Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59
Toyhauler/camper project:

Hi there, well after lurking for well over a year and looking for a reasonable bus, I have made it!!!!!!
Found an ad and called about it. Never saw any pictures and the lady couldnt tell me many details about it. So with very little to go on I drove over 3 hours to look at it. I was originally looking for an automatic but the deal on this was too good to pass up. you see, I got it from a church that had absolutely no use for it anymore, tags expired in '05. called with intention of paying the asking price of $500, got to talking and it was mentioned their lawn mower died on them. So I ended up trading an old lawn mower for it.
Thinking, Yes I finally got my bus! We made it to the gas station a mile away, filled it up with fresh fuel and got on our way. made it 12 miles to the next town when the left rear caught fire, small fire that went out before I was able to run around with the extinguisher. A couple of nice local farmers pointed me to a repair shop over the hill a mile or so away, so there it sat, at the repair shop!
So what is it? its a 1990 Chevy C60 Bluebird 59 passenger with the fuel injected 7.4l (big block 454), 4 speed trans/2 speed axle (not sure about this 2 speed rear split shifting operation though. I am going to have to figure that out.) its got 9600 miles on it. only around 7000 in 2002 according to inspection when they bought it. so it didnt get drove much. the mechanic at first didnt believe the mileage was right but got to looking at the tires and said they all matched, then looked at the wheels, they have never been off according to him.

ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: from lurker to newbie with a bus

Sweet I'd trade a NEW lawn mower for a bus like that.

Personally, I'd take the 4-speed with the 2-speed axle over an automatic, but I would prefer not to feed the gasser.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Yes, leaky axle seals can cause gear lube into the brakes on a full floating axle. The axleshaft itself is the outside seal on the hub so that will just make a mess, not affect the brakes. However, the hub is removable on these axles (much like a trailer axle). The inner seal hides right inside the brake drum so if it fails or the spindle gets grooved (needs a repair sleeve) gear lube will sling all over the brakes. The ironic thing is that brakes covered in lubricant will work BETTER. They will work too well, in fact, grabbing and locking at will.

Shifting that rear end is pretty easy. Say you want to go from 1-lo to 1-hi. Preselect high range by hitting the switch and waiting a second for the springs to preload themselves. Then just let off the throttle and get back into it. You could also tap the clutch just a little. If you want to make a range and gear shift (say 1-hi to 2-lo) preselect low range and shift the transmission. As you're clutching for the gear change the rear will also shift. It will take a little practice when you get on hills I would suspect, but I really doubt you'll find the need to split the gears all that often anyway.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Skoolie

Old 08-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Skoolie

Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairws601

Actually this bus has disc brakes on it.

Hmm...well then that shouldn't have been a problem. Brake pads are still susceptible to contamination, but not nearly on the same scale. Did you just have a caliper lock up?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
Skoolie

Old 08-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

man this is a great bus with the 454 and 4+2 looks to be a 30 footer.I would be givin that bus the love,starting with a pair of flowmasters.nice buy
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Skoolie

Old 08-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Skoolie

Toyhauler/camper project:

UPDATE: Well, its home at a temporary site. Made it 223 miles yesterday with no further problems. The problem was a collapsed brake hose not allowing pressure to escape the caliper. Cost me $378 for an oil change and service, 2 brake lines, pads, fluid and labor. Not bad I dont think, I was a little relieved knowing someone had looked it over before heading home this time.
Had a fairly easy time driving her back, learning the 2 speed axle will take some time. I have gotten the shifting into high figured out but still need practice on the hi to lo shift. most of the trip home she purred 65 mph up hills in 4-hi no problem but 2 steep ones I left it in hi and down shifted to 3rd gear which was a little low, I needed to go from 4-hi to 4-lo I guess but was unsure how to do it exactly so I wasnt going to try that on a hill with traffic behind me just yet. I have tried it on flat ground going from hi back to lo range without changing gears in trans and get the chatter from the rear so I just quickly put it back to hi to stop that. scared to try that many times for fear of breaking something.
Now, for my plans, toyhauler/camper. space is an issue here with a UTV and ATV to haul thats over half the bus! so got some planning on what to fold up or down and what is going to have to be lost to do it. I have seen so many great ideas on this site over the last year so I will come up with a good plan in the end. I have always wanted to move the entrance door to the middle and someone has done this and done it very well!:
RazorCityDen's 1994 Cornbinder viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3981&start=45