Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #461
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoll View Post
Well shoot another year and coming up on 2 years in the bus and I can't really say anything new. Bought a RV washer/dryer yesterday that I won't be able to use. Bus is having fuel line issues and won't start. Cold again this winter, was sick and 18 degrees before I got the heat on and my tarantulas both died. Sad.

But all in all I'm still content and good.

This page is all different so I'm not sure I'm posting on my own post or to my old posts... Guess I been gone awhile.
Is that a washer/dryer combo unit? Just curious what unit you got. I was discussing this with another forum member who is just going with a washer.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #462
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Washer/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Is that a washer/dryer combo unit? Just curious what unit you got. I was discussing this with another forum member who is just going with a washer.
EastCoast - yes.. washer and dryer in one. Splendide brand. Will fit where I was going to put a closet with room for shelves still above it.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #463
Bus Nut

Window latches.

Found a place in Louisiana that sells the plastic door thumb things for $1 each. Problem is he 'can't afford to send anything less that $50'. I'm thinking 12 windows on each side x 2 ea window would be 50-ish if I needed to replace them all. But still.. geez.

Another place has one for a Thomas/Carpenter/Ward/Wayne (which I would think would be almost interchangeable with a Superior-they look the same only thicker) for $7.95 and one place for $5.95 each.

My head is wondering if I could 'fashion' something that would work. As it is I've drilled little holes in the ones that broke and attached a paperclip.

If anyone has any to sell I'd be interested.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #464
Bus Geek

I have a Ward I'm pretty much completely gutting, and if you'll give me a better idea what the plastic door thumb thingy is, I'd likely send you one if I have it lying around. Pic?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #465
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have a Ward I'm pretty much completely gutting, and if you'll give me a better idea what the plastic door thumb thingy is, I'd likely send you one if I have it lying around. Pic?

Just the white plastic piece. Window release thumb tabs.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #466
Bus Geek

PM me your address and I'll send you the ones off my bus.
I'll pull one off today or tomorrow and make sure its the same, but I'm sure it is.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #467
Bus Geek

Well, I got one window out with a little daylight left, and broke the plastic pieces. I have the same ones, though. I'll try to be more careful, but the plastic is old and a bit brittle.
I'll get you at least a couple, bubble wrap them and mail them out by friday. They should be there next week, provided I don't break them. Three were already broke when I got the bus, so I'll do my best.
I did spill a beer messing with this widow today!!

I wish they'd just made them of metal.
Only my emergency windows have these, the others have the pot metal wedge shaped ones mounted to the windows at the corners.
It you're handy, I think these could be made from wood if done right. It wouldn't be too hard really.
Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #468
Bus Nut

OK... the time I've been dreading has come. My landlady is selling her property. She is looking for another house that she can 'take me with' but in town they will not allow me to live in the bus. I can live in her house and park it at the house if we get one with RV parking. I am not set up to be classed as RV yet (2 years I should have gotten more done). Talked to a couple of mobile home/rv parks and they are wishy washy on the subject. I think they really don't know what to say, or ask. One lady kept telling me I had to have the personal property taxes current.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #469
Bus Geek

I hate to hear stuff like that. One thing about owning a bus that can be a real bear.

If I had the money, I'd buy a bunch of property somewhere with friendly codes and regulations and let anyone with a school bus live there who wanted to. That's my communistic, idealistic dream...
Old 02-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #470
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
I hate to hear stuff like that. One thing about owning a bus that can be a real bear.

If I had the money, I'd buy a bunch of property somewhere with friendly codes and regulations and let anyone with a school bus live there who wanted to. That's my communistic, idealistic dream...
That would be awesome!!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #471
Bus Nut

When needing a place to park

look for a place with a few acres out of town. Be a good tenant. Be helpful. I live on 10 acres and have had many rv visitors. Some folks stayed a few months and another stayed a year.. I charged $200 a month plus electric power. Here in Idaho, keeping warm with electric is very spendy. One guy spent almost $400 just for power. A catalytic heater with propane seems to be the best solution.. Farmers will also rent a spot. Craigs list works good,, frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #472
Bus Nut

Skoolie Commune...

Quote:

I like that.. maybe we should make a 'home port' commune for Skoolie types. With enough electricity to work on them.. *snickers*
Old 02-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #473
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id View Post
look for a place with a few acres out of town. Be a good tenant. Be helpful. I live on 10 acres and have had many rv visitors. Some folks stayed a few months and another stayed a year.. I charged $200 a month plus electric power. Here in Idaho, keeping warm with electric is very spendy. One guy spent almost $400 just for power. A catalytic heater with propane seems to be the best solution.. Farmers will also rent a spot. Craigs list works good,, frank
Good idea to check out the farm types. Although here in Payson we don't have much like that but horse ranchers maybe.

And your deal would be a deal for sure.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #474
Bus Nut

Found a new squatting place, same neighborhood, different co-worker. A few adjustments. They approached me not vice-versa.

Scored a black water and grey water tank, I hope they will fit, the pic looks promising. Now I just need the toilet and a few odd plumbing pieces and my water/sinks/shower/bath will be almost complete to build.

Another co-worker got me a horizontal propane tank with guages (I just paid to have it tested and certified), and another co-worker is getting me some nice 70's kitchen cabinets to re-work (told him I just needed the skeleton).

Things seem to be coming together and the timing seems better than usual.

Now I just have to 'get busy'.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #475
Bus Geek

Good things happen to GOOD PEOPLE! Glad its all workin out far you!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #476
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Glad things are working out for you!!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #477
Bus Nut

its not what it seems....

OK need to get a better picture. There is a canister to the right of this picture (you can see the tubes coming from it in the top right corner). There is a switch (?) of some kind that has two wires running to it, and it is hissing air. Air relay? For the door buzzer or? I can't find any pictures online so I'll just have to take one. (Wondering if it's necessary) *Laugh*

Fuel pump is being a real issue. Friend is trying to fix it and one problem leads to the next. Bypassing the old inline fuel filter in front of the tank I think and putting regular style fuel filter inline. Good news, engine still runs great on starter fluid. Am finding that not all 'remodels' are equal. It is thought now (not verfied) that... it has a 454 (?) something instead of the stock 350 or 366 engine. The wiz bang 400 turbo transmission they put in is actually perhaps not strong enough torque for that large of bus (not confirmed as of yet)(I think I posted this before). Could by why it was shifting so hard.

Also tires are tube tires. Can these be upgraded and what is involved.

Always leary when too many people have too many opinions.

Oh.. and by the way.. moving didn't happen, I'm still in the same place.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #478
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Tire choices come down to the rims. Most rims after the mid fifties or so are the tubeless type but they can run tubes (which some old-timers still believe are "better"...not). That said...you CANNOT run tubeless tires on a tube-type rim.

Your best bet is to have a tire shop, preferably the big truck type, take a look-see. No telling what someone may have installed on that gal in the past.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #479
Bus Nut

Engine (427?) and Transmission (AT540?)

OK.. Picture of the thingy. Why can't I find pictures of things on the internet.. they have everything. Anywhoooo... hissing, losing air right there.

Poked around under (lots of spiders, not that I don't love spiders, but I don't want to crawl into their home with them), took pics and looked online and etc. Have come to the conclusion that no, they did not replace the transmission with a new turbo 400 (like the guy was bragging). It looks to be in fact an AT540. I'm good with that.

Engine (because said friend said that it wasn't a 350 or 366, like the manual, but bigger engine. The Superior Coach and Chevy Chassis did make a bus in 1979 with a 427. Which I only find references otherwise in Corvettes. Superior Coach officially went out of business in 1980. VIN no ID says that it has a 366.

(Interesting bit of history I also found. Bus regulations came into effect after Oct 1967 incident. Reports said that too much, too thick of, metal in buses shredded children in accidents. Rivets were too far apart to keep panels in place. So mine being one with rivets spread out, I will be shredded in a major accident. Perhaps a good reason to redo the inside ceiling... naw.. )

Couldn't match any casting numbers to online numbers after almost an hour of searching.

By date stamp code D= April (weird) 18, 1979.

Couldn't find this number, not going to tear the valve covers, fly wheel or etc off to look for another number. Maybe another time.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #480
Bus Nut

Rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Tire choices come down to the rims. Most rims after the mid fifties or so are the tubeless type but they can run tubes (which some old-timers still believe are "better"...not). That said...you CANNOT run tubeless tires on a tube-type rim.

Your best bet is to have a tire shop, preferably the big truck type, take a look-see. No telling what someone may have installed on that gal in the past.

Am going to check on this and see if I can get regular tire rims to fit.