Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Toy Hauler

Hello all! First i'd like to compliment EVERY single one of you for your builds, i have scoured the forums and looked into each and every one of the builds that are still active/have pictures. This is a wonderful community that i hope to be able to contribute to very soon.

I currently do NOT have a bus, though i am searching and searching and searching constantly (ideally i want one dressed out, and weekender ready by March/April) I know i want a turbo diesel, ideally i'd like a dog nose with the Cummins 5.9, DT 360, or a DT 466. I guess i couldn't/wouldn't complain with a T444e, but i would really prefer an inline 6.

First off a little about me, im in my early 30's though still act and feel like im 20 occasionally. I have a passion for motorcycles and motor sports of all kinds. I used to race sport bikes, i do race dirt bikes (have an 09 Husky TE510), currently have a fiance and a 100 lb pooch named Zeus. We love camping and the outdoors and a toyhauling bus fits the bill for what we want/need. I ride dirtbikes so getting one of those in a bus is not a problem, now Kim... She likes quads (to each their own) I was searching for a handicap bus in hopes that the door would be wide enough for her quad (Honda trx 700xx) Unfortunately everything i have found says the doors aren't wide enough to fit a quad through... No big deal, i can weld (just dont have my own welder yet), and i was wondering if anyone else has fabbed up a new rear door/entry on their bus? I have found a few buses that have done this and for our application, it would be ideal... I just wonder how much fabbing it would take to get these doors operational? It doesn't seem like much, but i dont have a bus yet to hack into and get to work. Just wondering if anyone else has widened their doors and/or have an advice on doing so? Thank you all for reading and for your thoughts/comments.

Magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Toy Hauler

I love where this is going and really hope you find the resources to make it happen.

Welding is really not needed. All parts of the bus body are galvanized, and should not be welded by a home \ weekend welder. Welding of the galvanized steel will poison you, and make for a crappy, and weak weld that will crack and break. Riveting the steel together will have better holding power. Rivets allow movement as the bus body shifts. Welds just break.

I'm currently tearing town a 92 TC2000 that lived most of it's life on dirt roads. EVERY single weld that was done at the assembly factory has failed. The rivets haven't. I can post up some pics if needed.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Welding is really not needed. All parts of the bus body are galvanized, and should not be welded by a home \ weekend welder. Welding of the galvanized steel will poison you, and make for a crappy, and weak weld that will crack and break. Riveting the steel together will have better holding power. Rivets allow movement as the bus body shifts. Welds just break.

Nat
Must be nice, I have a 99 Thomas and none of my bus body is galvanized. The only galvanized I had was below the windows on the inside. I had to weld my frame back together since I raised my roof, but I do agree that bus body steel should be riveted or screwed to allow for movement. I will have to do some tack welding to attach some of my roof back together. Having both skills is good.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Must be Canadian buses that are all galvanized?

It sure makes for a poisonous tear down.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Bus Geek

welcome
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9

I like it,,post some more pic...........
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

How was that bus? I saw it in KC craigslist. Are you going to buy it?
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla

Do you have more pictures or info on this bus?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

MotoBus - I found the picture of the rear doors before finding the actual bus for sale on Craigslist. I was very interested in it... Unfortunately right now my bank account has said no I am glad to have found the pictures and the idea though, as i will complete that on whatever rig i end up with...

CrazyCal - here is the craigslist ad, it is in Kansas City, MO http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4050716471.html
Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #10

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Thanks for the link. That's a pretty nice bus for 3500 with everything it has. Too bad is a gasser. Still worth it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah... exactly how i felt about it too. I also found this sweet little gem(http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4072098404.html), but it is a gasser as well =( I really want a turbo diesel, preferably with a mechanical fuel pump.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I am very found of the 6 window buses, I saw that one as well. I wish the black and silver bus was shorter.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah i love the full size 6 window buses personally, though... I think for what im looking for i need an 8 window, or a 3/4 length bus... And those seem harder to find