Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Transmogrifie and Me

Thanks Bansil. I know it's going slower than I even wanted. And now my time frame is moving up a month. But... I'll get there enough.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Another warm day. Although I only have about 45 minutes between work and dark.. slowly but surely.

progresss....

Went back and got local DMV all straightened out so insurance won't get cancelled. Geez.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #63
Bus Nut

I'm getting real interested in the set up Travelinwithus has for his solar panels. I am looking at batteries and the local O'Reilleys store has http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C1980 I think must be their store brand. Since I am going cheaper and don't intend to put a lot of strain, would 2 of these batteries suffice until I have more funds? ($74 to $300 each for batteries on my!). All and all the combination would be about $400.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #64
Almost There

Year: 90
Coachwork: Volunteer
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65

sounds like me with the time,lol I ran out of extention cords so im having to do all my cutting outside the bus with a flashlight but its slowely coming together
Six Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Wow-.. I'm no longer a mini-member.. I feel sorta.. proud and sad.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #66
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoll
I'm getting real interested in the set up Travelinwithus has for his solar panels. I am looking at batteries and the local O'Reilleys store has http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C1980 I think must be their store brand. Since I am going cheaper and don't intend to put a lot of strain, would 2 of these batteries suffice until I have more funds? ($74 to $300 each for batteries on my!). All and all the combination would be about $400.
I have three batteries about the same size in my setup. It keeps up with the nearly full size fridge just fine. We typically use Double A powered tap lights at night as much as possible as I haven't done anything with lighting inside the bus and the original light fixtures use quite a bit of electricity. We usually watch a couple hours of TV or movies at night also. The solar panels work great for recharging after this type of use. We are typically around 11.5 volts when we shut everything off for the night and go to bed. There have been a few times when running off of just the three batteries that we woke up at 6am with the power inverter beeping when the fridge kicked in because the batteries were two low. When that happened we just connected the bus batteries and waited until morning for some sunshine. If you plan to use an electric coffee pot, hot water heater or any other high wattage appliance then more batteries would be needed. I am amazed at how much power some things use. Never really realized it until we began our trip and boondocking for several nights in a row. I am extremely satisfied with the solar panels and would recommend them to anyone thus far.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
I am extremely satisfied with the solar panels and would recommend them to anyone thus far.
Thanks, was hoping to get by with 2 batteries. Will have to make some sort of under mount housing for them. I just like the idea of getting your solar to work on a small scale. After next week I will have more time for the bus, hope the nice weather holds a bit longer here.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Just so you know..........
You can get more amps from two 6 volt batteries vs one 12 volt....... the two 6 volt batteries must be hooked in series to produce the 12 volts needed to run whatever.... FYIO
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Just so you know..........
You can get more amps from two 6 volt batteries vs one 12 volt....... the two 6 volt batteries must be hooked in series to produce the 12 volts needed to run whatever.... FYIO
Our electrician at work told me that. I was going to read up on it. So thanks . So would you have 4-6 6 volt batteries then? Saw this whole chart on different series setups on one site. Golf cart batteries?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #70
Bus Nut

yes.... If you have not already purchased the batteries then by all means get the 6 volt deep cycle batteries, two 6's for each 12 ....... hook the six volts in series 2 each then treat then as a 12 in parallel with the other two 6 volt paired batteries .......series is neg on st to the positive on the 2nd. that makes you 12 volts. to parallel them you use the positive on the first and the negative on the second battery as if it was one single 12 volt. now that I have everyone confused it's time for my coffee break........ will check back later...

by all means do your research online and get it straight in your head before you start hooking stuff up.....
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #71
Bus Geek

when hooking them together try to maintain the same length cables, even 1/2in difference can make the difference between an awesome system and a good system
This is the question I asked and it has good info in it
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-for-scrutiney
just giving you extra reading material

and I have already changed everything in the original posted pic
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
when hooking them together try to maintain the same length cables, even 1/2in difference can make the difference between an awesome system and a good system
This is the question I asked and it has good info in it
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-for-scrutiney
just giving you extra reading material

and I have already changed everything in the original posted pic
*lol* So do you have a final diagram? And how does that work?

And Oh Yikes.. one battery weighs 119 lbs? The one that guy references Lifeline or whatever.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Wow, there was a lot of good info in that thread! The larger batteries can be that heavy, but it all depends on what you want, one or two large batteries, or multiple smaller batteries. I had 3 12V deep cells for my house batteries, but I allowed them to get drained down 2 winters ago and they ruptured. They will be replaced with 4 6V deep cells. 2 pairs wired in series, with the pairs joined to each other in parallel, to equal 12V. Your bus looks like a fun project! You need to get lighting in there so you can work later!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #74
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Here is a link to a page with a lot of battery info. I have dealt with these floks for years and there info is allways spot on. Some of the articles are being updated and will come back soon. Also thier disscusion fourm is very informitive about solar, batteries etc.http://www.windsun.com/
Hope you find some usable info.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschlessman
Here is a link to a page with a lot of battery info. I have dealt with these floks for years and there info is allways spot on. Some of the articles are being updated and will come back soon. Also thier disscusion fourm is very informitive about solar, batteries etc.http://www.windsun.com/
Hope you find some usable info.

Chuck
Thank you so much.. will read up.

P.s. Just noted that they are about 90 miles from me. I can actually make a visit to their property and talk to them directly so no shipping. Thanks again..
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Wow, there was a lot of good info in that thread! The larger batteries can be that heavy, but it all depends on what you want, one or two large batteries, or multiple smaller batteries. I had 3 12V deep cells for my house batteries, but I allowed them to get drained down 2 winters ago and they ruptured. They will be replaced with 4 6V deep cells. 2 pairs wired in series, with the pairs joined to each other in parallel, to equal 12V. Your bus looks like a fun project! You need to get lighting in there so you can work later!
And Thank you. Yes, I need more time. Looking forward to spending some time on this long weekend. I bought a cute solar light from the camping store I'm looking to see how much light it gives me. I don't know if the interior lights work yet and I only have the starter battery for now. All in good time.

I think I can get by with your set up of batteries myself. Will have to see but will start with that. Thinking that setup and one of those solar panels that Travel is using.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #77
Bus Nut

Re: Transmogrifie, Piano and Me

In assessing my crowded 2 bedroom apartment, downsizing for the bus, and making a list of what I can sell, I convinced myself that I can part with my piano. I have a couple of people that are interested in it so in 'sprucing it up' to have them come look at it, I got to thinking. I couldn't sleep last night.

I have had this piano in my life for almost 50 years. On the other hand, I have been trying to be concious of the weight in the bus. Putting the piano in the bus would blow that out of the water pretty fast. But if I, did put the piano into the bus it will be like having an old friend in my cozy new home. My playmate, my soulmate in a sense. I searched on this site and there was another build that had the same kind of piano in the bus (along with a pop up VW bus on the roof). A few people had electric pianos installed some way or another but it's just not the same. If I didn't have my piano I would not have an electric keyboard. I'm not great at the playing, it's more a venting/comfort thing. I've tried guitar a couple of times, too bad that didn't work out.

As far as environment, I've come to the conclusion that having it in the bus won't be any different on it's well being than the few times I've had to store it in non-climate controlled storages for long periods of time, or moving it from Oregon to AZ to OR to AZ a couple of times. Then there is the tie down aspect of it all.

Besides, it would be kinda quirky and acoustic to have a piano in the bus in the woods. Would 'fit my style'.

I think I have to make it work.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoll
I think I have to make it work.
So do I...it's your dream, live it the way you want to and don't look back
Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #79
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

I have my reed pump organ in my bus. I wouldn't hesitate to put a piano in my bus. The acoustics are awesome.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #80
Skoolie

That would be really cool, especially since the piano has been with you for so long. Go for it.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote