Old 11-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: C-60
Engine: 350 chevy
Rated Cap: 65 passengers
Turning the heat up!

Hello fellow Skoolies. I am at the point of installing a hot water heater in my bus. I have been told by some that its best to stay away from a on- demand water heater since little is known about them. Does any one have information on instant vs. tank heaters? Operation cost. Etc.
Thanks much for your assistance.
itchy feet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I would never install a on demand heater. Way too many specific to that unit parts.

Regular tank heaters use parts that can be bought anywhere.

Also the cost is not comparable.

Then comes maintenance of the unit.

IMO they are piles of crap that should only be used as a last resort if space for a tank just can't be found.

I posted a bunch of links on why to avoid on demand water heaters here somewhere. Maybe here?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/hy...-bus-9024.html

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
Bus Nut

The real question is do you want to boondocks or campgrounds?
Many of the tankless heaters need 2-3gpm and that will blast through your water supply in no time. That said my park ranger friend has one in her rig and when we spent a week with her it was fine, wasted a bunch of water but worked fine.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
To further the discussion

Old 11-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That's pretty funny.

My oldest child had a very short shower the other day. When asked how it was possible to have washed her hair in such short time, she indicated that she didn't wash it because the water was freezing cold. Her younger brother had used all the hot water, she alleged..

We've had a tankless water heater in the house for 7 years. That's almost her entire life. I have no idea where she learned that "used up all the hot water" is even a thing! Maybe at grandma's house.

It turns out she had the single-handle valve operation confused and had turned it to full cold!

I think Tankless LP Water Heater may be the thread nat_ster was searching for. His list of pros and cons is in this post.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Thx for pointing him in the right direction.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Yeah FWIW I've had an electric tankless at my home for ~5 years now and like it more or less. Takes 15 seconds to get DHW to the fixtures near it and 30 secs for the 2nd floor. But, no kids in the house and it saves a documented $20/month on the electric.

Having lived with one, I can see how they'd be a bad idea in a bus. They are iffy at low flow rates and you blow through however much you have in the lines every time you turn it on.
dan-fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
Bus Nut

There are many types of water heaters

When using a standard rv heater, most water is used while allowing the hot water to be pumped to were ever the hot water is to be used. A good idea is to
install a push button switch that controls a solenoid valve that routes the cold water back to the holding tank. When the hot water is available, the valve is closed. Heat exchange heaters are good while the engine is running or use of hot water when arriving at a stop. Electric 120vac is ok when stopped by using shore power or the gen set. Not to be forgotten is some black tubing on roof with a good pump.. This method works great while parked for a stay..
Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I use a propane tankless water heater with the factory recommended water pump thereby meeting the flow and pressure requirements of the tankless heater. I avoid all lost water by utilizing a recirculating circuit as Frank mentioned. Good quality tankless water heaters can be had for a fraction of the cost of a conventional water heater, they require little to no maintenance and they utilize almost no space for installation. As to cost of operation, it seems intuitive that it would be less expensive to heat water only when needed as opposed to keeping water hot all the time. I can't speak quantatively as to which is more efficient but speaking from experience, I'm not filling similar sized propane tanks as often with the tankless heater as I did with the conventional heater. I speak from a position of experience as a person who has actually operated both systems in a RV environment and I encourage others with similar RV experiences to speak up. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: C-60
Engine: 350 chevy
Rated Cap: 65 passengers
Hi folks Thanks so much for you posts regarding hot water tanks ..It really seems like going with a tank is a safer way to go. I just spoke with a trailer repair person and was told that he was constantly removing tankless types and replacing them with tanks. He did mention that Atwood just came out with a much improved version of the tankless type. Unfortunately he didn't have any info on that model. Thanks again for all the good information.

thre
itchy feet is online now   Reply With Quote