Ok. Here we go. It's computer day since it's cold, windy and rainy. We finished the raise and all the rib extensions yesterday. It took quite a bit longer than we had hoped. We got everything prepped and cut on Sunday (Saturday it rained) after two trips back to the house to charge batteries for my angle grinder. And credit where it's due, a lot of our raise is based off of nat_ster's build.
I wasn't happy with the weight of the roof being on the edge of the scaffold tubing, so Julie went to the corner store (across the street) and picked up a 1.5" spade bit to put a vertical hole into the 2x4 block.
Monday we raised after a few more last-minute unprepared for cuts (shown on the previous page). It took maybe 2 hours to get up 20" with the scaffold jacks and 2ft 2in pvc cheater bars (just the two of us). We had to block up the scaffold/jacks for the last 6" as expected (most of our blocking was scrap/pallet wood). After lunch we spray painted half of the sheet metal with primer. We ended up bolting down 6 of the extensions (didn't glue them yet) and took down the scaffolding.
I wanted to repost this pic. I wasn't happy with the resolution on the other one.
Tuesday I made a morning trip to Menards to return the scaffolding and grab some more adhesive, spray paint and last minute items. Julie pulled out some more rib insulation with a sewer tape our neighbor bent a hook in and lent us. After lunch we spray painted the rest of the sheet metal with the flat black primer. Julie's parents came to help so we got some more extensions put up and glued with Loctite Premium. We were tired after putting in two 12 hour days with quick meals so we called it a night after dinner.
To put the extensions on we:
1. put the adhesive on the legs of the existing ribs
2. place the extension on
3. clamp down at the edge of each lap
4. measure in 1.5" from each lap, automatic center punch the center and drill
5. put a 1/4" bolt with 1/4" washer on each side of the hole, nut on the inside of the channel
6. impact driver with wall socket on the nut and wrench on the bolt head, tighten until it's hard to move the wrench
7. Take clamps off, Julie starts another one and I measure/drill 2" and 2.5" in from the laps for the bolts through the legs. The leg bolts have 1 3/4in fender washers on both sides. To tighten you have to use the driver on the head and wrench on the nut. All nuts will get a dab of adhesive later on to prevent loosening.
Wednesday, we were really hoping to get some of the skin on before the clouds moved in but we only managed to put the rest of the hat channel on, glued and bolted down. We threw a free rubber tarp over the front cap to try and protect the dash/electronics from the forecasted rain. After that we headed into town for pulled pork sandwiches and then brownies from the grocery store.