Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Tinting Windows

Hey Everyone,
I am looking at tinting my windows because they are clear, stock.
My neighbour suggested that I spray paint them from the inside with a black paint but i would like to let in a bit of light if possible. Any suggestions?

d_codebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Spray paint will not leave an even coat and it will noticable when see light from the outside in or vice versa. Using sheets of tinting is much better and pretty cheap if you buy the stuff made for houses from the hardware store.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

thanks
d_codebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I got a 100' X 20" roll off ebay for I think $60 or so (shipped) It would have been enough but I screwed up on probably 5 or so windows & had to run the store & buy another small roll to finish up 2 windows in the back.

Heres a good tip, measure your windows height before you order. Mine are 10.5" (each piece) so 20" width wasn’t wide enough to cover the top & bottom & I ended up with a lot of scrap. I think a 50'X24"roll would have worked out better for me. Also it's a good idea to do the tinting before you build stuff thats going to be in your way.

I did mine at 20% because I thought any less would block out too much light in the daytime. I'm happy with it, during the day it's hard to see inside & if its sunny out its almost impossible to see in.

Here's an ebay link to a 100'X24" 5% tint from the same guy that I bought mine from. Looks like it'd be $70 shipped. Click to see his other auctions, he always has a lot of tint on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROFESSI ... 4692QQrdZ1

There’s another post on here about window tinting check it out.

viewtopic.php?t=592&highlight=tint
Old 04-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjespers
I did mine with a 50' roll from http://www.concordwindowfilms.com for $42. I used the deluxe 2-ply medium charcoal 35% grade. It goes on easy because the windows are all flat. They also have a install kit, but you can get baby shampoo and a squeege anywhere. This is not the static cling type, but the adhesive type. You can get a sample pack from them for $10 with all the grades and colors for you to see. It's a 4x6 flip book with all their films. Then you get $10 off your order. You can see how mine came out at my website below. It ain't perfect, but thats the installers problem (me), not the supplier.
Yeah I would have had enough with my 100'X20" roll if I hadn't messed up on a few windows.

Come to think of it I had a lot of scrap that wasn't wide enough to use. My windows are 10.5" tall so 20"-10.5=9.5 inches of scrap. If I had used a roll that was wide enough to do both the top & bottom I would have been better off. A 50' X 24" should be more than enough.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Reflective film s are the best in hot climates . Auto window film is great for windshields and front cabs . Use high grade reflective type films for rear area s behind the driving compartment . You will save yourself alot of radiant heat/ absorbtion of heat into the glass . Its the black tee shirt versus the white tee shirt on a golf course theory . http://www.btropical.com
racetearoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Almost There

Send a message via MSN to glock17
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote