them "Because how many people can say they built their own, and its better quality!"

Check out our project
www.campneverrest.com
campneverrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

After reading about everybodies toubles with their state and changing their titles to an RV title I am amazed about Iowa. I just got back from the county courthouse, where the county is in charge of titles and reg. I went in, gave them the old title and receipt for for bus, and signed a form saying I converted it to a motorhome, and I was out the door in less than 10 min. With a new Rv title and liscence plates in my hand and a giant smile on my face.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
Bus Nut

So I was really hoping for two great days of work on the bus this weekend. Instead only got one, it rained all day saturday. So for an update, I got the steel to cover the windows wed. and got it primed and ready to hang friday. Today, I got two of the eight foot pieces hung with the help of some neighbors. I think they would like to see the bus painted as well, so they were willing to give a hand today. My wife started sanding the pass side, and got alot of it done. There should be quite abit done on it this week to get it ready for paint. I have a paint booth lined up for next weekend, so I took the week off to just get the bus prepped and ready to paint. Ready or not, it will get painted next weekend. Here's a couple of pics. I'm hoping to get the rest of the windows covered tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
Bus Nut

A very long day but well worth it.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygoat
Nice looking bus...

X2 on the child labor, my 15 year old son has played a huge part in building the bus and the Blazer/Buggy...

Speaking of Blazer, I saw the link to the 4x4 site... I'm a wheeler as well... Gonna use the bus as my tow rig for wheeling trips...

Good luck with the build...

you should see the BEAST of my truck 71 k10/k20 on 40s

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote