Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #201
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: TygerCub's Project

Where do you hail from Tyger, maybe there's a bone that can be thrown your way. There are a lot of good people in this world and I might know one near by you... This site is full of good people you never know what someone might have hanging around...

Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #202
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

I'm in the Newport News area of VA. Thanks for the offers of help, guys. It's greatly appreciated. But I need money more than the bus right now. At least until I get out from under this mortgage. If my ex was still around, this would be a cinch and I'd be well into building the interior of BOB. But since I'm the only one paying for the house now, almost everything goes to meeting the bills. Being the holidays just makes matters worse.

So, if the house sells, I'll rent an apartment (for half my current mortgage payment!!!), and have enough to start over again. Right now, though, that extra $100+ per month will make the difference between a cold winter and actually being able to turn the heat up above 58F.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #203
Bus Nut

I hate to say this, but have you considered option 3? Option 3 would be to put no more money into repairs, get it cranked up, and drive it straight to a scrap yard to get as much raw cash out of it as you can.

If you do go this route, remember to retrieve your tags so you can turn them in and get your prorate tag fee back from the state. Forgetting to turn your tags in results in a whole lot of hassle nobody wants.

Sorry to hear that BOB isn't the right bus for you. I hope you can get as much back out as you can, and then get the bus that is perfect for you.

Good luck,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #204
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Tough decision to have to make. Best of luck with the next steps.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #205
Bus Nut

Well, I may not keep BOB, but I'm still collecting stuff for my full-time skoolie!

Today, I found this stainless steel bowl at Target that I want to use as my kitchen sink.

This should be plenty deep enough to wash my dishes, veggies & the occasional pair of socks. Although this has a lip on it that would rest nicely on the surface of a countertop, I hope to mount it underneath instead. I hate it when water pools right at the lip of a sink. If done right, it should be just fine and I'll even be able to put a little "plug" into it to increase the counter space when it's not in use.

Manufacturers have made bathroom sinks flush with countertops forever... why are kitchen sinks just recently starting to follow that trend? It's irksome.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #206
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
How will you deal with the raw-edge inside the cut-out for your sink if you under-mount the bowl ?
The raw edge will depend on the final counter top material.
  • If I use the 18" tile like I'd originally planned, then it's a simple matter of sealing the grout. Cutting a circle will be a bit tricky, but there are router bits that will work if I go slowly.[/*:m:hob2l8c7]
  • If I use butchers block, then the edge will simply be sealed like the rest of the wood.[/*:m:hob2l8c7]
  • I want to avoid the regular laminate countertop material, but if money is tight I may have to go with it. In that case, then I'm going to look into sealing the edge with an acrylic epoxy. That will seal the crap out of the underlying particle board and also help hold the bowl in place.[/*:m:hob2l8c7]
  • Lastly, if I get brave (and need to offset the weight of water tanks), I may try my hand at a thin (1/2" max) cement countertop. This would be poured in place and stained/sealed normally. My biggest issue with this type of countertop isn't the weight (1/2" isn't much heavier than tile), but rather the inflexibility. [/*:m:hob2l8c7]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Have you considered using a lavatory drain assy & pop-up (as opposed to a larger kitchen sink strainer), unless the latter will fit the flat bottom of the bowl, but the pop-up would make holding water in the sink easier.
I'm not sure. Could you post a picture? I don't know that I've seen one of those.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #207
Bus Nut

Sandwiching the bowl in wouldnt be that difficult and still have it replaceable.

Under the counter top, cut a 1 inch or so ring around the hole for the bowl no more than halfway through the material (router). Make a ring/collar that fits into this ring and has a hole in the middle for the bowl to sit in, bracing might be a good idea. Use small screws to fasten the collar into place under the counter top and hold the bowl in. If you need to remove the bowl, just take out the screws and the collar and bowl will just drop out.

I cant find a picture of what I am talking about... But I found a picture of the clip that normally holds an undersink in place...

The collar just takes the place of this clip.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #208
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Love the idea!
Most fry pans and what not are 9" across so that bowl should work. Keep in mind those bowls do dent, especially if stacking things like cast iron in them. And a great many are coated in something or another that will scratch, peel and chip eventually. Hard to find real, truly stainless steel bowls now days. I've a huge collection of them of all sizes
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #209
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Hey TC sorry about Bob- and all the junk attached to that. I know you'll get on the road soon- just keep that goal in mind. The great thing is you are going forward. I like the sink idea- I had that myself. We don't have a sink yet either. I know we are already living in the bus, need to get working on it- but you know food is kinda important too. I have and idea for the actual faucet I'd like to share with you. I don't know how your water storge plans worked out, I plan on a plastic drum. The addition of a hand operated lift pump.

The center one is attractive and pumps with both up and down- 3 gallons a minute.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #210
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t
Hey TC sorry about Bob- and all the junk attached to that. I know you'll get on the road soon- just keep that goal in mind. The great thing is you are going forward. I like the sink idea- I had that myself. We don't have a sink yet either. I know we are already living in the bus, need to get working on it- but you know food is kinda important too. I have and idea for the actual faucet I'd like to share with you. I don't know how your water storge plans worked out, I plan on a plastic drum. The addition of a hand operated lift pump.

The center one is attractive and pumps with both up and down- 3 gallons a minute.
DF, What brands are these pumps? I like the center pump....any links?
Thanks!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #211
Skoolie

http://www.bikudo.com/product_search...drum_pump.html

here's the link- not sure how to order. I was gonna go to a tractor supply or some place like that. Find a drum pump. Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #212
Bus Nut

Found this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Lever-Barrel-P...#ht_2630wt_685

$45 bucks ain't too bad ($25 for the pump & $20 to ship).

<edit>

OOH! And I REALLY like this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/55-Gallon-Drum-R...#ht_3001wt_685
Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #213
Skoolie

Keep in mind what its made out of. generally those are made for oil or fuel. water might not work that well with it and cause a big rust issue that will end up in your drinking water, sink, and holding tanks.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #214
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Smitty: Yes, I was my cast iron in the sink without soap.

Those pumps are a great idea. Lehman's has a variety of them as will most farm supply stores. Heck with an electric water pump, I'm going rustic!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #215
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
Keep in mind what its made out of. generally those are made for oil or fuel. water might not work that well with it and cause a big rust issue that will end up in your drinking water, sink, and holding tanks.
Hmmm... I'll have to do a little more research. But I do like the idea of a hand pump in the kitchen area because it will force me to be more conservative with water usage. I still plan to use a pump for the shower, though. I will have a garden hose attachment to regulate water flow
Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #216
Skoolie

That is something to consider- rust is bad... maybe i will go with plastic. Or find a stainless unit. Not to get all 2012 but I am thinking of sustainability, and durability. There is a simple equation to tell you if a machine will last in an application: Usage + moving parts= time to failure
Pretty much this holds true no matter what you are doing. I am thinking of the long haul, and not having to replace parts or find them. I went with hand operated toilet, simple 12v led lighting, and plan on a gravity feed shower. In addition to solar power and maybe a wind turbine, I want to have the ability to be self suffecient for a long time.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #217
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Hello!!!! Is Tiger Cub out THERE? Did you disappear???
Yep, I'm gonna be absent for a while. Dealing with Divorce. Not feeling particularly sociable. Sorry guys. I'll be back eventually. Just need space.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #218
Skoolie

Sorry to hear that. I've been there done that (twice ) so I know the feeling TC. Just try to take it easy and take your time.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #219
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Good luck with everything TC.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #220
Bus Nut

Thanks, everyone, for the support! I appreciate everyone on this site and have learned a great deal from some really terrific people.

Unfortunately, BOB's for sale. I just posted it on the local (Norfolk, VA) Craig's List. If no one bites by the 19th, I'll either take him to the junk yard for scrap metal, or donate him to a local charity to use as they see fit. I hate to do it, but money's getting super tight and I just can't afford the storage, tax, license and insurance fees any more.

Friday the 12th is the first court date for the divorce. Hopefully, everything will be quick and "easy".

I'll keep you guys posted on BOB's final resting place.