Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
the Waste-Not Wagon - an intro.

I and my fellow farmer friends currently are working on a project called the Waste-Not Wagon, based out of the World Hunger Relief Farm in Waco, Texas. We recently acquired the bus from a friend and removed the seats last week. As we progress on the project we are trying to consult as many other folks who've lived on the road on a bus and done similar things. And I know that we'll have all sorts of structural and rehab and construction questions - we need all the help we can get. So thanks in advance.

A bit about our bus and project. We have a 1994 Ford Carpenter 72-seater - in great condition. Because of our work at World Hunger Relief, the bus was donated to us. As the Waste-Not Wagon, we hope to travels the roads and visit churches, schools and other interested folks to:

* Empower communities to become food- and resource-secure
* Support communities to improve health and well-being through growing food
* Encourage communities to share local resources
* And above all, love God through loving neighbors.

And how do we hope to do these things? On the bus, we hope to have a roof-top garden for vegetables and herbs, rainwater catchment system, small solar oven, greywater sink, and possibly a bio-gas generator and micro-livestock. We are also going to convert the bus to run on Waste Vegetable Oil. This will also be a home for us (5 or so) while we are on the road, so we'll have beds and seating and eating area. But too much of the traditional stuff in an RV: no toilet or running water or tv or appliances.

Right now we are particularly interested in how other folks are setting up the interior of their buses. And if you would like more information, check out our website: http://wastenotwagon.wordpress.com - or please contact me.

Thanks,
the Waste-Not Wagoneer

waste-not wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77
Re: the Waste-Not Wagon - an intro.

First welcome- and great idea you have. It does me good to know there are people in the world such as yourselves.

I'd love to share ideas on the rooftop garden- we had this idea a while back. My family is about to hit the road in our live-aboard bus. We are basically, crafties, artists, and nomads.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66
Re: the Waste-Not Wagon - an intro.

Hello and nice to meet you. I'm so interested in your conversion project. My husband and I are in the beginning phase of converting ours and hope to incorporate similar things. I'm also very interested in your rooftop garden idea. Just the other day I looked at my husband and asked if he thought there was a way to have a greenhouse/window garden/etc. on the bus. I didn't actually think about the rooftop idea and how that could work. Right now we are focused on how to best incorporate a workable, diy composting toilet system on the bus. But I'll definitely be watching you guys to see what happens. Best of luck to you.

Blog: https://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote