Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I've had some horrible luck buying dewalt stuff in the last few years.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Bosch and dewalt are normally what i get. Tinyhouse bus since you are around the same area and also go to menards, does anybody around where you live make jokes about the "tool shop" line of tools? Lol.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've had some horrible luck buying dewalt stuff in the last few years.
Yep, dewalt and milwakee have been bought out by some less than reputable overseas corporations. As far as I am aware, makita and hilti are still owned by the original corporations.

Tool shop is crap, but I buy their stuff some times. Just as spares or loaner stuff. I've beeten the **** out of their stuff and it holds up well.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
The kerosene lamp is a bad idea. Not enough light to work with.
Also dangerous if bumped into, knocked over.

Dewalt got sold out, but Milwaukee did not. Milwaukee just moved their production over sea's to cut costs and stay comparable to the crap brands.

Everything I own that is Dewalt is failing and breaking one by one. It is no longer a Contractor grade tool. It is now a home owner grade tool.

I'm a contractor and use my tools hard everyday. That's why the Dewalt wears out.

As the Dewalt tools fail, I'm replacing them with Milwaukee. Nothing I own from Milwaukee has failed under hard use.

Makita is still best. However they are almost twice the price of the Dewalt's, and 25% more than the Milwaukee tools.

Makita is the first tool manufacture to start using the 18 volt Li-ion slide battery's. They introduced them 5 years before anyone else copied their stuff.

20 Volt max is just a marketing scam. They are advertising the peak charged voltage. At discharge, they are still a 18 volt battery just like all the other manufactures. In many cases, most the tool brands use the same cells inside their battery's.

Anything made by Dewalt, bosh, and Stanly is a home owner grade tool. They are not contractor grade tools.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I DO love Makita, but just can't afford their stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhousebus View Post
Thanks and will do. Not sure about the gearing but the rpm governor is set at 2800. One of these days I'm gonna open up the adjustor port and click it up a couple times. Driving it home I was getting 60 mph max. 60 is ok with me, but I'm afraid it will diminish with interior and rear load (flat tow vehicle). Don't need the extra speed but doesn't hurt to have the capability as long as adjusting the governor doesn't run the engine hot or spew out smoke, which I don't think it will.
Just before I forgot, I wanted to correct my RPM's stated. It's 2,400 RPM not 2,800 at which the governor is currently set at.
Tinyhousebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Well, just getting ready for bed here but incase anyone is waiting to hear about the roof raise, I thought I'd post. We didn't quite get it raised but everything is in place and we did raise it an inch, but the angle/U-channel in the rear cap did us in at about 8:15 PM. I couldn't figure out a good way to cut through it since my 4.5" grinder wasn't long enough, my circular saw isn't fast/powerful enough to do much with the cutting wheel I bought for it, and the hacksaw couldn't get flat enough (see pic). Doing all of this cordless kind of sucked today, we would have been done after lunch if we had power. We made two trips back to the house to charge up the batteries after the angle grinder ate them up. The second time was around 5:30 so I stayed behind to watch over all the tools/metal and ended up cutting 8 ribs with my hacksaw while waiting for Julie to return with dinner/batteries.

I think I'll hook up my power inverter to my car battery and borrow my father-in-laws dremel to finish the cutting. After that it shouldn't be long before we're 20" up. We're taking a slight gamble leaving all the rental scaffolding in the bus incase someone wanted to steal it, but they'd have to really want it to risk the ceiling coming down on them.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
Bosch and dewalt are normally what i get. Tinyhouse bus since you are around the same area and also go to menards, does anybody around where you live make jokes about the "tool shop" line of tools? Lol.
I'm not aware of these jokes you speak of, but I have a couple tools from that line. Stuff I don't mind abusing, since they have a "lifetime" warranty. Speaking of which, I used their locking pliers as a chisel holder. Guess I'll have to get a new one when I return the scaffolding. It did last for about 450 rivets though.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Roof is raised. More pics to come, hopefully tomorrow (they are currently on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/tinyhousebus/). We still have to put in long days to get the skin on before it cools down again on Thursday. Half of our skin sheets are primed black and 6 ribs are temporarily bolted.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
A big hell ya to another roof raised.

Glad to see you took on the challenge.

Looking forward to more pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nickfish03, tiny house bus, tinyhousebus