Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Transmogrifie and Me

I don't really think that weight is an issue. A spinet weighs 300-500lbs, not all that much in the greater scheme of things. Looking at
todays average person that's only 2-3 people. I would definitely add something to my plans that is that much of a part of your life.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Transmogrifie, The Piano and Me

Thank you to everyone for your support. I feel sooooo much better now regarding the piano.

Yesterday I took off due to the holiday. Friends all going places but I spent a good sunny afternoon with the bus, friend brought me a doggie bag. Getting the rubber nearly 95% off now. Tested some Rust Reformer on a big spot of pitted rust. Also tested some stripper that if I get the timing just right it takes the glue (and paint) up slick. By hand this has become a long job. My body is telling me I overdid a bit but that's a good thing really. And a sense of accomplishment of how far I have gotten sans electricity.

Hope everyone had a grand Turkey Day. And I have to say thanks for my health, my friends and for the troops who didn't make it home yet.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Transmogrifie, The Piano and Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoll
Thank you to everyone for your support. I feel sooooo much better now regarding the piano.

Yesterday I took off due to the holiday. Friends all going places but I spent a good afternoon with the bus, friend brought me a doggie bag. Getting the rubber nearly 95% off now. Tested some Rust Reformer on a big spot of pitted rust. Also tested some stripper that if I get the timing just right it takes the glue up slick. By hand this has become a long job. My body is telling me I overdid a bit but that's a good thing really. And a sense of accomplishment of how far I have gotten sans electricity.

Hope everyone had a grand Turkey Day. And I have to say thanks for my health, my friends and for the troops who didn't make it home yet.
post some pictures of your progress, i like to see how you are doing. pulling the rubber up is a real chore
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #84
Bus Nut

Transmogrifie and Me

To date I have a little bit around the still existing benches to get up. I tried unbolting the seats but the bolts just spin, I need to find someone to put under the bus to hold the other end (as I don't have a saw). That very center is the only place where the rust is actually into the metal.

The seats will be coming out but as I posted before I want to turn the other bench to face this back one for a booth, however, the legs are on the wrong side if I do that. So I thought about turning the longer booth so I'd have a staggered sort of walkway and one longer booth on the other side of the table. Have to see when I get them off.

Also noted while working yesterday that there are no 'emergency' windows. I remember emergency windows when I was a kid even.

Kinda looks like everyone elses floor before painting shot.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Transmogrifie and Me

What's the best thing to use to wash and wipe down everything before painting. I think the stripper can said mineral spirits?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #86
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

Before painting, I like to use ammonia, either straight or diluted with water, then after the surface has dried, a wipe-down with Clorox bleach, either straight or diluted with water. Then, when dry, I paint.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #87
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Transmogrifie, Piano and Me

Quote:
In assessing my crowded 2 bedroom apartment, downsizing for the bus, and making a list of what I can sell, I convinced myself that I can part with my piano. I have a couple of people that are interested in it so in 'sprucing it up' to have them come look at it, I got to thinking. I couldn't sleep last night.

I have had this piano in my life for almost 50 years. On the other hand, I have been trying to be concious of the weight in the bus. Putting the piano in the bus would blow that out of the water pretty fast. But if I, did put the piano into the bus it will be like having an old friend in my cozy new home. My playmate, my soulmate in a sense. I searched on this site and there was another build that had the same kind of piano in the bus (along with a pop up VW bus on the roof). A few people had electric pianos installed some way or another but it's just not the same. If I didn't have my piano I would not have an electric keyboard. I'm not great at the playing, it's more a venting/comfort thing. I've tried guitar a couple of times, too bad that didn't work out.

As far as environment, I've come to the conclusion that having it in the bus won't be any different on it's well being than the few times I've had to store it in non-climate controlled storages for long periods of time, or moving it from Oregon to AZ to OR to AZ a couple of times. Then there is the tie down aspect of it all.

Besides, it would be kinda quirky and acoustic to have a piano in the bus in the woods. Would 'fit my style'.

I think I have to make it work.
Definitely put your piano in the bus. I built the inside of my bus to accommodate my instruments, amplifier, and recording studio. I have done recordings of myself and two friends. We used microphones. We got excellent results. I think that the curved ceiling greatly helps with the acoustics of the room.

I would fasten some 2X4s to the floor which you could "set" the piano into. Also you might somehow fasten the back of the piano to a wall with strong brackets. Just a couple of ideas.

There are many clever people on this forum. Perhaps someone can come up with a real good idea to secure your piano.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #88

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Before painting, I like to use ammonia, either straight or diluted with water, then after the surface has dried, a wipe-down with Clorox bleach, either straight or diluted with water. Then, when dry, I paint.

Be careful with those two chemicals.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicc...nd-Ammonia.htm

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #89
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:

Be careful with those two chemicals.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicc...nd-Ammonia.htm
yes, Chloramine gas is not pleasant.
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #90
Skoolie

Hey nanny staters(just kidding), read again slowly my post. OK?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #91

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Not everyone is as smart as you, like my ex-GF. If the potential for harm is there, a warning doesn't hurt. I read what you wrote. Personally, the smell of bleach makes me ill.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #92
Skoolie

Yeah, CC you're probably right. Perhaps trisodium phosphate might be better. They sell it at Lowes.

What interests us is at time 2:40.

Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #93
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
To date I have a little bit around the still existing benches to get up. I tried unbolting the seats but the bolts just spin, I need to find someone to put under the bus to hold the other end (as I don't have a saw)...
If you have trouble finding an assistant soon enough, you could use vice grips underneath perhaps with an extension pipe so when it spins it eventually hits a frame rail...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #94
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
To date I have a little bit around the still existing benches to get up. I tried unbolting the seats but the bolts just spin, I need to find someone to put under the bus to hold the other end (as I don't have a saw)...
If you have trouble finding an assistant soon enough, you could use vice grips underneath perhaps with an extension pipe so when it spins it eventually hits a frame rail...
That would have been my next plan, thank you for the idea. Matter of fact I don't have a pair of vice grips and I should get one. My lack of tools due to having a teenage boy in the house who has now left the nest, time for mommy to restock.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #95
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

You need this!!
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-7.../dp/B000077CPU

Also, I saw your reply to my comment concerning batteries. Just to bounce off of that, you are going to see SO MANY different ways of doing things. Some of them are ideas for now, some later. I started to go crazy, admiring all the complex setups and wanting them. For now, keep it simple. You can always expand later. That is why I am doing what I proposed as my setup, it's simple

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Again, I'd need electric. I have found that there is an outlet that I can use but it's still a good distance from the bus, so not sure if I can find a long enough extension cord. And they are going to 'charge me' for the electric I use. It's sort of a sense of accomplishment for what I can get done without electric. Electricity has made our lives much more time friendly for sure.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #97
Bus Nut

Where I used to live we had swap meets all over the place. I need to find a good swap meet. Everything is 90 miles away.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:
Not everyone is as smart as you, like my ex-GF. If the potential for harm is there, a warning doesn't hurt. I read what you wrote. Personally, the smell of bleach makes me ill.
I think that my family has reactions to bleach as well so I try to not use it even in laundry. There are so many products and chemicals on the shelf, I've been re-reading the can every time I use them because I don't remember what I read on what can. Yikes. Basically I suppose to paint you need to remove any of the sooty grease/oil from the metal.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #99
Bus Nut

Macho & Me

A guy at work told me that he could check out a salvage yard for me for stuff. We were discussing what I want to do. He actually told me that I couldn't use a saw and that I needed to find premade cabinets from a wreck or something.

Oh no no no... you do not tell ME that I cannot do...

It might not be real pretty but... I WILL DO.

There.. now I feel better.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #100
Bus Geek

You go!
Piss on the haters
Please be careful tho
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote