Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Looking at your pics of fthe springs your new springs have the same reverse sag of my springs (orignal) is this reverse sag normal or is it because of the lighter springs?
At first I thought that was an indication of a sagging spring. I guess that's how these springs are suppose to sit. The pictures of the new springs were taken when the bus was empty so they were below their load rating by at least 3000-4000 lbs.

Chad
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #52
trx
Skoolie

Re: Toy Hauler Conversion

Ok, it's been a year...time for an update.....

Over the winter I built new kitchen cabinets for the bus. It was something I always wanted to do and finally took the plunge. I only have basic wood working skills and not much in the area of cabinet making so this was a new challenge for me. It was also a challenge with the limited wood working tools I have. Not only did I want the cabinets to look nice, I wanted to keep costs down and also weight. Sometimes the bus hauls some pretty big loads so I try to save weight in other areas as much as possible. To do this I built them out of Pine (frames) and 1/4" Birch plywood (panels). I probably spent almost as much money on the sink and the Formica for the countertop as I did for the lumber.

My primary tool to building them was a free table saw that I re-powered with a circular saw: http://trx.punknet.org/gallery2/main...2_itemId=15072
The other tools I used was a cheap compound slide miter saw ($100), cheap drill press ($40), drill, belt sander, etc. I do not have a router (yet).

Here a couple pictures:

Completed/Unfinished:

Installed:

I also build under-floor storage which has been very useful:

To see all the pictures the project starts here: http://trx.punknet.org/gallery2/main...2_itemId=10473 and then continues here: http://trx.punknet.org/gallery2/main...2_itemId=10552

Next? Good question. Either finishing the 'garage' so we can use it as a master bedroom when parked or giving the drivers area a makeover. I also need to finish my paint job on the outside. My current priority is to fix a dragging front brake problem since I can't drive it until that is fixed.

Chad
Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #53
trx
Skoolie

Not much to report...been busy using the bus this summer. I did just added eyebrows/eyelids to the front:

Before:

After:

It's 7" wide vinyl I had put on at my cousins sign business. Now it just needs some eyes

I also fixed my dragging brakes problem a few weeks ago, replaced both front calipers and rubber lines. I also needed to buy a replacement hub cap (not that easy to find).

I found some great 12 volt fans to use in the bus:

They are only $11 at Walmart. I purchased two. I'm going to figure how to mount one in my roof vent. I use the power jack on the side with a cigarette plug to power it off my battery bank.

Chad
Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #54
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

You have hella cool set up. I just went through and read and looked at all your hard work. Very nice. I pulled 2 rows of seats out of mine last night. So I have a long way to go. 2 thumbs up for your bus.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #55
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx
Not much to report...been busy using the bus this summer. I did just added eyebrows/eyelids to the front:

Before:

After:

It's 7" wide vinyl I had put on at my cousins sign business. Now it just needs some eyes

I also fixed my dragging brakes problem a few weeks ago, replaced both front calipers and rubber lines. I also needed to buy a replacement hub cap (not that easy to find).

I found some great 12 volt fans to use in the bus:

They are only $11 at Walmart. I purchased two. I'm going to figure how to mount one in my roof vent. I use the power jack on the side with a cigarette plug to power it off my battery bank.

Chad
Nice, I was going to limo tint mine down about 12" driving into the sun is brutal as the sun is setting lol I still have the factory smoked visor thing but its really too small I ended up hainging a magazine on it for extra coverage.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I tinted some eyebrows on my bus. Pretty easy to do on flat glass. The window tint from Wal-Mart works great and one roll would be more than enough to do both windshields. If you really want to do it right, take the windshields out and tint them that way. My windows are somewhat easy to get out. Just don't drop them. Then you'll be sorry!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Your conversion is one of the buses that finally convinced me to convert my own bus. I really liked the "Motorhome" look of your conversion. I sure appreciate the time some of you guys have used to post your work, photos and notes, up on the Web. That and this Website have been and continue to be a great asset! I should have my bus weathered in and ready for storage for much of the winter in the next few days. I am hanging the last couple pieces of sheet metal today and I will get some photos up within the next week or so.

Very nice looking cabinets!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote