Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
CaptSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 915
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Too Freakin' HOT!

Interior temps climbed to immediately south of 100 the other day - with a lot of windows open. So I tightened the belt and headed off to Wally World to purchase a 10K BTU window AC unit. It only draws 8.2 amps, so it won't overload shore power.

The fun part? Removing a window in order to install the AC. I've cleared the caulking on the inside using a linoleum knife, but fear that there's some outside that may be holding the window in the opening.

Any suggestions to help me in removing said window?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: onboard the R1!
Posts: 206
Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE200
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444E
Rated Cap: 72
maybe get a can of dust off or freeze spray and blow it like crazy on the stubborn spots so they get crazy cold (frosty even) and it just might make the caulking brittle enough that a pair of flat bars (one on each side) will pop it loose??
__________________
check out my build pics
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...albums833.html
or my random writings... at
www.roadrunnerlogik.blogspot.com
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,949
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I was working inside my bus yesterday.. I bought a 12K Inverter style soft-start Portable 2 Hose A/C to use while working in the bus and then also to use when im parked since i got ripped for talking about idling my bus ...

in full sun with a stock bus that unit did NOTHING.. well i wont say nothing.. it was 94 outside with a dewpoint of 68.. full sun.. non tinted windows... and it made my interior temps 90...

the unit uses dual 6 inch hoses and the air coming out of the oiutput hose was burning hot so I know it was moving heat.. makes me rethink the whole A/C thing... now when running my engine and the portable A/C of course it cooled down inside.. but at idle im estimating im pushing out about 30,000 BTU of A/C plus the 12,000 on the portable..

makes me think I need to tear out my ceiling, insulate and then install tinted windows.. though that will be a next summer thing as I want to run my bus and not have it in pieces the rest of this year..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,161
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I was working inside my bus yesterday.. I bought a 12K Inverter style soft-start Portable 2 Hose A/C to use while working in the bus and then also to use when im parked since i got ripped for talking about idling my bus ...

in full sun with a stock bus that unit did NOTHING.. well i wont say nothing.. it was 94 outside with a dewpoint of 68.. full sun.. non tinted windows... and it made my interior temps 90...

the unit uses dual 6 inch hoses and the air coming out of the oiutput hose was burning hot so I know it was moving heat.. makes me rethink the whole A/C thing... now when running my engine and the portable A/C of course it cooled down inside.. but at idle im estimating im pushing out about 30,000 BTU of A/C plus the 12,000 on the portable..

makes me think I need to tear out my ceiling, insulate and then install tinted windows.. though that will be a next summer thing as I want to run my bus and not have it in pieces the rest of this year..

-Christopher
Yeah buses really are about a worst case scenario for insulation. At least the way they come they are.
Here in HOT and sunny FL, hardly any of us locals buy/use those portables. We tried using one for ONE room in an apartment. Totally worthless.
I guess they're more useful in places that don't get quite as hot.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
skoolie_n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah buses really are about a worst case scenario for insulation. At least the way they come they are.
Here in HOT and sunny FL, hardly any of us locals buy/use those portables. We tried using one for ONE room in an apartment. Totally worthless.
I guess they're more useful in places that don't get quite as hot.
Don't call them worthless! Poor little A/C that could!

For real though, on mine, the exhaust plastic NON-INSULATED duct gets super hot...as if i'm burning a heater and an A/C unit at the same time. So my plan is to stick the portable unit with the exhaust right up against a window, on a shelf
__________________
n00b build > http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...ily-10122.html
Not my fault if anything I post results in someone losing a finger...
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,949
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
Don't call them worthless! Poor little A/C that could!

For real though, on mine, the exhaust plastic NON-INSULATED duct gets super hot...as if i'm burning a heater and an A/C unit at the same time. So my plan is to stick the portable unit with the exhaust right up against a window, on a shelf
you NEED a 2 pipe unit or you are just bringing in more hot air and exhaisting some of your cool air...

I took and used 6 inch insulated flex duct for my exhaust tube and it didnt make much difference...

im going to have to re-think alot of my A/C strategies since I prefer warm weather and my bus will generally be travelling from cold weather toward warmth... in winter of course I'll have to deal with heat.. but theres probably a reaosn my bus stock came with 200k Plus in total Heating BTU

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,171
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
For what it's worth...I know a couple of local folks who tried using top of the line portable A/C's in fairly small spaces and wound up tossing them because they didn't cool worth a squat.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
CaptSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 915
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Let's try this again. I HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED A 10K BTU home window unit. My problem now lies in removing a single window so that I may install said AC unit in the hole now left vacant.

HOW DO I REMOVE THE WINDOW? I'll try the cold spray, but I need more suggestions.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
somewhereinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 1,636
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I can't say about a Thomas, a Bluebird has the windows basically held in with putty. There is one large screw on each side, the bottom sits in a channel. Steady pressure inward at the top was enough to get the putty to start releasing.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
This is why i am insulating the floor the ceiling and sidewalls. I also plan to have some insulated "curtains" ive seen a few people make.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.