Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
To the tire Guru's

I got a set of 6 really good Michelin XRV tires for FREE, mine are a bit scary weather checked on the sidewalls. The only problem is they are a bit smaller. I've made up a
spread sheet to see road speed differences. This is the final result. Any comments? Do you think the difference is something I can live with?

Thanks,
Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: To the tire Guru's

Since you are still well within the load limits, my first question would be..."at what Engine RPM?"

The ideal combination of tire diameter and final gearing allows you to maintain your preferred highway speed on level ground at or very near the engines "sweet spot" which is typically close to it's peak torque RPM. Check your engine's specs and work back from there.

Too few RPM's and the engine will "lug" and have to work too hard...too many and it will suck way too much fuel and have a shortened life span. Balance the numbers out and you will get the best of both. Some conditions warrant changing out the gearing. Mine did.

Best of luck, and let us know what you discover.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I would second the comments about effectively changing your rear gearinig. By going to a shorter tire it is going to lower your top speed by 3-5 MPH.

The other comment I would have is I have had really poor service out of Michelin tires.

Depending on how the tires have been stored you may be swapping tires that are in poorer condition than your current tires.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

If you need tires for your bus --- Check with local commercial suppliers. Michelins' are "good" tires but there are better, more economical choices available. Bridgestones, for example, have a great reputation among commercial users who run their fleet vehicles 24/7/365. Big rig tire vendors are another good source for straight info.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote