Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #281
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Transmogrifie and Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
That's why you use furring strips and you do the edges first, then the center (butt the wall side of the plywood to the wall, then lower towards the center of the bus). Thaat way you don't have to "clear" the chair rail.
I was trying to use one sheet all the way across. Wouldn't clear the rail and I couldn't bend it. It was only about 1/2" too short but I didn't want to just cut off 1/2". I'll figure something out. Too far now.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #282
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

If your floor panels are too wide you can take off a bit with the circular saw without pulling up the plywood. Set the circ saw blade so it's extended just a bit more than the thickness of the plywood then run the saw blade through the line where the two panels butt together. You may have to take a few passes but it's easier than removing the panels.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #283
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
If your floor panels are too wide you can take off a bit with the circular saw without pulling up the plywood. Set the circ saw blade so it's extended just a bit more than the thickness of the plywood then run the saw blade through the line where the two panels butt together. You may have to take a few passes but it's easier than removing the panels.
They're fine now. It was just that one full piece from wall to wall wouldn't clear the chair rails in one piece. I thought they were high enough on one side to give me a little room, you know like when you're fitting shelfs in on pegs. It's all done now but not down permanent so if I have to burrow under to make 'furring' I might have to. Pieced together well though all in all, if I could just get it to lie flat.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #284
Bus Nut

Why is it that I get purge error messages when I try and load any of the tutorials? Thought before it was my mini-me status but I'm Skoolie now.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #285
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoll
Why is it that I get purge error messages when I try and load any of the tutorials? Thought before it was my mini-me status but I'm Skoolie now.
I'm getting errors too, but just on the tutorials, not the messages below.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #286
Bus Nut

OK.. I just read all of Wild Blue's thread and I am equally depressed and inspired. My instructors in college used to say 'you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time'. I think my last few bites need to be re-chewed. I learned from sewing projects it's always best to just rip it out and do it right. Grrrrrrr...

And I LOVE their kitchen.

Moving into the bus, empty as it is, this next weekend. Toilet should arrive tomorrow. Going to move existing furniture and things in to 'mock up' where I want things to get a feel before I start putting in walls etc. I will be 'camping' out with a membership to the gym for showering etc. NIght temps remain at 25-27 degrees. Supposed to snow tomorrow.

Funny, some people seem to think of that as being homeless. I have a good job and I will have money to build as I go when I'm not paying rent to an apartment owner.
So does that make me a 'full timer'? That remains to be seen I suppose.

Sorry, rambling.. I am woman, I will survive... I am invincible.. *lol* Dang, 8x4 1/2 plywood sheets are heavy.....
Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #287
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Shadoll,
Just wanted to say kudos to you lady! I'm a newbie here and don't have our bus yet, but planning to get one this summer. You have done a crazy amount of work and are definitely an inspiration. Rock on and keep up the good work! And no, I don't think what you're doing is considered being homeless, you're just doing a live in renovation! People do it all the time in houses, theirs just don't have wheels

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #288
Bus Geek

think of like this

if it's snowing....it could be a lot colder

Good luck with the "move" and you'll get it done in time
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #289
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
... Moving into the bus, empty as it is, this next weekend. Toilet should arrive tomorrow...
Ah, the happiness of getting the toilet installed. Ranks right up there with having your own shower!!! No more schlepping to the bathhouse (do little uptight white boy happy dance). For those who do not understand what not needing a bathhouse does..... It gives you the FREEDOM of being able to park in a mobile home park (often cheaper than an RV park) as opposed to an RV campground. And not all RV parks have bathhouses. The one we stayed at in Socorro didn't have one.

Quote:
Funny, some people seem to think of that as being homeless. I have a good job and I will have money to build as I go when I'm not paying rent to an apartment owner.
So does that make me a 'full timer'?
The phrase is "houseless" as you have a home,it has wheels. I figure we are fulltimers (we live 24/7 in our "under construction" Residential Vehicle) so to me that means we are Fulltime RVer's! I really don't care if those nutcases in their sticks-&-staples Recreational Vehicles don't think I am a fulltimer. They also say we don't "boondock" when we stay overnight in a parking lot without hookups. I call that boondocking (although I generally refer to it as wallydocking). They say we would have to be in the "boonies". So when I lived in a house that was on the Little TN River, 13 miles from the nearest town and 15 miles from the next nearest town, with my closest neighbor 1/2 mile as the crow flies and the mail box was at the end of the 1/4 mile driveway... Was I boondocking then????? I get confused over the booniewackos PC definition of Boondocking. But I have figured out those are city folks.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #290
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I learned from sewing projects it's always best to just rip it out and do it right. Grrrrrrr...
I don't want to admit how many times I got half way through installing something then found that way wasn't going to work or that there was a better way to do it.

It's way easier to do the floor right in the beginning than to have to remove all your furniture and cabinets to do it over again.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #291
Bus Nut

I'm still not sure that what I'm doing is the right thing, but I'll give it a try. Bought 'more' supplies today and probably won't be able to work on it until Thurs. After I move next weekend it will be a while before I can 'spend' anymore so it will have to do for the meantime. Can't lose much more headroom but I'll have an inch more insulation.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #292
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkblots84
Shadoll,
Just wanted to say kudos to you lady! I'm a newbie here and don't have our bus yet, but planning to get one this summer. You have done a crazy amount of work and are definitely an inspiration. Rock on and keep up the good work! And no, I don't think what you're doing is considered being homeless, you're just doing a live in renovation! People do it all the time in houses, theirs just don't have wheels
Thank you!! I needed that about now. I missed your post I guess until now. I grew up with sawhorses in our living room, my dad built our house from the time I was a baby until I was 18 I think. Snow storm again today.. I don't remember it snowing this much in past years.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #293
Bus Nut

OK.. moving day tomorrow for furniture, floor is only 2/3 of the way done. Still will have a few days in the apartment though. I'm liking the floor much better!! A couple of near boo boo's but, it should be fine. A lot more screws to put in.

OK.. photobucket is not playing nice.. but these two loaded.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #294
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Looks like you used some decent plywood for your sub-floor - if you wanted to avoid or defer the further expense and hassle of flooring, I think you could stain and/or polyurethane that plywood and it would be an acceptable looking floor. Just sayin', I've seen it done, and it looked fine. Especially if you put a rug or runner rug down the middle...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #295
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Looks like you used some decent plywood for your sub-floor - if you wanted to avoid or defer the further expense and hassle of flooring, I think you could stain and/or polyurethane that plywood and it would be an acceptable looking floor. Just sayin', I've seen it done, and it looked fine. Especially if you put a rug or runner rug down the middle...
I tried to put better (smoother) plywood down where the vinyl trafficmaster is going. I already bought the plank tiles. So half the bus is going to be that.. and when money allows, I have a guy who has a piece of carpet he's saving me for the other half. I used cheaper plywood where the carpet is going and under where built ins will be. I hope it works out, but like you said, for now, runners and area rugs, moved some stuff in and put the rugs down in the finished half.. I likey. Time and money crunch for the moment, moving and settling and I still have a few feet of flooring to finish. But, as soon as the moving is done and the sub-flooring, the cat and I are just going to take a breather and get used to the new digs. Still 26 degrees at night here and snowed again today.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #296
Bus Nut

And I put in very few screws, will have to finish those up soonish as well.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #297
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
...Still 26 degrees at night here and snowed again today.
How is that Big Buddy heater working out for you? Are you using both sides? Using the small camping propane cylinders? How much heat gain do you get above ambient temperature? How long do those little cylinders last? Sorry, lots of questions!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #298
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
...Still 26 degrees at night here and snowed again today.
How is that Big Buddy heater working out for you? Are you using both sides? Using the small camping propane cylinders? How much heat gain do you get above ambient temperature? How long do those little cylinders last? Sorry, lots of questions!
Just closing the doors at both ends seems to help temperature inside, especially this last couple of days (Says is "31 degrees, real feel 17") with this wind. Haven't been out there too late at night though yet. I am running it on low, or medium once, and it does really improve the temperature. On High I believe it would cook me out of there. Yesterday though I worked all day without it even on, like I said just closing the doors made a big difference. Low and medium only use the 1st side and I think once I put the batteries in it for the 'fan' to work it will be even more efficient.

I'm running a 20# tank on it so I'm not sure where I'm at so far, have only run the heater about 3 days. I need to get a second tank on payday as that will be my second night in the bus and I don't want to not have a backup.

I think I'm getting accustomed to the lower temperatures though because any time I'm around real heat I can almost smell it and I get hot fast.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #299
Bus Nut

Sub floor done and moved around furniture that was in the front half from Saturday. Temporary mock up furniture.

Still have some lumber and tools to move out and some clothes and personal effects to move in, in the next couple of days.

View towards the front, was dark out and using a small pole lamp.

After Thursday, I'm gonna take a couple of weeks to catch up on bills and get myself and the cat accustomed to the new digs. Veg time for me. Carpet laying friend is coming to give me an Estimate Thurs to save towards. One of the few things I'm not going to be doing myself.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #300
Bus Nut

OK.. got out of the apartment late due to work, owner is threatening to charge me a whole month.

In bus tonight it's 10:00 and it is supposed to get down to 33 tonight. Better than 25. Have the big buddy on medium because when I turn it down to low it's still cold. I suppose it will take a while to get it warmer and I don't have the batteries yet to make the fan go to circulate it more. Carbon Monoxide tester does have batteries and is tested and set. Also the fact that I should move the bed closer to the heater, as they are on opposite ends.. hmmm.

It feels like i'm camping out in my storage shed. Was hoping to get here longer before dark but am looking forward to having this weekend to rearrange and etc. Did put some bubble wrap on the windows around the bed. Cat was Ok when he found out that his food dish came along. Also the big dog on the property flashed by the window so he knows something is out there.

Gym bag is packed, stove set up for coffee in the morning.

One day at a time.