Old 04-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #41
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
Rated Cap: 72
Thank you Taskswap!
I'm glad to hear that it is a good stove! I'd love to have a Jotul like you, but alas, mine is just a "knock-off"
Indeed, these will have short fire times. For me, I prefer short burn times. I know other people will likely have different opinions, but for me, I feel safer with shorter burn times. It means that if I need to leave, I can without having to wait very long, or risk leaving the fire unattended. I had a very small stove before, and I liked it much better than the big one we currently have.

IMG_0469.jpg
This is how I have the baffle right now. From what I have looked into, this should be the correct way.
IMG_0470.jpg
(this is without the baffle)
IMG_0471.jpg

Also, we coated the roof today with elastometric coating! The bus looks really sharp now! It got dark out before I could snap a photo of it. We sealed the seams with the sealant (was the consistency of caulk) before applying the other coat of paint. We still need to apply the second coat.
IMG_0486.jpg

I also was able to set the tile on top of the wheel well. We used osb to frame it, and then cement board, and then tiles. I will grout it tomorrow and post pictures. We chose a dark grout, because it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep light colored grout around a fireplace.

We are moving right along!! Finally it seems like this bus is coming together!

Also, an older couple stopped by today. People stopping by is a very common occurrence, as we live a few houses away from a park and we work on the bus in the street.
It was really interesting though, because it was the first time someone had stopped by that kind of implied that we are crazy for doing this. When I told him that we were going to live in it, he said "wow, you must really like roughing it". I had to laugh. When it's done, it will be much nicer than any house I have ever lived in (I hope). He was surprised to hear that we only had three months left to finish it, and wanted to know where I would learn how to do everything, like the basic stuff (framing, flooring, woodworking, etc). I'm not going to lie, I kind of got offended. I guess it's just the way he said it. As if to say; how the hell can a young woman know how to do anything like this?.
I'm always still learning... But I guess I will just have to just show 'em! LOL
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Nice! You guys are doing an excellent job.
Do you live out there near the New Belgium brewery?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #43
Bus Nut

I have... THAT EXACT STOVE. Jotul called it the "Harvest Scene" or something like that. It's a total piece of crap efficiency-wise, but it looks good. It's also made of cast iron rather than steel, so it'll last forever (and as you must know it's heavy as *****). It was super cheap when they made it, and because it was reasonably attractive, it was very popular. People around here throw them in workshops and hunting cabins. You can find one or two every spring on Craigslist. I paid $75 for mine.

That is the correct way to set up the baffle, but it doesn't matter. It's not there for efficiency, it just helps set up the draft in a way that keeps you from getting a lot of smoke out the door when you open it.

This thing will go through wood like crazy, but you will be warm and there's basically nothing that can go wrong with it. It's just a chunk of thermal mass that keeps the coals in.

If you use this stove you will eventually want to replace it - it's just going to use a lot of wood, that's all. When you get tired of breaking down 500 pallets every winter and want to cut down the workload, get something with a true secondary burn. Until then enjoy it - it sure is pretty, isn't it?
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Oh, one more thing - these things leak like crazy at the seams when they start to age. Check yours out and see if it's doing this. The worry isn't about smoke in your bus, because with any kind of draft at all, the smoke is going up the chimney. The problem is when they leak, the air goes IN. You're feeding the fire air whether you damp it down or not, and they can get hard to control. A stove that you can't damp down is very dangerous. You can buy stove cement to seal those cracks if necessary - just check it out.

The best way to check a stove like this for leaks is to build a small fire in it outside with no flue attached. When it gets going, chuck in a damp paper towel, shut the door and damper, and stick a plate on top of the flue opening. If it leaks, you'll know exactly where. ;)
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
We got a metal roof jack. I couldn't find a rubber boot jack made for a wood stove application(they only had hvac), where did you get yours?

The Amazonian gods provide:

D
ektite #5 Silicone Hi-Temp Pipe Flashing 4" to 7"

I installed one near the curviest part of the roof. It seals perfectly.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #46
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskswap View Post
If you use this stove you will eventually want to replace it - it's just going to use a lot of wood, that's all. When you get tired of breaking down 500 pallets every winter and want to cut down the workload, get something with a true secondary burn. Until then enjoy it - it sure is pretty, isn't it?
Thank you for all of your input!! It is reassuring me to hear all of this! I will be regasketting/sealing it (not sure of the correct terminology), but that is a great idea to build a small fire outside and throw in that paper towel. I will have to do that!

It is gorgeous! We are going to replace it down the road, but wood stoves aren't cheap, and while we could afford one if we really needed to... if this one will do the job, so we will use it for a bit. This one was a hundred bucks! I've already been looking around for a new stove, something that is rated for mobile homes. That will be down the road though. I wonder if in the shed that I used to live in, If I could buy that stove off the landloard. ...or at least find one that is similar. I LOVED that stove! As my primary source of heat, maybe I just formed a relationship with it, and knew exactly how to use it. Kept me alive on many a cold winter night. (Drove my mom crazy, she got so worried with me living alone in there when I was just 20.) It had a short burn time though... I would wake up and the water in the dogs water bowl would be frozen. Good thing I had the dog to keep me warm!
5723_533275713370139_544522384_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Nice! You guys are doing an excellent job.
Do you live out there near the New Belgium brewery?
Thank you eastcoast, I appreciate your compliment!

Yes we sure do! They are only about 15 minutes away. Their brewery tours never get old. Especially because they get ya just a little tipsy for free. Not to mention their Tour De Fat that they put on in the fall! The whole old town city streets are pretty much shut down, and the whole city comes out, drinking and wearing outrageous outfits. Everyone just bikes down the streets with their kiddos, then gets to the end where there is free music and fun things to do. We love New Belgium Brewery around here! Have you been?

OH! Here are the pictures that I promised last night.
Going to put that second coat down soon... maybe not today because its forecast to rain tomorrow.
IMG_0488.jpg

And the fireplace area. Were going to do trimboard on the bottom after we put the finished floor down.
IMG_0490.jpg
Old 04-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #47
Almost There

Also, for the next three weeks, progress might be slow. I should probably "quit" the bus for a bit... to focus on finals.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yep, although I couldn't drink the beer. I can't have Gluten. It really tears me up inside, literally. BUt the place is amazing. Did you ever get over to HAppy Lucky tea house? It's GREAT!
I had a good time. I'm looking to move to ft collins or Loveland for a bit as soon as the bus is ready to make the trip.
Although, we hope to fly out in August for a vacation if my folks don't give up the keys to the RV.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #49
Almost There

You will have to stop by to see our bus!! Sure can't wait to see yours!

I grouted the stove spot today. I didn't have a float, so I threw on a glove and did it by hand. It was so much easier for this small area, and turned out pretty well!

The bottom is going to be covered with a baseboard when we lay the floor, and so are the sides against the wall (simply because I don't have the means to cut the tile). We are also going to put some cement board and some artistic styled steel on the wall.

That's all I did today! Trying to wean myself off the bus!

image.jpg
Old 04-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #50
Site Team

great progress!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote