Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: TygerCub's Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
2. Lose the Crocs! The "bus gods" do require some blood to be sacrificed in our endeavors, but there's no sense in giving them toes. BFH's, grinders, rusty metal, etc., etc. and Crocs don't play well together.
Yeah, I'm flirting with danger, I know. But on days I can justify wearing just shorts instead of long pants, I go ahead and put on flimsy shoes too. The first time I used the grinder in them, I was reminded why metal splinters are much more insidious than wood . Last Saturday, I really didn't think I'd be doing too much heavy stuff, so the crocs were okay. Sunday, however, I knew I was going to grind, so wore long pants and work shoes. Glad I did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
It doesn't look "factory made"...Is your fuel tank mounted beneath it? It may be access to your fuel level sensor...?
The plate is, indeed, over the fuel tank. I'll have to pry it up today before I paint.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Well... TODAY, I left early to get to the RV storage place when they opened the gates. Leaving my car in my parking space, I took the bus up to Home Depot and bought some paint, a stiff-bristle scrub brush (with long handle), and some heavy-duty detergent. Yep, today is the day to paint the floor! Woo Hoo!

All along the drive home I was a little apprehensive because the street leading to my house is narrow, curved in an awkward way, and usually has folks parked along it inconveniently. Luckily, no one was coming to visit that early in the morning and I made it to the house without wiping out anyone's vehicle. I DID, however, take off a couple branches of my tree out front. Oh well. Needed to trim it back anyway.

First thing I did was pull all the leftover trash out and throw it in my little trailer. That poor 4' x 7' thing is packed now! If the batteries hadn't died on my camera, I might have taken a picture to post. Anyway... the inside was swept, then I pulled a garden hose inside and power sprayed the dust out. But the bus wasn't tilted right, so I had to repark it.

Momma would have been proud! I was able to reverse a couple dozen feet, pull halfway into my yard across the street, then back the bus into the driveway... INCHES from the house! WooHoo! Mom said it was easy. She used to drive a fire truck, and could swing that sucker into the smallest places! Scared quite a few of the fellas in the department, let me tell ya! But she never wrecked once, and could back that thing into the fire house without slowing one bit. But it's one thing for someone to SAY it's easy. It's another thing entirely to do a thing on your own without help. Amazing sense of accomplishment I'm obviously feeling a little full of myself today. I'm sure BOB will straighten me out shortly.

So... the bus is parked next to my house for the weekend. It needed to be driven anyway since it's been sitting since June 23rd. I've started it periodically, but that's not the same as driving it.

Back on the subject

I was able to figure out how to wrangle those car chairs to the rear of the bus, pull them out, and drop them into a wheel barrel. From there I took them to the garage for storage. One more thing out of the way, Yay! I wet down the interior again, doused it with the industrial cleanser, scrubbed the hell out of it with the bristle brush, and hosed it all down again. Now I'm just waiting for it to dry before painting with the "rusty metal" primer.

All that before noon. Man... I need a nap!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #103
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
All that before noon. Man... I need a nap!
Amen Sista! I know what you mean, during our conversion I been just "wore slap out". Everyday I work on the bus the next day I am sore and tired. Plus we are packing the house as well...

Get us some pics- doing good.

Don't worry about the shoes- I hate shoes, unless I have to wear them I don't. I did all my work on our bus barefoot- one of the reasons I got the nickname. The wife is the one who gave it to me, one day when I was out shoveling snow in bare feet. She asked if I was like a duck(feet are bare but dont get cold) I said I gesss I was- soon after Duckfoot. I get cold- soon as the ears and hands get cold "done" I'm going inside.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #104
Bus Nut

Just a couple of pics from this weekend. I didn't get half as much done as I wanted. But that's the nature of working on skoolies... take any estimated time of completion and multiply it by three!

Picture of BOB at home.

Notice the tree... it HAD a couple of low-hanging branches. Afterward, it didn't have ANY low hanging branches.

The little trailer is getting pretty full! That thing is invaluable. It's also going to be expensive to dump. Our landfill charges $50 to dump anything other than yard debris. Which is outrageous considering I pay an obscene amount of taxes every freakin' month for that service. But the landfill is now run by a contractor, so we are basically being overcharged for normal pick-up service.

I used the industrial strength Simple Green to scrub down the floors after emptying all the crap out. While it worked well enough, I think I would have gotten better results if I'd just used some Comet instead.

View of the trash. It's amazing how much junk was left from last week.

Oh I love that rear ramp!

And Oh! I love that mortar mixing bucket! That thing saved me from getting too "up close & personal" with the moldy rubber mat pieces. <shudder>

I finally dumped the last bucketful into the trailer.... and it promptly overbalanced to the rear. A little shifting of materials and everything was back to normal, but it really made me laugh at the time.

You can also see part of the tree damage from my original parking job. Eventually, the bus made it into the driveway, but its first job was to trim the tree.

There are one or two more photos up at the album http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skoolies/TygerCub/

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #105
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Just a couple of pics from this weekend. I didn't get half as much done as I wanted. But that's the nature of working on skoolies... take any estimated time of completion and multiply it by three!
Isn't that the truth? I'm learning. The hard way.
We didn't complete near what we intended to get done this weekend.
I'm learning that progress is progress, no matter how big OR small. Ours just happens to be small right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub

The little trailer is getting pretty full! That thing is invaluable.
I can relate to this. My hubby bought a similar trailer a while back from my stepdad and we have gotten SO much use out of that little thing that it's not even funny. We would be lost without it, for sure. Best money we have spent in years. (Well, besides the bus that is.)

Great work! Productive weekend!
Who could ask for more?

Blog: http://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #106
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

I'm drooling at all the pictures! You have made awesome progress.. BOB is lookin' good!
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:36 AM   #107
Bus Nut

Video for Day 10 & 11 is being stubborn and giving me a "connection timed out" error.
I'm going to give it one more shot, but if it still doesn't go through, I'll have to leave it til later or risk being late to work.

Looks like it went through. You can find all the videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TygerCub
Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #108
Skoolie

Good job- The high tech Captain D's cup to the rescue!!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #109
Bus Nut

Good news and bad news today.

The good news is today I was able to get out to BOB and painted the floor! YAY!

The bad news is after I got the camera setup, I realized I left the SD card at home in my computer! Waaa!

But... It's all good. The OSPHO rust inhibitor worked great. When I got inside, all the really ugly rust spots were completely transformed from the burnt sienna orange of rust into the dark blackish-brown of iron. Very cool. The entire floor (187 sq.ft.) was covered using a 3/4" nap roller to ensure the paint made it into all the pits, nooks and crannies. Even though that put down a thick layer of paint, there was still a 1/3 of a gallon left.

When I was done, I had an awesome "DOH!" moment too! I was SO careful not to box myself in, and to keep the fan blowing the fumes away from me, and to carry everything out the door while I did the last of the floor... EXCEPT THE PAINT CAN COVER!!! There it sat, mocking me from the wheel well. Cleverly disguised in it's flat, brown-against-whiteness. So totally OBVIOUS, that is! Like I said... a "DOH!" moment. Luckily, it was 97 degrees today, so the paint dried relatively quickly along that side of the bus where the sun shone in through the windows. After 30 minutes I could walk across the floor, the feel of which was reminiscent of walking across a movie theater floor that hasn't been mopped in a decade or so. You know... that little cddric-cddric-cddric sound shoes make as the sole peels up from the butter and soda coated cement? Yeah. It was just like that.

NOW

I'm ready to put down a vapor barrier, foam board and plywood.

Does anyone recommend any particular vapor barrier over another? I'll cross post this to the general public, but thought I'd ask here first.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #110
Skoolie

That's your story? left the SD card at home your secret is safe with me... I had a couple of those moments myself. Luckily for me there is a 4 inch metal ledge that I could tip-toe down, using the windows to keep from stepping on the floor. Whist I retrieved the ringing cell phone sitting in the back over the engine.

I used good ol reliable Tyvek http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/index.html house wrap. Easy to work with, and good stuff.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/