Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: TygerCub's Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
Have you petted the dash and steering wheel and told BOB that you love him, and he is a good bus?
Actually, that's not a bad idea. When I make an appointment with the garage, I'll prep BOB by doing just that. If that doesn't work, I'll try taking apart the glow plug switch and hot-wiring it. Last night I remembered the original owner had to do that with the old switch, so replaced it for me before handing over the keys. We've had a lot of rain lately, and he said the windshield leaked, which caused the short. <shrug> Might be it. Might not. Might just be the "lesson of the month".

Which it may very well be. I keep waiting to see what's going to happen this month.

CAUTION: Emotional venting ahead. Read at your own peril.

Except for January, which started out innocent enough, 2009 has really sucked.

February, the week before my ex and I were to go on a big "getaway weekend", he told me he "wasn't happy" and wanted a divorce. I really thought we'd work it out, and was hoping the weekend away from the area would give us some time together that we desperately needed. Instead, he was already looking for a house.

March, my Grandfather, who I was very close to, fell gravely ill and died within the space of three weeks. I got down to Florida to see him for a week when they put him in the hospital, and when I left, was under the impression he was going to pull through. But when I got home, they said he worsened and had to move him in a hospice where he could pass in peace.

April, the ex gets a hysterical phone call on Friday from his first wife claiming she's about to be evicted and we absolutely MUST take the kids (2 girls) right this very minute. After speaking with her for several minutes, the ex learned it wasn't such an emergency and he could pick the girls up on his regular day (Sunday), so we worked frantically to get a room cleared out and ready for them to live with us, spending more money than either of us could afford to buy bunk beds, sheets, etc. Turns out she wasn't being evicted, she just didn't want to take care of her children - both good kids - any more.

May, I became the "wicked stepmom". Not something I wanted to do, but when the kids started acting out and harming the house, which I am trying to sell, I started to enforce our rules. Unfortunately, the ex wasn't backing me up, so I became the constant bad guy for enforcing the restrictions. He would "say" he expected the rules to be followed, but would never follow through with the punishments, so effectively undermined both our efforts to provide some kind of structure to their already chaotic lives.

June, the ex moved into his new house. With the idea that he couldn't afford to buy new things, and I needed the house empty anyway to show to perspective buyers, I gave him practically everything. The washer/dryer, refrigerator, kitchen table & chairs, sofa, our big screen television & stand, and bed. That effectively cleaned out the house of all the furniture. I was buying BOB to live in anyway. Who needed the additional headache of trying to sell all that "stuff" once the house sold? I arranged to pick up BOB the same weekend he was moving so I wouldn't have to be there to witness a 9 year marriage walk out the door. I thought it would be easier that way. But coming home to a literally empty house hit me harder than I thought it would.

July, I get a call from my Aunt telling me Grandmother is in the hospital with heart problems - probably brought on by the stress of Grandaddy's death. I'm closer to Grandma than I was with Grandaddy, and this latest blow really wound me up tight. I don't know if I could handle three losses this year. They've put a pacemaker in to help regulate her heartbeat, so I can only cross my fingers and hope it helps her.

Now in August... Grandma was supposed to be here for a month's visit. Thank all that's Good, they caught her heart problem before flying out here, because if I came home from work and found her dead, I'd totally freakin' loose it. I'd fall apart. So... I'm waiting. I'm waiting to see what else is going to happen this month... and the next... I have to take one day at a time and just roll with it.

I have to believe in a greater purpose to all of this. I have to hope this constant pounding will forge me into something stronger instead of obliterate my will to keep going. And I have to pray that things will get better. The most destructive storms always pass, creating fertile ground for new growth. I gotta Believe... it will all work out. My remaining family and friends are very supportive, which is a Blessing. I just have to keep moving forward and not fall into the trap of looking back.

It's all any of us can do.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #132
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Mantra;

"Everyday in everyway, I'm getting better and better"

Say it and more importantly believe it and the world WILL turn in your favor.

The fact that Bob will not start is small stuff...don't sweat it. It is just another hurdle and i think you might find, much smaller than you think. The important thing here is, it is not your fault. Try cussing the designers(in a low tone) who designed the POS part while you work on it(or perhaps the marketing people). It helps as does an old fashion with quality bourbon at the end of the day.

You are already looking for alternatives to giving your money to someone else to remedy this problem so you are on the right path. Keep trying, do not except defeat, think outside the box, and gather your resources. I learn how to do damn near everything via internet and books and I get the impression you have the capability to do so as well. Mainly because you want to. You are in the minority. There are not very many men who have the guts to take on a project like this much less women. Hang in there and make it happen. In support I am throwing some good JU JU your direction.

S

ps try this link. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #133
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

"When it rains, it pours."

Sounds like you have been beat to death with downpours this year. I'm sending all the good healing/feeling vibes I can muster up your way.

Blog: http://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #134
Bus Nut

Thanks for the link. I guess what I really need to do is
1) Find a service manual... anyone know where, though??? Ebay has tons of manuals, but non of them seem to match what I have.
2) Take photos of things that are obviously wrong on the engine and see if you guys can tell me what each item is. That will at least get me going in the right direction while I'm hunting for the mysterious manual. It's hard to replace something when you don't even know the name of it, or its function.
3) Get BOB to the service station like I said I'd do originally. Yeah, I'll be spending money, but at least I'll know for a fact exactly what's wrong with him and what definitely needs fixing. I was hoping my cousin could do that, but he's got so many side projects going on right now that he just doesn't have the time.

Tomorrow I'm making the call as soon as the service station opens and make that "doctor's appointment" for BOB.

And thanks so much for the good vibes, guyz! I appreciate it. Y'all are good family!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #135
Bus Nut

Smitty, you're a genius!

Thanks for the link!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #136
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Did you try the ether TC?
Thanks for the tip, Vanguy. Just as soon as I figure out where to get ether, and what to shoot it into, I'll give it a try.
I did post to the thread Smitty replied, so if I'm lucky, might get a lead on a good service manual. All I need is an ISBN from the book to be able to order it...

It reached 100 here Sunday so I stayed inside and hybernated in the air conditioning. Unfortunately, it's supposed to be the same for the next couple of days, so I can't see much work getting done. No bus fixin, no lawn mowin, no bar-b-quein... nuttin til this freakin heat subsides.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #137
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas

When you are cranking over the engine is there smoke coming out the exhaust?? No smoke no fuel....Also is the engine spinning fast enough. If it is cranking to slow it will not fire. If you are going to use starting fluid find someone to help you.. You need to have the engine turning over when you spray the fluid into the intake. If not all of the fluid goes into just one of the cyl. and the engine will lock. Where if it is spinning it will go to all the cyl. and will fire better.

THE MOST IMPORANT THING IS IF YOU HAVE GLOW PLUGS DON"T USE THEM WITH THE STARTING FLUID. I HAVE SEEN INTAKE MANIFOLDS BLOWEN RIGHT OFF THE ENGINE>>

I all my year of being a diesel mechanic I have never been around to see it happen. But I have been there to pick up the pieces. And repair it....Thats my spin on things..Let me know if I can help...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #138
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Hey Tyger.

We know how you feel. One thing after another seems- the old "every time I make my mark, someone paints the wall" deal. We're to the point where doing all the "right" things gets us no where, so why not do something a little crazy, like living on a bus? Our whole family thinks we're stupid, they wont have anything to do with us... their loss.
Anyway I am a firm believer in all that metaphysical stuff. So, the law of yin/yang or what have you states, that a certain amount of screw-ups have to happen. I call it the 'F'- up fairy, you have to pay her off. Now you can do this a little at a time or in a lump sum- either way you will pay. So, all this bad stuff has to be paying your debt to her for many years. Soon as you hit the road things will get better. If everything went well, you'd get hit by a train 2 miles from the house. I'm just hoping have the little wench paid off for a while...

The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #139
Bus Nut

Well... I got out to the bus yesterday and took a bunch of photos of the engine.
Here's what I got, what I think I know, and the bits that just don't seem right...

Here's the engine from the driver's side.

The engine block with important information. I'm just surprised the label isn't protected better.

Here's the brake fluid reservoir... top says DOT 3 fluid. Notice at the bottom of the container that there's a broken sensor (circled in yellow). Sometimes it works and the alarm buzzes inside. Other times it stays silent.

The air filter. This looks clean to me. I think the original owner replaced all the filters before I picked it up.

Now the passenger's side of the engine compartment.

The alternator has a couple of wires hanging out of it that weren't connected inside the "cap". Not sure what the cap is, or what it does, but even my limited knowledge knows wires shouldn't be hanging loose like this.

And here's another mystery wire - this time above the place where you pour in oil (?). I can't tell if the thing is supposed to plug into something, or if it's just a terminal kinda thing?

Any help identifying things - or correcting me where I mislabeled something - would be greatly appreciated.
I have an appointment with the bus doctors this week "as soon as possible". Just gotta get a friend out there to squirt some "ether" into the "air intake" (?) to start it up, then away I'll go!

Oh Whee! Spending Moneeee!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #140
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67

Sometimes, only God Himself knows what all those loose wires and unidentified connectors were originally for.
You should see a photo of my electrical compartment... If I ever have to troubleshoot, I am up shits creek! Some day I guess I am going to have to figure out the mess as there is no schematic in existance that will help me here!!
Wait, I found some photos!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote