Well... after a seemingly never-ending setback from working on the bus, we are back at it again. As stated earlier, we diagnosed our no-start, but the bus doesn't go into the shop to get the injection pump rebuilt til next Monday. So, we took the downtime to get some work done on the subfloor during the weekend. I will continue working throughout the week this week.
One night, we were coming home and decided to do a bit of dumpster diving. I found a Schwinn Road Bike at the curb a couple weeks ago that needed tires, so we stopped at the local bike shop to check their dumpster. I found tires
... but what we found in the dumpster next to it was quite the score!
We didn't realize that we were next to an upscale interior design showroom. We found their dumpster full of flooring that they removed. It was laminate, which we weren't planning on using, but it survived a test trying to scratch it with a key and we have had a panel out in the horrendous rain storms we have been experiencing the last few days to test. It still looks great. The flooring has a great appearance. We aren't fully decided. Our car was filled at about 250 square ft. worth of flooring. Should be plenty for the bus even if a few pieces are messed up!
We spent the majority of this weekend gathering materials and supplies to do the subfloor, as well as planning it out. Today, we actually cut some wood on the table saw in the morning and this afternoon, we installed our first bit of new materials in the bus!!!
It felt like a pretty major milestone. Between cutting and prep work, we didn't get a whole lot actually installed, but I will be back at it tomorrow.
Getting started at the bus after cutting everything on the table saw at my partner's father's woodshop.
I countersunk all the holes where the screws would soon be used to attach the wood support strips to the floor. Inside, I used self-tapping screws and liquid nails to attach them to the floor. The piece with all the holes in it was a scrap piece where I was testing different methods of countersinking. I have never countersunk anything before today.
Doesn't look like much, but by the end of the night, we had attached quite a few strips to the floor. Tomorrow, I will continue with these, the insulation, etc.
We are using 3/4" sheets of plywood cut into the strips, as well as 3/4" plywood for the top layer. Insulation is 3/4" extruded foam board. We debated for a long time. My original plan was only to use the thin 1/4" stuff. But, we decided it was best to put a bit more insulation. We debated going up to an inch. We chose the 3/4" to "meet in the middle" as well as with the ease of use for making matching support strips in the floor.
More pics to come!