Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Thomas The Dank Engine

Hey guys!

Never had a forum before but I will do my best to make sense and not lose your interest.

I've had my bus for almost 8 months now. I've been doing all the destruction and raise roof work in that time and figured there is no need to bore people will the same monotonous work.

So my bus is a 2001 Thomas International w/ 135k miles and I believe somewhere around 7300 hours. It has an Allison 2000 and a dt466e.

I live in New England so rust happens. Considering I had the bus delivered at a good price, I can live with the rust. I'm willing to do the dirty peasant work to clean her up inside and out to protect against the future.

I think this is enough to get you up to speed. I'll post more with pictures of progress as soon as I figure out this fancy technology

Freedom chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Old 03-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Floor repair

Here's some more pictures of the floor being repaired. I cut out past the rust and replaced the holes with thick, 11gauge steel. Should hold up for plenty of years to come....

Old 03-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome Freedom chaser

You're right, telling people how to remove rivets does get old. It looks like you've got a handle on the process anyway.

You're going to foam the interior when your lift is done? Is that a live in?

It's looking good so far. Keep it up.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Robin!

Don't think I'll be doing the spray foam, due to the price. My numbers came out to around $1500 for it and I believe I can use traditional insulation for a lot cheaper.

Going to be living in her through all extreme temperatures so I do want to get the best I can afford without sacrificing too much quality. Even bought some dual pane house windows to help with heat loss!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Some Hat Channel that my old Voc Tech High School made for me
Boy its nice to have that connection still

Old 04-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I love rust and it loves me

Here's to more rust

I have almost all the rust prepped at this moment. Other side of wheel wells are ready to be welded. Another area at the front where the stairs met the isle is also ready for weld. Now I've been working on all of the odd corners and anything else not related to the floor.

I think my lungs must be filled with rust and dust from grinding

Even though its not the most glamorous step in building the skoolie or the jaw dropping progress, it is oddly satisfying getting her a good foundation. Once the bus is completely done, it'll be nice to have the ease of mind knowing you can't see daylight looking down at the floor...I hope

Old 04-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice work. To bad about the rust. Nice looking hat channels. Was that a 2' raise?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Great lookin' work...keep the pix a'comin'!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

The roof raise looks difficult? Im considering it. Great job on your build so far, hope you dont run into much more of that rust.

LincolnEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Starting framing the windows. Here's a quick look at the first one. I'll have more pictures soon. Framing them was actually intimidating because it was the first thing that solidified my floor plan. Scary stuff but still looking forward to the layout..

Old 04-09-2017, 02:40 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

I hope those windows have automotive glass and not house glass in them.

If it is house glass they won't live very well out on the road. And in an accident the glass will break into ugly shards instead of into a million little pieces.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnecho View Post
the roof raise looks difficult? Im considering it. Great job on your build so far, hope you dont run into much more of that rust.

just do it!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lookin great!!!

be careful with House windows.. they are VERY susceptible to air leakage if they are the LEAST bit out of true... they arent designed for the constant flexing that a vehicle will give.. air leakage very well may become a problem... flexing the sash in a casement window will result in a busted Dual-pane seal...

the Tales of my actual House taught me lots about windows... I built a new house in 2004.. Nice fancy Andersen windows.. I had lots of air leakage and finally got fed up after 7 years and started a fight with the builder over it... Andersen sent reps out and found some of the windows were a 1/4" out of true top to bottom... that was out of the spec (by a lot for a building).. and allowed lots of cold air...

the upshot was All the windows got replaced and were put in nice and true... and nice warm house.. a house over the YEARS will settle some...

a School bus will cause your window to fit a different way just by how its parked...
I would seriously think about using some Dual pane RV style windows , the weather stripping in an RV window is designed to still keep the air out in various flexing situations... as well as the correct glass for the previous posts about accidents...

if the Bus is going to get parked, levelled, and never driven for years at a time id say house windows might just work... otherwise id be concerned..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Decided to take all the sheets off the back. Combination of existing holes and rust just screamed for a fresh start. So far just the bottom out.

Patched up

Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

As for the windows, I did hear a lot about problems with house windows but I decided to gamble. I'm going to brace them still and hope for the best. If they hold up, I'm hoping for good insulation from extreme temps.

I'm getting ready to drill holes for riveting. Does anyone know what brand and size are good quality and industrial standards?

Starting to debate many things. Like heated floors with PEX. Spray insulation foam (if the right price). Was also thinking about drainage for plumbing and start planning out where to cut into the floor. We were thinking of welding threaded bungs to the floor inside and out for easy mounting. Also cutting holes in the roof for bathroom skylight and replacing existing roof hatches. Anyone know of good brands for the exhaust fans in the ceiling hatch? Want a roof deck too so have to prepare for mounting brackets. Was thinking of welding supports between ribs and cutting out the roof where we would weld brackets to those supports.

Oh yeah, I want to keep the window in the very back thats above the rear emergency exit. I ripped out the gasket because I needed to fix the rust, but I'm not sure where to find a new gasket cheap. I really like that window and it would be nostalgic too I figure.

Need to buy new taillights and all that also.

Cant wait to start the transition. I have to give a shoutout to Transcendence for his design with his from a minivan lift gate. You inspired the hell out of me! So I bought a lift gate and going to do the same thing. Getting closer to sealing this bus up! Cant wait.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Made a mess with the Silaprene, but she should clean up nice
Old 06-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Horrible at using this forum. Apologies for the repeat photos

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #20

Looking good!
The Dark Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote