Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
very nice! making us jealous we didn't do ours.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
A big hell ya to another roof raised.

Glad to see you took on the challenge.

Looking forward to more pics.

Nat
Hey, how did you remove the insulation in the ceiling hat channel? We were hoping to get it out before skinning but we haven't figured out a method that works well enough.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhousebus View Post
Hey, how did you remove the insulation in the ceiling hat channel? We were hoping to get it out before skinning but we haven't figured out a method that works well enough.
A stiff wire like the stuff on the bottom of chain link fences.
I had to temporarily remove the 3/8th inch bolts at the headers above the windows to get the insulation out. Then I reinstalled them. There are two bolts at each rib.

I got around 90% out of the ceiling ribs, 100% out of the wall ribs.

I also pulled a por 15 soaked rag through the wall ribs to paint the inside.

Then I carefully and slowly filled them full of great stuff on a really warm day.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Ok. Here we go. It's computer day since it's cold, windy and rainy. We finished the raise and all the rib extensions yesterday. It took quite a bit longer than we had hoped. We got everything prepped and cut on Sunday (Saturday it rained) after two trips back to the house to charge batteries for my angle grinder. And credit where it's due, a lot of our raise is based off of nat_ster's build.

I wasn't happy with the weight of the roof being on the edge of the scaffold tubing, so Julie went to the corner store (across the street) and picked up a 1.5" spade bit to put a vertical hole into the 2x4 block.

Monday we raised after a few more last-minute unprepared for cuts (shown on the previous page). It took maybe 2 hours to get up 20" with the scaffold jacks and 2ft 2in pvc cheater bars (just the two of us). We had to block up the scaffold/jacks for the last 6" as expected (most of our blocking was scrap/pallet wood). After lunch we spray painted half of the sheet metal with primer. We ended up bolting down 6 of the extensions (didn't glue them yet) and took down the scaffolding.

I wanted to repost this pic. I wasn't happy with the resolution on the other one.

Tuesday I made a morning trip to Menards to return the scaffolding and grab some more adhesive, spray paint and last minute items. Julie pulled out some more rib insulation with a sewer tape our neighbor bent a hook in and lent us. After lunch we spray painted the rest of the sheet metal with the flat black primer. Julie's parents came to help so we got some more extensions put up and glued with Loctite Premium. We were tired after putting in two 12 hour days with quick meals so we called it a night after dinner.

To put the extensions on we:
1. put the adhesive on the legs of the existing ribs
2. place the extension on
3. clamp down at the edge of each lap
4. measure in 1.5" from each lap, automatic center punch the center and drill
5. put a 1/4" bolt with 1/4" washer on each side of the hole, nut on the inside of the channel
6. impact driver with wall socket on the nut and wrench on the bolt head, tighten until it's hard to move the wrench
7. Take clamps off, Julie starts another one and I measure/drill 2" and 2.5" in from the laps for the bolts through the legs. The leg bolts have 1 3/4in fender washers on both sides. To tighten you have to use the driver on the head and wrench on the nut. All nuts will get a dab of adhesive later on to prevent loosening.

Wednesday, we were really hoping to get some of the skin on before the clouds moved in but we only managed to put the rest of the hat channel on, glued and bolted down. We threw a free rubber tarp over the front cap to try and protect the dash/electronics from the forecasted rain. After that we headed into town for pulled pork sandwiches and then brownies from the grocery store.
Tinyhousebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #45
Bus Geek

I love seeing the progress.

Glad the simple methods I demonstrated in my build thread came to good use.

Good job on the detailed pics. Your thread will be added to the small number I point newbies to in the years to follow.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 11-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Roof Raise Timelapse
Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Navistar T444E Disel V8
Rated Cap: 71
Looks like my bus did a couple weeks ago! Looks like we're almost in the same stages!
Intalleyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

All videos on my youtube page are up to date including the roof raise. The skinning videos may not be up until next month due to internet limitations though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CnBe5PnuqY2Yq_
Old 11-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #49
Bus Geek

I also have a few of those wide base ladders. I like them. Nice and stable.

Nat

Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

I'd like to bring as much attention to this thread that was just started, as the Forum Admin page probably doesn't get as much traffic as the conversion page. Take a moment and show your thanks to all those who provide you with a free website community.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/thanks-12362.html

Tags
nickfish03, tiny house bus, tinyhousebus