Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #141
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus
Re: Transmogrifie and Me

Without a doubt the water goes through the process of transmogrification.
Now don't get me to lying. I thought that myself, "then where does the water go?" Up?

mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #142
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Without a doubt the water goes through the process of transmogrification.
Now don't get me to lying. I thought that myself, "then where does the water go?" Up?
Transmogrification can do a lot of things with a little.. *g*
Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #143
Bus Nut

oooh.. I graduated... to Skoolie!!!! Wow.. *does a little dance* (just cuz I gab a lot) but then damn my body hurts for it too..
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #144
Bus Nut

Think my phone takes pretty good pictures. (camera is out of batteries.)

It seems that the center of the floor between the back wheel wells is made out of completely different steel material. The rest of the bus seems to be aluminum or galvanized steel with no rust at all. This center section the stripper stuff didn't even touch the paint and there are a lot of rust spots in this section.

Note: Floor is slippery when just plain metal. Used Stipper and sanded and scraped and scraped and still some glue didn't come up. Hope the paint will still paint over it, would be a fluke if not since nothing else seemed to touch it .
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #145
Skoolie

Anyway, this is what I have found to be the best metal floor surface rust removal/inhibitor/converter anywhere for the price/value. You can then paint right over it when it dries.

For 16$ you can treat your whole bus floor.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... NfWyq5hDiQ

"Rust removal
Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #146
Bus Nut

Quote:
Anyway, this is what I have found to be the best metal floor surface rust removal/inhibitor/converter anywhere for the price/value. You can then paint right over it when it dries.

For 16$ you can treat your whole bus floor.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... NfWyq5hDiQ
Ew.. the MSDS itself is scary. No thanks. The stripper did a number on my sinuses because I wasn't careful enough.

Quote:
"Rust removal
Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid
I got some rust converter and tested it. That's the dark spot, turned the orange of rust to black, says you can paint over it. Now I'm wondering if rustoleum paint will stick to the shiny metal.

I'll check into the first suggestion more carefully though, nice to just paint something on that I can paint over.

Got caulking to re-caulk the edges around the floor and wheel wells. Need to clean them up a bit more as well.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #147
Skoolie

Shoot, if you can breath stripper fumes the phosphoric acid smell is like channel#5. I love the smell of acid fumes and caustic fumes, as well as the enticing smell of anhydrous ammonia. I shy away from solvent fumes otherwise I head to the chalkboard and start rapidly solving the more complex differential equations.

If it were me, I would treat the metal before you caulk it.

On analyzing your floor though, I don't even see any real rust. You can probably get by with just painting it.

Ahhhh.. enamel fumes.

You do know we breath 80% nitrogen and all the trace room temperature elemental and molecular gases every breath we take including radioactive nuclei.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #148
Bus Nut

And you probably like magic markers too.. *wink* I went to the Dr because my sinuses and ears hurt, I think from the (poisonous because I didn't want flammable) stripper partly and partly from all the people suddenly burning juniper wood the Dr said. But I'm OK.

Do you think I will have a problem with the paint sticking to the shiny metal? I don't know.. My friend, when I told him about the fumes, said he had a box fan I can use. Might be best to use what you said. *thinking outloud* put box fan at drivers seat and work from the back to the front as bottle said to keep downwind of the fumes. Should be OK.

Maybe get some of these.. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... NjOlIHzYwQ although not sure with fumes, says TB and virus protection as well as particulates. I can't stand having something on my face though.. grah. Ok.. stop talking now.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #149
Bus Nut

Hope all the Skoolies out there are keeping warm tonight. Still a couple months before I'll actually be in mine. Does it sound strange that I can't wait to freeze? Just read the pamplet that came with my heater 'do not sleep with heater on'. *blink*

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, or whatever your flavor. Keep warm. Keep safe.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #150
Skoolie

If you have sensitive lungs and what not maybe you can trade cookies to the man with the box fan and make him paint it or (kiddingly) make the father in law do it. I don't care if he's ninety.
If I were there I would do it for you.
It shouldn't take more than 15 to 30 minutes or so with a plain old paint roller on a broom stick.
Other than that open the windows and paint real fast.
Don't paint if it's too cold outside. Oh forget that, just paint it. Be sure to get your paint can shaken.
The link to the mask showed a review of 1 star.
Lorna works at H.D., she could recommend a mask suitable for you.
Interestingly enough, I burn cedar(actually juniper) when I am low on oak. It messes up my head too(tannic acid,soot and ash, that dang carbon again mixed with calcites), but I get used to it.
Also I am not superman so some smells do repulse me. For instance; latex paint fumes. Though I do love the smell of a newly laid vinyl floor. Also some carbon/nitrogen smells bother me like garbage dumps, outhouses and black water tanks.
But, who doesn't love the smell of a felt marker or a dry erase marker? That's what keeps teachers going and makes the kids want to write their equations on the grease board. I love being alive and smelling the smells. Like a blood hound that sticks his nose up in the air and smells around. It's one of the five senses and the first of the 12 cranial nerves (olfactory nerve).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_nerve
Put rustoleum primer down first if you are worried about peeling. I being cheap would just lay down enamel especially if I treated it prior to the undertaking.
Merry Christmas to you and all you hold dear. Here is a yodeling Christmas song for you.

Hopefully you already listened to it.
and...
Sigrid & Marina

P.S. I think you had a good upbringing. Peace.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #151
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoll
... Just read the pamplet that came with my heater 'do not sleep with heater on'. *blink*...
Hmmmm... is that a propane or electric heater? Well, whichever, I think we all know we need a heater running through the night if we don't want to freeze. I run an electric heater and it does dry out the air pretty bad but whatever other risks there may be, I'm taking those risks rather than freezing my ass off! Maybe I'll add a vaporizer to create some moisture in addition to heat.

Edit: I'm currently running two small electric space heaters on low and a vaporizer. The temperature outside is 30 degrees with high winds. Inside bus temperature is 70 degrees. The bus power system is being fed by two 20A circuits from my house. No complaints here!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #152
Bus Nut

Funny... the person who offered the box fan has offered tools, (hacksaw, sander, extension cords, skill saw and now box fan), but hasn't once offered to help with the actual work.

I am sort of jazzed that I can do it myself. My dad in heaven is smiling I'm sure. (about the work part, not the bus part he was too practical for that.)

I scored about $125 in HOme Depot gift cards for Christmas presents from friends. and a $50 miscellaneous Visa card and a promised trip to Ikea. I think my friends at least support me.

I had a good day .. even though my biological family is all out of reach.

Mighty bus.. thank you.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #153
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
... Just read the pamplet that came with my heater 'do not sleep with heater on'. *blink*...
Hmmmm... is that a propane or electric heater? Well, whichever, I think we all know we need a heater running through the night if we don't want to freeze. I run an electric heater and it does dry out the air pretty bad but whatever other risks there may be, I'm taking those risks rather than freezing my ass off! Maybe I'll add a vaporizer to create some moisture in addition to heat.
Propane, and yes, my firefighter chief friend said that they have to put that warning to cover their own rear ends if my house burns down or something.. and he gave me a battery carbon monoxide detector in my stocking.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #154
Bus Nut

Spoke again today with my flooring consultant and he said he has 'green' carpet. Emerald. I wanted green so I hope it's something I can use. He said he used to install headliners and carpet in vans and busses back in the 70's when everyone had vans. He's jazzed to get to help me again. Although he does flooring for his business so I'll have to pay him but still, discount and help.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #155
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Propane heater?

Please post a pic.

I have been using propane catalytic heaters for over thirty years. The ones I have are called "safety heaters" because if the pad stops making heat, the thermocouple (bourdon tube) shuts the gas supply off.

I did have some camping heaters that were propane catalytic that had a warning to not use while sleeping. That was because they had no shutoff device. You can see them in this picture.

The big advantage of my propane heaters is that even if the electricity is down, I still have heat.

Here is a short dissertation on the origins of the propane catalytic heater. It is from my thread titled Best Home Yet.

Well, let's talk about them heaters for a bit, shall we?

Propane catalytic heaters are made up of a fibrous pad that is platinum strands. It looks similar to a steel wood pad.

Now, somehow magically, when the platinum fiber strands mix with a fuel source (propane) and oxygen, it produces a "glow heat".

The heaters are 97% fuel efficient and they do not have to be vented. You must, however allow for some oxygen intake from one of your windows.

The reason that they are 97% fuel efficient is because the fuel never combusts. In all combustion systems, whether it be automobiles or heating systems, there will be a carbon monoxide output.

On regular furnace type heating units, 30% of the heat value goes up the chimney (or, vent in the case of motorhomes). Those are the carbon monoxide exhausts from the combustion process.

With propane catalytic heaters, the only exhaust is carbon DIOXIDE, which is what we humans exhale, and water vapor.

Carbon dioxide is a non poisonous gas. When someone tells you to talk to your plants, it is because all plants strive on the breath you exhale while talking to them. The water vapor is also welcomed by the plants.

You may turn on many types of heaters in your abode, and you may notice how long it takes to warm the place up. That time frame is different with each type of heating mechanism.

I had a wood stove in my 64 International. I was living in Connecticut and doing carpentry. When I got home from work on a cold winter's day and the wood stove had died perhaps around noon that day, my bus was almost refridgerator temperature.

So I would load it up and keep my winter clothes on for an hour watching the flame and anticipating when it would be warm enough to play guitar. An hour later, I could remove some of my garb, but it was not for another hour that it would be warm enough to move my fingers on the guitar.

I love wood stoves, but for them to be a primary source of heat, they need a tender.

The great thing about a propane catalytic heater is that it is a radiant heater. It heats the mass of objects as opposed to heating the air. So start it up, sit in front of it, and instantaneously, it is like you are sitting in front of a fireplace. Those heat rays seek you out.

These types of heaters were developed in 1929 by the French. They wanted to develop a heater that they could use while working around airplane engines. It needed to safe as to not ignite the engine fuel.

Being that the catalytic action works at a significantly lower temperature, there is not enough temperature to ignite a combustion.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #156
Bus Nut

WOW.. thank you Accordian, I feel a lot better now. Although mine is a portable Big Buddy Mr Heater with a propane tank for now. And I do intend to have plants share my living space. We should get along perfectly. And as far as working all day and then coming home and being able to get warm fast, sounds wonderful. It has an oxygen depletion shut off. Does a carbon monoxide detector detect carbon dioxide? I would think.

Don't have a pic of mine set up but it's this heater http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...DL._AA300_.jpg .
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #157
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
... And I do intend to have plants share my living space...
Just not any African Violets, they do not like any propane.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #158
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
... And I do intend to have plants share my living space...
Just not any African Violets, they do not like any propane.
My grandpa and my mom grew wonderful African violets and I've never been able to. My mom's got really big and long stems, my grandpas were cute little tight plants. I like greenery more than flowery plants.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #159
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I've got a temperamental lime tree. Turns out if you water a lime tree, it drops it's leaves. If you don't water a lime tree, it drops it's leaves. If it gets too hot, it drops it's leaves. If it gets too cold, it drops it's leaves. If it gets too much wind, it drops it's leaves.

I have solved the water problem with those water absorbing beads but other than that... it drops it's leaves. I've decided to not have any more plants until we are better insulated & a lot less construction is going on in here (I don't think it likes loud power tools). So maybe by spring I will get back into having plants. I do plan on getting some strawberry plants again since they did well until they froze last winter. And I think I will do a couple little tater tubs of the yukon gold and little red taters. Add a grape tomato and some leaf lettuce. Mostly a few container veggies.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #160
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
(I don't think it likes loud power tools).
*lol*

I am going to have to find a safe place for my cat, he hates screechy metallic noises.
Quote:
I do plan on getting some strawberry plants again since they did well until they froze last winter. And I think I will do a couple little tater tubs of the yukon gold and little red taters. Add a grape tomato and some leaf lettuce. Mostly a few container veggies.
That sounds wonderful. If you (or I) pack up to move, just bundle them inside until you park again. How fun is that.