Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #181
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: TygerCub's Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
just got done watching all your video's and I have to say well done.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad someone's getting something out of them. They're fun to do. What started out as an experimental way to show my Grandmother what I've been up to, turned into a fun hobby. Unfortunately, since the mechanical problem, I've not kept it up - though I probably should have since it's a problem other skoolies can relate to. I'll try to remember the camera more often when I start to run the bus again.

Looking forward to your photos and bus blog! It's always fun to see how others are progressing on their vehicles.

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #182
Bus Nut

BOB's at the shop! Finally!!!

Mom drove me to the storage yard and provided the extra "umph" to the batteries with a jump. With that little bit of extra "go juice", the bus started right up and we were off! I got to the shop, they wrote up a ticket, and now I just have to wait for a repair estimate.

Couple of things that worry me... The guy said it looked like the bus had spent some serious time near the water as was evident by the amount of corrosion on the frame and engine. I knew it was corroded, but he made it sound terrible . He also said as long as there wasn't any fluid on the ground (so far there isn't ) and the bus doesn't smoke (it does... horribly ), that it should be "pretty solid". What does a smokey engine indicate?

To be honest, I've already had thoughts of selling BOB to get a bus type I really prefer (Bluebird FE 28-34 passenger short bus to pull a trailer). I'm just waiting to hear what the damage to my bank account will be to get all the repairs done that are necessary. Driving to the shop was a thrill! But I think that was just the fact it was running again more than anything else. Lord knows I don't really need to be spending this money so close to Christmas. (Merry Christmas to me?) But the sooner I can get BOB running, the sooner I can either sell him and buy something that I really want, or start working on the interior, and make use of what I own.

Argh! I can't make up my mind!!!!

Just like a woman!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #183
Bus Nut

...Silly Questions...

Do you love him?
Do you think he is worth the effort?
When you think of the future, is he in it?

...only half way through the first cup of coffee. ^.^?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #184
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I just hope BOB never reads your post, he would be deeply hurt.
That's what happens with rebound relationships. A girl gets dumped and reaches for the first bit of comfort she can find... alas, for the rebound guy, it never works out.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #185
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I just hope BOB never reads your post, he would be deeply hurt.
That's what happens with rebound relationships. A girl gets dumped and reaches for the first bit of comfort she can find... alas, for the rebound guy, it never works out.
Ahh, but he might just have some fun times to remember afterwards...
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #186
Bus Nut

Got a few more photos and a video on YouTube (see link in the signature).

This is the hydraulic sensor that was broken when I bought the bus. It didn't affect the ability to drive it, but did make it damned annoying as the alarm would occasionally start to sound - then cut off - then cut back on again for no apparent reason.

How we got BOB running. Tommy left a wire attached to the fuel injection pump that had to be clipped directly to the ignition switch to get power to it. That was okay to get it started, but was a little disconcerting to have to open the hood while the bus was still running to get it to shut down.

Just a shot on the way to the shop. Someone requested a video of the bus running, so that's in the YouTube segment.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #187
Bus Nut

OMG! OKAY, NOW I KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO TO BOB...

Seriously, if anyone wants to see some really whacked out bus turned pirate ship/giant foot/giraffe/victorian house/space ship/etc... check out some websites of Burningman.

WOW
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #188
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

You mean do to "Barb"!?!

Oh!...wait a minute...you meant add a second story, didn't you...?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #189
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

OMG my daughter is in love and wants us to paint our bus pink and add a sundeck now. CURSE YOUR PICTURES!!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #190
Bus Crazy

I can't decide if the gentleman in crimson is a pimp, or the doorman/spirit guide to an alternate universe.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #191
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

Now that our bus is underway we are entertaining the idea of going to Burningman next fall, should be quite the experience...
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #192
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
He also said as long as there wasn't any fluid on the ground (so far there isn't ) and the bus doesn't smoke (it does... horribly ), that it should be "pretty solid". What does a smokey engine indicate?
My (diesel) bus will smoke until it's up to operating temp. After that, no smoke unless starting from a dead stop, and even then it's just a puff.

Are you getting smoke all the time? If so, what color? Blue, black, and white are the choices and each has a different source.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #193
Bus Nut

I would say that the guy is the Doorman. My reasons are his Hat and Shoes.

1) He's wearing Joggers. They are pretty comfy for standing around all day. Pimps who dress like that tend to wear WingTips (Black and Whites?) or the standard Dress Shoe (easy to shine and hide scuffs on).
2) His hat doesn't match his suit, and its not purple with that silly long feather. Either one would have made me say pimp.

Maybe he's a Zoot'er... wouldnt that require him to unbutton his shirt and get some gold necklaces? Or is that just Zoot'ng 70's Style?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #194
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
I can't decide if the gentleman in crimson is a pimp, or the doorman/spirit guide to an alternate universe.
I think it's a little of both, since the guy's burn name is "Lucifer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Are you getting smoke all the time? If so, what color? Blue, black, and white are the choices and each has a different source.
I couldn't see the smoke while driving, but my poor mother who followed me to the shop said it was grey... so I guess that would classify as "white". When the bus first starts, it smokes grey/white for the first minute or so, then settles down. But the fumes will definitely knock you over! NO ONE tailgates me while I'm driving down the road.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #195
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
I couldn't see the smoke while driving, but my poor mother who followed me to the shop said it was grey... so I guess that would classify as "white". When the bus first starts, it smokes grey/white for the first minute or so, then settles down. But the fumes will definitely knock you over! NO ONE tailgates me while I'm driving down the road.
Hmmm...if the grey/white smoke has a sweet/syrupy smell to it, it may be coolant-related. Which would be bad.

There is a period of time when the exhaust system is still cool while the engine is relatively warm, and the exhaust gases are cooled enough by the exhaust system so that the moisture in the exhaust gases turns to water droplets and it looks like smoke. This is obviously more noticeable in the winter months, and with 20' of exhaust system on a bus, it can take a while/several miles to bring the system up to temp.

If you are seeing grey/white smoke when the bus is fully warmed up, running at operating temp & cruising down the road, then there could be issues. But it will be interesting to see what the garage says.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #196
Bus Nut

FINALLY got a call from the truck center. They did a great job giving me a very comprehensive list of things that needed to be done to the bus. The things I'll definitely have done include getting a state inspection, adjusting the fuel injection pump timing, and fixing the break pressure differential switch. Beyond that... everything else will have to wait until I get this year's taxes back .

Reading their notes on the quote sheets, it appears the reason the bus is hard to start and is smoking was because:
1. fuel was being injected into the cylinders, so they recommened adjusting the fuel injection pump timing,
2. the glow plug controller needs to be replaced
3. the starter motor needs to be removed and the mouting bolt's treads chased and new bolts and locktight installed.

I'm not sure what all is involved in fixing the starter motor problem. They want $100+ to pull it out and put new bolts on . Is that difficult to do? I'm not sure where the starting motor is located. Anyone have a photo of one in their bus so I know what to look for? I don't mind paying for a difficult job, but don't want to be taken to the cleaners for something I can do myself.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #197
Skoolie

So does this mean BOB will be sticking around?
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #198
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
So does this mean BOB will be sticking around?
Ya know... if you'd asked me that this afternoon when I got the invoice of work and the whopping price tag attached, I would have shouted a resounding NO FRACKIN' WAY!

However, after the initial shock wore off and I saw that almost exactly HALF of the cost was in labor, I am more likely to reconsider. All told, the bill came out to $3,800+ for repairs, which includes parts and labor. Granted, that is a complete list of repairs, not just work that needs to be done right this minute to make BOB road worthy. I can actually afford what needs to be done to get the bus running properly.

But in the long run it all comes down to pure economics. Is the initial cost of the bus, plus the $450 for the fuel pump, plus the $1,700 in parts, plus the additional $1,200 in tires (needed for any long distance driving), worth keeping the bus? Or, would it be more cost effective to cut my losses, count the $800 total (fuel injection pump + current repair bill) I need to pay to get it road worthy as my "lessons learned" and try to sell BOB with the hopes I'll at least recuperate my initial purchase price? I don't know. I've gone back and forth several times today with "Yes" and then "No" and then "Yes" again.

To look at it in a cold and calculating manner, the outlook doesn't look good for BOB sticking around.

Keep BOB and I'll end up spending $3,350 in material costs alone, plus have a continuous monthly bill for insurance and storage fees (which can add up to another $1,200 per year). And the 33k doesn't include any labor costs that I may have to pay for service Tommy & I can't manage ourselves.

Sell BOB and I'll have spent approximately $800 in repairs now, plus maybe lose another $500 if I can't get the original sale price out of him, but will save myself the $1,200 in insurance and storage.

Hmmm.

$4,500 to keep BOB, or $1,300 to sell BOB.

Pure economics say sell the bus. Stubborn pride says keep it and damn the bills.

If I wasn't so hard up for money right now, I'd tend to go with my pride and just keep living paycheck to paycheck. But since I'm on my own now and paying all the bills, I can't see spending money that would be better spent on groceries, heating bills and minor home improvement projects that might get a better price for the house.

Final Verdict - just arrived at while typing:
Once BOB's passed inspection, gotten tuned and had the repairs necessary to make him road worthy, he'll probably go on Craigslist, or e-bay.

I'll tackle this again once the house is sold and I've money in hand... PLUS have a sane head on my shoulders... and get precisely the bus I want, not just any bus that I grab in a moment of desperation.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #199
Skoolie

Well it will be sad to see BOB go, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Its better to put the money you saved from doing all the repairs, insurance, and storage into a type of bus you want as opposed to a type your not really happy with.
I ran into a similar situation last year, someone I knew was trying to get rid of a dog nose bus and offered it up to me for 500. it was probably worth at least 1500.00 so it was very tempting. but I declined because I knew I wouldn't be happy with a dog nose because I wanted a RE and prefer the look of the flat-nose buses better. So going on 14 months later I am still without a bus waiting patiently for the right RE at the right price to show up. maybe one of these days.

I wish you the best of luck on getting out, what you put into BOB. Hopefully he will find a nice home with a big yard where he will have room to run.
Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #200
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

Sad day...
Be sure to post the sale... I wish you were close I might give some free labor to help fix your BOB. I hope it all turns out ok or some majik money shows up, maybe some elves will come in the middle of the nigh... No that's only in book's and after you have had too much...