Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: *Two Birds* - 1992 Bluebird TC2000

Guys,

It has been my experience that anything to do with the fuel injection distributor pump is best left to trained professionals due to such tight tolerances with the pump. Any contaminants get into the pump system, no matter how small, will throw off the tolerances and render the pump useless. I learned that the hard way for $2K back in 1999..... Just a voice of experience talking......... Take it for what you wish.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #72
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
Guys,

It has been my experience that anything to do with the fuel injection distributor pump is best left to trained professionals due to such tight tolerances with the pump. Any contaminants get into the pump system, no matter how small, will throw off the tolerances and render the pump useless. I learned that the hard way for $2K back in 1999..... Just a voice of experience talking......... Take it for what you wish.
Thanks. This is advice I am looking for. I am 99% sure we are in for a rebuild. I will be calling the local shop after the holiday weekend. I'm still listening to people's thoughts and experience though!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

I've had about 10 different pumps rebuilt. Depending upon the pump the rebuild is anywhere from $350 for a 6.2L Chevy to $1200 for a Continental multifuel military truck to $2500 for a 550 Cat semi truck. Mind you these are prices from the mid 1990s thru 2009.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #74
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
I've had about 10 different pumps rebuilt. Depending upon the pump the rebuild is anywhere from $350 for a 6.2L Chevy to $1200 for a Continental multifuel military truck to $2500 for a 550 Cat semi truck. Mind you these are prices from the mid 1990s thru 2009.
Thanks!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

And...roger correcting the KDP issue --- Heard too many horror stories about that rascal dropping into the gears and taking out the whole timing cover/gear set. Easy to do either of two ways. Simplest is just to take a small punch and peen the edge over the hole a bit and it cannot back out. That's what I did on my 4BT. The other is to make a small metal tab that screws into the otherwise empty screw hole next to it. The peening is effective and does not add anything else that could potentially come loose and get into trouble.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #76
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
And...roger correcting the KDP issue --- Heard too many horror stories about that rascal dropping into the gears and taking out the whole timing cover/gear set. Easy to do either of two ways. Simplest is just to take a small punch and peen the edge over the hole a bit and it cannot back out. That's what I did on my 4BT. The other is to make a small metal tab that screws into the otherwise empty screw hole next to it. The peening is effective and does not add anything else that could potentially come loose and get into trouble.
It's interesting, because I don't see it discussed often on here. It's not easy to get to, but well worth the effort I imagine.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #77
Skoolie

Well... after a seemingly never-ending setback from working on the bus, we are back at it again. As stated earlier, we diagnosed our no-start, but the bus doesn't go into the shop to get the injection pump rebuilt til next Monday. So, we took the downtime to get some work done on the subfloor during the weekend. I will continue working throughout the week this week.

One night, we were coming home and decided to do a bit of dumpster diving. I found a Schwinn Road Bike at the curb a couple weeks ago that needed tires, so we stopped at the local bike shop to check their dumpster. I found tires ... but what we found in the dumpster next to it was quite the score! We didn't realize that we were next to an upscale interior design showroom. We found their dumpster full of flooring that they removed. It was laminate, which we weren't planning on using, but it survived a test trying to scratch it with a key and we have had a panel out in the horrendous rain storms we have been experiencing the last few days to test. It still looks great. The flooring has a great appearance. We aren't fully decided. Our car was filled at about 250 square ft. worth of flooring. Should be plenty for the bus even if a few pieces are messed up!

We spent the majority of this weekend gathering materials and supplies to do the subfloor, as well as planning it out. Today, we actually cut some wood on the table saw in the morning and this afternoon, we installed our first bit of new materials in the bus!!! It felt like a pretty major milestone. Between cutting and prep work, we didn't get a whole lot actually installed, but I will be back at it tomorrow.

Getting started at the bus after cutting everything on the table saw at my partner's father's woodshop.

I countersunk all the holes where the screws would soon be used to attach the wood support strips to the floor. Inside, I used self-tapping screws and liquid nails to attach them to the floor. The piece with all the holes in it was a scrap piece where I was testing different methods of countersinking. I have never countersunk anything before today.

Doesn't look like much, but by the end of the night, we had attached quite a few strips to the floor. Tomorrow, I will continue with these, the insulation, etc.

We are using 3/4" sheets of plywood cut into the strips, as well as 3/4" plywood for the top layer. Insulation is 3/4" extruded foam board. We debated for a long time. My original plan was only to use the thin 1/4" stuff. But, we decided it was best to put a bit more insulation. We debated going up to an inch. We chose the 3/4" to "meet in the middle" as well as with the ease of use for making matching support strips in the floor.

More pics to come!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #78
Site Team

Nice score on the flooring. Any update on the IP?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #79
Skoolie

I have some updates of work on the floor but don't have time to post it all tonight. We are about 50% done with the subfloor insulation and plywood sheeting.

News on the injection pump:

The bus is currently in the shop and the pump is being rebuilt tomorrow. On Friday, the local Bosch shop discovered the cause of the locked up fuel rack. At some point when we were running the bus, a small metal shard worked its way loose from the metal tubing that was cut improperly (yes... it was our fault ). The bad cut was on the clean side of the fuel filter (after the filter) and it went into the injection pump and scored one of the plungers in the Injection pump very badly. This caused the plunger to get stuck and subsequently, the fuel rack too. With the fuel rack hung up, the delivery valves were not opening and no fuel was getting through the lines to the injectors. Total cost... just over $2000 It really sucks... especially because it was, in essence, a mistake in the conversion process. A hard lesson learned but if I want to look at it optimistically, I now have a VERY intimate knowledge of the entire fuel system and feel that I could diagnose and repair any fuel related issue short of rebuilding the injection pump. This is good knowledge to have for a touring bus running on veggie oil. The pump will be in the bus by the end of the week (it has to go back to a different shop that pulled the pump) and then, after it is running good, it will go to yet another shop to repair the rear hub seal leak and replace the bearings. We will pick it up next week when we get home from a music festival that I am playing at. We are happy to be moving forward, but have our heads hanging a little low this week

Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Congratulations on your graduation from the school of hard knocks!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote