Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Here's my foam insulation

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Did you spray foam that yourself or outsource it to someone else? How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking......?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #83
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I would venture a guess that he did it himself as there appear to be two empty foam kit boxes & hoses in the picture.

I would love to get more details on how it went and how much foam was used.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
nice job, what density is the foam? are you leaving the over spray on the frame parts on as a thermal barrier and avoid condensation.

In our metal barn I did similar and made small wooden blocks on handy location so that i could mount drywall or plywood sheets.

later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I would venture a guess that he did it himself as there appear to be two empty foam kit boxes & hoses in the picture.

LOL, I've had an entire day looking at my computer screen studying science..... You should see my bloodshot eyes....

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to someone with dyslexia and computer screen eyes.... WHAT a combination.

But how much did it cost?

M
Old 08-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #86
Bus Nut

The kit is called Foam-it-Green and the cost was $627 and with shipping the total was $736. Each container is 60lbs! That might sound pricey but I did alot of research on closed cell foam insulation vs open cell and the performance between the two. This is closed cell and I'm real happy with the results. Every inch equals R7 value. The 602 kit covers 600 sq board feet. I figured (1) kit would be enough for me to hit it twice. It was easy to do...they say you can do it on a Saturday morning and they're correct...messy job though. It's like spraying glue and it got stuck to my feet and I was dragging the plastic around with me...hence the messy floor. It comes with everything you need...tyvek suit, goggles, 2pair of gloves, booties, 17 spray nozzles and for good reason because if you stop spraying for any more than 20-30 seconds you'll have to use a new nozzle. Besides that, I was worried about running out before completing the ceiling and walls....so a quick first heavy pass and then a quick second pass and I got everything covered. I ran out exactly after I finished the second pass and was happy with my coverage. It's impossible to do a perfectly smooth job and since your working over your head, when you go too heavy it drips down on you....that's ok because you're covered head to toe in gear.
All in all, I'm real happy with the results. Now I just have to figure out what I'll be using to trim it. It cuts easy enough but I don't want to do it all by hand. I want a quicker method.
Thanks for the compliment "J" and to answer your questions....I think I'm just shy of 2 inch thickness, it's hard to tell but with R7 for each inch I'm real near R14 on both ceiling and walls I'm not sure yet about how much I'll be trimming from the ribs but I am concerned about thermal issues and condensation. I'll know when I get started and the wheels will turn....
If you plan on going this route, I have tips you should consider

Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
The kit is called Foam-it-Green and the cost was $627 and with shipping the total was $736. Each container is 60lbs! That might sound pricey but I did alot of research on closed cell foam insulation vs open cell and the performance between the two. This is closed cell and I'm real happy with the results. Every inch equals R7 value. The 602 kit covers 600 sq board feet. I figured (1) kit would be enough for me to hit it twice. It was easy to do...they say you can do it on a Saturday morning and they're correct...messy job though. It's like spraying glue and it got stuck to my feet and I was dragging the plastic around with me...hence the messy floor. It comes with everything you need...tyvek suit, goggles, 2pair of gloves, booties, 17 spray nozzles and for good reason because if you stop spraying for any more than 20-30 seconds you'll have to use a new nozzle. Besides that, I was worried about running out before completing the ceiling and walls....so a quick first heavy pass and then a quick second pass and I got everything covered. I ran out exactly after I finished the second pass and was happy with my coverage. It's impossible to do a perfectly smooth job and since your working over your head, when you go too heavy it drips down on you....that's ok because you're covered head to toe in gear.
All in all, I'm real happy with the results. Now I just have to figure out what I'll be using to trim it. It cuts easy enough but I don't want to do it all by hand. I want a quicker method.
Thanks for the compliment "J" and to answer your questions....I think I'm just shy of 2 inch thickness, it's hard to tell but with R7 for each inch I'm real near R14 on both ceiling and walls I'm not sure yet about how much I'll be trimming from the ribs but I am concerned about thermal issues and condensation. I'll know when I get started and the wheels will turn....

BEAUTIFUL!
I love watching your build thread. Keep up the great work!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Thank you CB!!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #89
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
I trimmed my foam with a wire wheel on a grinder. Messy job but the grinder makes easy work of it. Also you can shape the foam anyway you want.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #90
Bus Crazy

Quote:

WOW!!!! For THAT kind of money I can afford two coats to make 4" of insulation! Actually it will be a little less if I take into account the thermal breaks I'm putting in. BTW, I'd LOVE to know about the tips you have! PM me if they are extensive. However, I'm sure others would like to know too....

M
Old 08-19-2017, 04:14 AM   #91
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

It was easy but you have to keep right on moving. I didn't look at the clock but I'm thinking my total continual spray time was about an hour. You can stop and take a break but I didn't want to take the chance of the hoses clogging and there being an issue. As I said, if you're going to stop for any more than 20-30 seconds you'll need to put on a new tip.
I used up the 2-60lb containers. I was able to complete the ceiling and walls with 2 speedy passes. When they say spraying for a one inch coating will cover 600 sqft, that is absolutely correct. I just made it to the end with my second coat and touch up when I ran out.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:16 AM   #92
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
I trimmed my foam with a wire wheel on a grinder. Messy job but the grinder makes easy work of it. Also you can shape the foam anyway you want.
I thought of that but it must make a real dusty mess?

Old 08-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #93
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
Yeah its a real big mess. It made real fast work of that foam. Took longer to clean than it did to trim.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #94
Bus Crazy

TBM,

Where exactly did you get those kits? Lowes? Home Depot? Someone else?

M
Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #95
Bus Nut

It's called Foam-it-Green and the website is sprayfoamkit.com
I got the 602 kit

Old 08-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
Yeah its a real big mess. It made real fast work of that foam. Took longer to clean than it did to trim.
Thank you. I'll try that today. I don't want to do any saw-ing by hand. Right now I'm using an electric carving knife like you would use to carve a turkey. It's not too slow and it's a nice neat job. Maybe then I can finish up and get those places that aren't flush in areas with the grinder.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #97
Bus Nut

One tip to consider...don't go through the trouble of painting the floor before you do this. On the spots where I had a few drops of (regular) paint, the stuff stuck like nobody's business and was very hard to scrape off. However I'd already painted the floor with Rustoleum metal paint primer (the one that's a dark rusty color) and it's scraping off nicely with a putty knife. When I'm finished, I'll be putting on another coat because it's alot of scraping and scratching of the floor.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #98
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
One tip to consider...don't go through the trouble of painting the floor before you do this. On the spots where I had a few drops of (regular) paint, the stuff stuck like nobody's business and was very hard to scrape off. However I'd already painted the floor with Rustoleum metal paint primer (the one that's a dark rusty color) and it's scraping off nicely with a putty knife. When I'm finished, I'll be putting on another coat because it's alot of scraping and scratching of the floor.

Yeah definitely. I've primed my entire interior shell, but left the floor bare. Its heavily galvanized and in primo condition. The few tiny spots of rust were ospho'd long ago.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #99
Bus Nut

Nice!

Old 08-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #100
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It's called Foam-it-Green and the website is sprayfoamkit.com
I got the 602 kit

THANKS!!!!! That's the project for next month! WoHOO!!!!!

M