Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #101
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: the wild blue yonder

put rust pro down and than a bed liner coat ,follow by 1/2 press board,,,if they too bad....my old cornbinder was that way too.

keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #102
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Hi, regarding your pics, don't use attachments--that's why you are getting the quota thingy. Open a free account with photo bucket, post your pics there and then to SkOOLIE and it seems that you can post as much as you want Once you have pics on photobucket, email me and I'll show you how to post.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #103
Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: intl loadstar 1653
Engine: D150 V8 diesel
Rated Cap: 48

did i mention I have some rust?

there's got to be a better way to skin this cat.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #104
Skoolie

WEll HEY, I figured out how to post from photobucket... sorta... 2 out of 3
Ol trunt, thanks for the tip on that! Sometimes I'm quite sure that I'm not your garden variety idiot.Nope, I'm an extraordinary idiot.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #105
Bus Geek

It's good to be extrodinary! Glad you found photobucket--now get those pics out
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #106
Skoolie

Keith- I need to have a solid metal floor because I dont want to have too much buildup to the finish floor. Right now, I have 6'6" headroom at the center, I'm 6'4", and my wife is 6'. we are giagantors. I plan on insulating the floor from underneath, and applying the finish floor directly to the metal in hopes that we won't have to stoop very much. I definitely DO NOT want to do a roof raise. Trying to be ready for a cross country trip next summer and all.

Ellijay is only 1.5hrs or so from us, would love to come up and see your work, got to wait for my work to slow down some first
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #107
Bus Geek

I hear you ,although I am/was only 6'2'' I still hit my head on everything!
My 5'2'' spouse doesn't get it and still leaves upper cabinite doors open for me--oh well. For the same reasons as you I added 2" of insulation under the center isle on my SKOOLIE. I'll put the rest of the floor insulation in the bottom of the base cabinets as this is much easier. I agree with you that if you can help it you really don't want to mess with a roof raise unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #108
Skoolie

Yeah trunt, messing with the floors is bad enough for me, can't imagine how I could do a roof, although... it might be funny to hear the neighbors talk; I can just hear it now," It was ugly enough to begin with, now that moron went and cut it in half!" The thought of addind a raised section of roof - think trolly top, did cross my mind briefly.

After sleeping on the floor delima, I think I'll try adding a jack and some blocks to the arsenal, maybe adding a constant force pushing the floor up while chiseling/ cutting/ pounding/ bleeding and cursing will be the key to rapid removal, also need to replace my ear muffs. Can't wait to be done with today's job and give this a try.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #109
Bus Nut

we want to go out west next yr ourself,been to SD,COLO, want to see utah,az.....going south this yr and make the albama run ,ala miss,la and back....get done by aug and run with us ???
Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #110
Bus Geek

If your newer Superior has the same body design as my oldie, there is a section in the center of the roof in line with the main walkway that just begs to be trollied out. Since I have only 5'6" of interior height a trolly top is exactly what I am going to do. Climb on top of your bus and see if it has a separate section--it would be interesting to know if Superior stuck with one design all the way to the end.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #111
Skoolie

Hey trunt, there are crossbraces welded in with the roof metal riveted to them, but the roof metal is one piece from side to side. The braces are @ 2' apart, maybe alittle more. It would be excellent for a trolly top, thats what got me thinking about it, that and the whole skylight idea.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
I want do the top pretty bad, but it is super far down the priority list for our trip, especially with the stunning lack of progress I'm making.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #112
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Hey are you making fun of me.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #113
Bus Geek

Allen, I tried to post just a few ago but it didn't work so here goes again.

Thanks for the roof pics. It looks like the newer Superior bodies used bows from side to side and perhaps even all the way to the floor. Either would be better than the earlier style. I'll post a couple of pics tommorrow so you can see how the old Superiors were constructed--it may get you thinking about the trolly top again as a future project. Like I said, my bus is so short that I don't have much choice other than a trolley top. I can't raise the entire roof because it won't fit in my garage and the trolley can be a pop up. Jack
Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #114
Skoolie

FINALLY!! got that whole photobucket figured out. only took 6 or 7 tries to get what I wanted.

yankeflyer- most certainly NOT making fun of you, unless thinking so would make you feel better, then, HECK YEA!

keith- we're planning to go see all the relatives (mine and hers) that like us and we haven't been able to see.
goona go to new york, then to ohio, then on across the top part of the country (my favorite route), I-90 with stops in south dakota, yellowstone,and glacier. from there we go to spokane, then portland . after portland, its down the pacific coast highway (suzy's favorite) to los angeles. then we'll hook a left and come home across the southern route- az, nevada, new mexico,texas,louisianna,mississippi,alabama, and finally home. just can't wait for my 5yr old to see this great country
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #115
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
It looks like the newer Superior bodies used bows from side to side and perhaps even all the way to the floor.
the bows don't go to the floor, they stop above the windows and attach to a top plate of sorts
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #116
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Just kidding - thats a lot of miles, be sure to see Mt Rushmore.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #117
Bus Nut

good luck on I 90 i broke two trailer springs on that dam road,just out side of Walls SD .so i had to block up the trailer and drag it to ripit city to get the springs,every mile there was a calvert under the road.so at the calverts the road rise up and back down,and has far as new york.i use to have to deliver there and hate that place.iam from baltimore,md.so now day i won't go above Northern va...mount rushmore is nice and so is crazy hores,,we stayed down in custer SD below custer state park.and that the best place to stay..we are going back out there,maybe this yr in aug.make sure u eat so buffio burgers dam good

so what kind of parts do u need for that old war wagon ?? seats windows tanks. side doors(compartment doors )inverter i have all this exter from my build
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #118
Bus Geek

Hey Allen, I'm back on that trolley roof thing again. As you can see my old Superior was just meant to be a trolley. It will also get rid of the rusty part of the roof. Jack

Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #119
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
good luck on I 90 i broke two trailer springs on that dam road,just out side of Walls SD
I've I-90 to Spokane 5 times now and find that if you have time to dally some, South Dakota is a hokey good time, like turning back the hands of time, the billboards are just awesome, "SEE THE 10,000 LB PRAIRIE DOG!!!!" for 4 hrs. Well, let me tell ya, its 10,000 lbs all right.......10,000 lbs of concrete.
the corn palace, wall drug, then the badlands, then on into the blackhills.. South Dakota is awesome.

As far as what I need, thats a long list, better to tell what I have first;
[img][/img]
30 amp load center/convertor from a 5th wheel
[img][/img]
the door will be a toilet wall, haven't decide on which sink, the counter is in great shape
[img][/img]
got this freezer for free, works great! gonna convert to a fridge,also have a small microwave
[img][/img]
one of these will be the table
[img][/img]
got this third row suburban seat and a split one as well for the dinette seats

also have the blue drums for my tanks,but would love to have a square tank for potable.
I'm always looking for stuff, we'll have to get together when I get time to break away
Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #120
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Hey Allen, I'm back on that trolley roof thing again. As you can see my old Superior was just meant to be a trolley. It will also get rid of the rusty part of the roof. Jack
I see what you mean! That thing is just begging for it, isn't it. Have you settled on a design yet? Gotta say that with the whole art deco design of the '30s, a trolley top could be the coolest thing, especially if it sort of sloped up from the roof in frontto stayin keeping with the aerodynamic styling