Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
Family wagon, why do you remove the outer coating from the wires within a conduit? Does that mean the ground will be exposed to the conduit then? Would that be risky if the conduit is metal?
The reason I'd read for removing the NM jacket and the paper, ie pulling only the two insulated and one bare conductors into the conduit, was self-heating. I haven't looked into it to convince myself whether it's really necessary or not. A single refrigerator is a fairly light load -- surely under 200 watts running, and probably closer to 100 watts -- so you probably don't need to worry about removing the jacket and paper.

Technically, in the case of metal conduit the conduit system should be securely connected to the ground wire. Accidental contact is only bad in that it should have been intentional contact instead.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Maggiemae,
That is just my gray tank. The only thing on it, is the kitchen sink. I think you are better off trying to have your toilet emptying directly into the black. Not saying it couldn't be done, but you might end up with problems later on. 18 years ago, I lived in my little 24ft travel trailer for a year. I found out real quick about how rv toilets are alot different then household. You don't have the water volume as a household. I found out that you really do need to use rv toilet paper too! Household paper will clog up the black tank to the point it is all paper in there. That is a pain in the a$$ to get back out. I guess what I'm trying to say, if you did a run of 3" pipe to a black tank, I'm not sure it wouldn't plug up before it got to the tank, because of lack of water.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #83
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Hi, love your build so far, I've seen this idea for a convertible sofa online as well, are you still happy with your choice, I'm wrestling with whether to build one of these or purchase a jack knife sofa?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #84
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
Rated Cap: 72
Ok. It just hit me. We need to be ready to LIVE in here in 38 days. Oh boy. There is still so much to be done.

Good point with the black water tank. It just doesn't fit if I were to put it directly onto the underside. I suppose I could drop it down a bit... I'll have to make a support for it or something.

The couch... We have yet to fully use it, but it was really easy to do, I recommend it! I love how easy it is to pull out and how the only hardware I needed was four hinges.

I worked on the countertops today, using some pine panels that we will cover in epoxy once it is sanded to perfection. I didn't want to buy huge vices so I made some using wood and angled nails that sucked the homemade vice tight. Worked pretty well!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	7461
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #85
Almost There

(From our website

We have had three panels of beadboard-like paneling sitting in our garage for awhile, now. We got them on super-sale at Home depot, they were normally about $40 for a 4’x8′ sheet, and we got them for $9 each. We had selected them to use on the walls, and now we are finally installing them!

Before we could install them, we had to run wiring. I ended up running the wire around the bus(instead of under), for the refrigerator/wash machine. I threaded it under the hearth box we made(over the wheelwell). We also had to run a rail, right below the windows, even in depth to the metal railing that the seats used to sit on, so that the paneling would sit level against the wall. This was an interesting task, because I used recycled and warped 2×4’s and a table saw. I was sure to wear eye protection!

I then used a big drill bit, and drilled out about half of the depth of the newly made wooden rail for screws to sit in. I screwed the wood rail onto the wall, right under the windows, using the same wood to metal screws that we used on the ceiling!

Then we installed fiberglass insulation. Previously, I had used metal screws and a piece of cardboard (to act as a big washer) to place the insulation. This time, however, we just used duct tape.

After the insulation was in, it was finally time to place our paneling, Yay! We cut it to size, 31″ tall, and secured it to the bus wall. For securing it onto the top wooden rail, we used finishing/trim nails. We pre-drilled the holes, of course. We used plenty of nails for this, because they are small and will be easy to hide once we paint the walls.

To secure the wood panel to the bottom metal (former bus seat) rail, we sparingly used metal screws. These screws aren’t the prettiest, but they do the job, and will be painted over, too.
After I installed a few panels, I decided to work on the trim to see what the finished product would look like. I did this also because I wanted to know if there would be any problems securing the trim to the boards… and if so, I could change my approach to the wall panel installation. Fortunately and surprisingly, the trim pieces secured wonderfully to the wall panels! The nails we were using almost acted like a screw, joining the trim to the panel very nicely. Also, the fiberglass batting behind the wall panel created rigidity, because we really packed it in there.

For the trim, we are using the same pine planks that I love (and used for our couch)! They are just little 1×3 pine wood pieces. You can’t beat $1.80 for 8 feet of “trim”!! I also created a little railing/shelf below the windows, to help hide the wooden rail and the top of the wood paneling.

Then I put a piece of trim on the end of the ceiling panels, to help hide the uneven-ness (see our other post). It came out superb, I think. Again, securing it using the trim nails.

To finish the windows, we framed them with the same trim, this time only using one wood to metal screw (the same kind that we used in our ceiling).

We will still need to paint the walls and trim white. I usually like to paint BEFORE installing something, but we are in a bit of a time crunch, so I want to reserve painting until the very last minute, where we can paint everything all at once!
---------------------

It's been awhile since I last posted here... sorry guys! Just been in high gear getting this bus ready!

I got the electrical almost all done last week, except for a couple boxes... it was surprisingly easy (after researching it for weeks, lol). Just running 120 off 30 amp... no battery bank/ inverters, etc. for now. Later, we will set that up, but not right now... no time. We have one extra battery we picked up that we will use for the 12v water pump, but that's it for 12v.

Today we switched gears and are working more on the plumbing. The toilet is in, and we got the black water tank cleaned out (we pulled it with poop still in it.., had to use a 5 gallon bucket and run the waste inside to our house toilet). We dropped it down to clear some mechanical things in the way, and created "brackets" using punched steel. It's currently raining, so we are going to finish the toilet-to-tank connection tomorrow. The only drawback of dropping it down is that you can see it from the side of the bus, hanging under. Eventually we are going to put skirts on, but for now it looks just slightly trashy. oh well.

Still working on figuring out the stink stack. I figured all along we had to do it the tried and true way... through the roof. Thought maybe I could run it on the outside of the bus instead, going up. But again, that might not be to aesthetically appealing. We even have a 2" pvc stink stack ready to go... I just really HATE making holes in the roof. Justin thought we could use an air admittance valve directly on the tank, but my sense tells me that would leave the smell of rotting poop under the bus... yuk. Not to mention risking splashing or leaking if it gets too full. Anyone had experience with AAV's REPLACING the black/grey water tank vents? Ayah.. maybe we will invest in a composting toilet in the future. Why is human waste so difficult!?! LOL.

17 days till move in. Can you tell I'm getting a little bus-crazy? Not to mention.. the place that we had arranged to live since wayyyyy back before we bought the bus (in APRIL), fell through last week. All the RV parks are full ('tis the season), wont allow dogs, or won't allow our "old" bus. Here's to hoping that we find a spot to park, here in the next two weeks!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #86
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Lookin' good guys. And I LOVE bead board paneling! Have the same thing in my bath at home. Nice feel to it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #87
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Lookin' good guys. And I LOVE bead board paneling! Have the same thing in my bath at home. Nice feel to it.

Thanks!! I love the feel of it too, I think I will like it more when we paint it white, though. We have wood on wood on wood on wood right now, lol.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #88
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
Anyone had experience with AAV's REPLACING the black/grey water tank vents?
I don't have experience with it, exactly.. but I think a close consideration of what an AAV is supposed to do will lead to the answer. It's supposed to admit air -- let air into the plumbing system. Not out. But when the system ends in a holding tank rather than a sewer or septic system, there needs to be an air path going both ways. Air must be vented out of the tank as water goes in, and air must be allowed into the tank as the tank is drained. There'll be air movement as temperatures change too. I don't think AAV is a good fit here.

Sounds like the "light at the end of the tunnel" leading to moving in and hitting the road is becoming brighter. That's exciting!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #89
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I don't have experience with it, exactly.. but I think a close consideration of what an AAV is supposed to do will lead to the answer. It's supposed to admit air -- let air into the plumbing system. Not out. But when the system ends in a holding tank rather than a sewer or septic system, there needs to be an air path going both ways. Air must be vented out of the tank as water goes in, and air must be allowed into the tank as the tank is drained. There'll be air movement as temperatures change too. I don't think AAV is a good fit here.

Sounds like the "light at the end of the tunnel" leading to moving in and hitting the road is becoming brighter. That's exciting!

Ahh, makes sense. Didn't much look into it, because I figured it wouldn't fit the application anyways. Along the idea, however, I wonder if a carbon based "vent" would work as a solution to a small vent under the bus. Perhaps using fish tank filters, or even ones found in indoor growing operations. A simple Google search returned this: http://m.instructables.com/id/Activated-carbon-odor-killer-filter-for-RVs-and-b/

Might be worth a try... For science :P
If it doesn't work, I won't be at much of a loss. Activated carbon media is relatively inexpensive.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #90
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Watching this closely as I do not plan a vent tube or any other opening in the roof. I am using a composting toilet and plan a two fan vent to the underside. I don't want air, bugs, flies, coming in when the fan is off. I also prefer something that might help kill the odors. I'll try your link. Thanks.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #91
Almost There

We have less than two weeks! Picking up pace as we get our water squared away!

We got a setup of a series of valves from the RV pickings! We modified it to our use, and justin learned how to "sweat copper". We will be using shark bite beyond the copper valve setup, and will have the valves under our sink for better insullation and management. Because we have limited time, we will not yet be using the grey water for toilet water. We have installed almost all of the tanks besides the freshwater. The valves we have will be something like this;

Hookup to either house water or fillup tank. When the fill up tank valve is closed, water will run directly into the sink, toilet, shower.
The house water also has a tank inlet, so we can close the hookup valve, switch on the water pump, and use the tank water.

I'm still working on how the hot water will work, but for now, it will be a t off the freshwater (tank or hookup) into the tank, then individual lines back up and into the sink and shower.

Lol, we wanted to see if the pumps worked, so I rigged them to a cigarette lighter deal and plugged it into my SUV... Old gnarly water came squirting out onto justin. We cleaned up and then went to test the second one. You'd think we would have learned the first time, but sure enough... Gnarly water all over him again! Lol!

We made and installed our cubbies for the clothes. We will go to Joanns fabric store and get the wood crates that fit in there soon. I still also need to get a cardboard backing. I have some OSB board that would fit as the backing, but there's really no need for the extra weight, IMO.

Photos to come!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #92
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Yall learn fast!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #93
Almost There

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	7864

Name:	IMG_1231.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	7865

Name:	IMG_1230.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	7866

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	7867

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	7868

Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
You guys have been BUSY!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #95
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I'd say your moving at record speed to get it ready! Keep us posted!
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #96
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
I'd say your moving at record speed to get it ready! Keep us posted!
Yes, and they have a GREAT attitude and outlook.
Good people, I'd say! ;)
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #97
Almost There

Thanks for all the positive feedback!!!

Last night, we hooked up the waterfor the first time!

The good news is that Justin's viper sweating and soldering worked!!! There were some issues though, of course.

The toilet would not stop filling, and the flush gasket doesn't seal. We had a bit of an overflow, but turned off the water and cleaned it up asap! We can't find any parts for the toilet locally, and so we are going to just purchase a new one for about $140. Kind of a bummer, but we would rather a toilet that works than risk water damage.

Our hot water tank was having leakage too, just on the sharkbite copper to pex fitting. We aren't sure why they are both malfunctioning but I think it's because the old copper pipes, that only run about five inches from the hot water tank, have expanded and thus don't fit the half inch fittings. We will have to return the fittings and remedy the problem.

Our grey water tank has a crack in it, but we aren't too worried about that. We will seal it and if it doesn't work, it's not too big of an issue.

Oh, and I got a strip of lights installed!!! They are the RGB led 8ft strip, we have two! They sure are fun and super bright!!! I installed them above the trim, on the edge/side of the ceiling panels.

We got our cubbies for under the bed, in from joanns fabric at $8 a pop. They look sooooo good and because they are long/deep... They provide us with a BUNCH of storage!

We got a little over a week left!! I will post photos when we are "done"! (Yes, "done" is a relative term... I doubt I will ever be "done" with the bus :P)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hi, long time commercial plumber. An AAV will work and not let the smell go. One thing to consider is most need to be at a minimum 6" above the trap of the fixture. I did not want mine exposed so I took the tank vent through the floor just beside the water to the toilet with an AAV(island vent)
It will not expel gas and will only inhale air. If it does then it needs to be replaced (put it in an accessible spot)
If you are on tanks and no discharge when you are full your full and your toilet is the lowest point so it has no where to go.
The only issue I have had is the vent will stick in the summer if not excersized regularly during the hot months.
I have been installed and only use 2-4 weeks a year cause we are working on mechanical and underneath storage on 1-day a week
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #99
Bus Crazy

Oatey makes the Sure-Vent brand of AAV. Quoting from their product data sheet: "The purpose of an Air Admittance Valve is to provide a method of allowing air to enter the plumbing drainage system without the use of a vent extended to open air and to prevent sewer gases from escaping into a
building. An Air Admittance Valve is a one way valve designed to allow air to enter the plumbing drainage system when negative pressures develop in the piping system. The device shall close by gravity and seal the vent terminal at zero differential pressure (no flow conditions) and under positive internal pressures." (emphasis mine)

The AAV is a great thing for its intended purpose. But an RV with holding tanks is a closed system; when water goes into a holding tank an equal volume of air must come out. From the Oatey description of the AAV, it's clear that an AAV is the wrong part for this application because an AAV by design does not let air out.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #100
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
You have your own opinion. Go with it.
Hope it works for you
Advice is an opinion
I was speaking from experience and opinion
You and I both did not want exposed sewer vents?
Have you tried your tanks yet?
Mine work as expected.
I understand the perfect planning creates the perfect product.
I build 4-14 story buildings for a living as a plumbing and HVAC
If you do not want your vents exposed the the island vent is your option?
C
If not drill another hole in the roof? That is another option or opinion?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote